JKU on Tons

pvkj454

Thanks.

I noticed that the new Y pipe / cat assembly is purple after only a few miles of driving with a couple of full throttle accelerations. The little 3.8 is definitely maxed out trying to pull it. It has been replaced with a junkyard motor at some point. Good thing is no dash warning lights.

Last edited:

pvkj454

I decided to do the LS swap. I used the base RPM Extreme kit with a L96 and 6L80. I rebuilt the transmission and upgraded it with a Sonnax valve body kit and clutch pack upgrades. Installed a new Mopar fuel pump assembly while the body was off.

The bottom picture shows the radiators. L to R Camaro SS, 392, and JK. I would have used the Camaro SS but the drain location would have required notching the frame.

IMG_20220305_170659402 (2).jpg IMG_20220305_170800779.jpg IMG_20220413_150944636.jpg

Last edited:

pvkj454

I used the Mopar 392 radiator and transmission cooler. It required fabricating new lower mounts and mods to make the JK condenser fit. I have the JK fan rigged for use now while waiting on the 392 fan that is on national backorder. The tune supplied by RPM Extreme works great and only required a little tuning on the MAF for my intake system with HP Tuners. I have a couple of bugs to work out but it runs great. I will also add oil and power steering coolers.

IMG_20220620_170018537.jpg IMG_20220620_170258844.jpg IMG_20220620_170453799 (2).jpg

Last edited:

pvkj454

One thing that needed attention was the location of the canister. I had moved it above the rear axle which is common but there wasn't enough clearance with my trussed 14 bolt. Today I cut the ends off of the mounting bracket and welded a piece of angle on it. I bolted it to the rear crossmember using the hitch bolts. I used some 5/8 semi air brake tubing to extend the lines.

IMG_20220628_153004202.jpg

pvkj454

Maybe this could help someone out. My A/C button and fuel gauge were not working. The TIPM was not communicating correctly with the cluster. Scan tool read fuel % and turned on A/C. New Mopar fuel pump unit when the body was off for the LS swap. Checked wiring and eventually replaced TIPM, cluster, evap temperature sensor, and HVAC controller. I sent the new TIPM to Jon and he verified that it was working correctly. I re-installed the original cluster since it was not the issue. I fixed it by changing the Roll Counter Ignition Cycle reset from 16 to 3 with JScan then they both started working. I don't understand why this worked since I had reset everything using JScan before.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I decided to do the LS swap. I used the base RPM Extreme kit with a L96 and 6L80. I rebuilt the transmission and upgraded it with a Sonnax valve body kit and clutch pack upgrades. Installed a new Mopar fuel pump assembly while the body was off.

The bottom picture shows the radiators. L to R Camaro SS, 392, and JK. I would have used the Camaro SS but the drain location would have required notching the frame.

View attachment 376494 View attachment 376495 View attachment 376499
Nice work. I especially like the power wheels jeep up on the jack.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Thanks. My 4 year old grandson likes to work on his Jeep. Once he had it suspended mid air with a floor jack on one end and an engine hoist on the other.
That’s awesome. I made my son an old school wooden toolbox for Christmas one year and it’s awesome when he breaks it out to help me work on shit around the house.

pvkj454

One thing to note is that everything in the RPM Extreme kit worked flawlessly. Jon was very helpful even though the problems that I had were on the Jeep side and not related to his kit.

pvkj454

I got the 392 cooling fan installed and that thing can move some air. I added a terminal to the GM ECM connector for PWM control and used an 80 amp circuit breaker. I have also been doing some transmission tuning with HP Tuners and have it dialed in like I want. The only things left to do are an engine oil cooler and a PS pump upgrade.

IMG_20220820_155750975.jpg IMG_20220820_155840698.jpg

I got the 392 cooling fan installed and that thing can move some air. I added a terminal to the GM ECM connector for PWM control and used an 80 amp circuit breaker. I have also been doing some transmission tuning with HP Tuners and have it dialed in like I want. The only things left to do are an engine oil cooler and a PS pump upgrade.

View attachment 379794 View attachment 379795
You are not planning to have a snorkel? The filter looks like it can suck up water!

pvkj454

I have been daily driving it for several months and finally fixed the last problem. My steering gear had a partial internal blockage probably from a piece of Teflon lining of the failed original PS hose. Stock pumps were getting hot and screaming. I replaced the steering box with a Lares 11334 for a 13MY up JKU. I had to modify the pump bracket since the later steering gear is bigger to get some pulley clearance. I can't believe how much better it drives. The old box didn't have excessive play but I constantly had to correct the steering wheel. The rebuilt stock GM pump is quiet now and supplies plenty of pressure at idle for the box.

I also added ARB air lockers and a stock 3.6 air cleaner.

BrktMod (2).jpg UnderHood.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom