JL Dana 60 in a JK

Ran accross a Spicer UD 60 new in the crate for sale at a decent price. Only problem is it’s built for a JL. What modifications would be required to configure it to fit in my JK? Owner thinks it’s just Shock mounts, I have no idea 🤷
Rusty

Lperdue

The control arms mount locations on the rear are the same not sure about the sway bar links. But the shocks mounts a definitely mounted differently. As for the font I believe it’s completely different than the jk’s.

Its the rear axle only that I have found. Price is pretty good at $5 K brand new in box with Eaton Locker. Unfortunately set up for a JL. May be worth modifying and using a wider front axle when I find one. Still kicking the idea around

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Its the rear axle only that I have found. Price is pretty good at $5 K brand new in box with Eaton Locker. Unfortunately set up for a JL. May be worth modifying and using a wider front axle when I find one. Still kicking the idea around
Bolt pattern would be different than your front. I don’t think 60’s come in 5 on 5. If it’s 5 lug it’s probably 5 on 5.5.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The biggest difference is that it will be quite a bit wider than your front axle and as OverlanderJK pointed out, the bolt pattern will most likely be 8 lug. Gear ratio will not match any factory set as well. Otherwise, any bracket that might be off can always be cut off and a new one welded on.

Could easily be made to bolt up with some cutting and welding of brackets. But you’re gonna end up sitting on it for a while until you can buy a matching front.

Not in a hurry, and really don’t plan on going to 40” so this isn’t a must have. Gear ratio is 488, and here I wanna be once I move to 37”. Think this would commit me to a Dana 60 in the front, so not sure I will go this route. But not ruling it out either.

Not in a hurry, and really don’t plan on going to 40” so this isn’t a must have. Gear ratio is 488, and here I wanna be once I move to 37”. Think this would commit me to a Dana 60 in the front, so not sure I will go this route. But not ruling it out either.
For what it’s worth, if 40’s aren’t in your future I’d take that $5k and put it into a better front Axle and a re-gear and call it a day. I’ve been beating the absolute shit out of my front Tera44HD and my stock rear housing with 35 spline shafts for a long time both while running 38’s and 39’s and to completely honest I have zero desire to make a big jump up in axles and cost.

There are a few downsides to going to a 1 ton setup and if you’re not playing on big rocks and running big tires, it’s really not needed.

The BAD Influence

For what it’s worth, if 40’s aren’t in your future I’d take that $5k and put it into a better front Axle and a re-gear and call it a day. I’ve been beating the absolute shit out of my front Tera44HD and my stock rear housing with 35 spline shafts for a long time both while running 38’s and 39’s and to completely honest I have zero desire to make a big jump up in axles and cost.

There are a few downsides to going to a 1 ton setup and if you’re not playing on big rocks and running big tires, it’s really not needed.
This^. We play pretty hard with 38s. The only thing I've done to my rear 44 is replace the stock upper control arm mounts with ones from Artec.

Top Bottom