JKU on 42s. Would this work?

mackey

I plan on having a 600+ hp V-8 installed soon in my 2013 JKU.
I have Off Road Evolution‘s double throwdown, long arm set up with the Dynatrac 60/80 combo.

A local shop has 4 Nitto Trail Grapplers in 42s. I currently have 40s.

I would have to get 20 inch beadlocks.

Would this even work on my rig? Would I have major rubbing / clearance issues? My axles are 68.5 wide. Am I being dumb for even thinking of doing this? 😬
Thank you in advance.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You'll have major rubbing to address. Of course, trimming can fix a lot of that but it'll be a LOT of trimming. For reference, Mel used to run 42's on his JK back in 2009. He hasn't since and for a reason - same reason I don't when I could on Moby. There really isn't an appreciable benefit to having them. To me, 40's are as big as I personally would go. If anything, I've been kicking around the idea of going back to 40x15.50's and they would need 20" wheels.

Of course, that's just my opinion.

mackey

You'll have major rubbing to address. Of course, trimming can fix a lot of that but it'll be a LOT of trimming. For reference, Mel used to run 42's on his JK back in 2009. He hasn't since and for a reason - same reason I don't when I could on Moby. There really isn't an appreciable benefit to having them. To me, 40's are as big as I personally would go. If anything, I've been kicking around the idea of going back to 40x15.50's and they would need 20" wheels.

Of course, that's just my opinion.
Thank you Eddie. It is so tempting but I don’t want to kick myself afterwards if I do it. I appreciate your input.

Top Bottom