JKU Knuckles -- Balled Out??

So I went to Firestone to have my jeep alignment done since I just put a fresh set of new 37" Nittos on it. They did the crowbar test on the front wheels to see if the ball joints have failed and sure enough it wiggled. Additionally, they noticed the lower ball joints the bolts literally were loose (or seems so).

Well fail alignment run back home. I have the Dynatrac PR44 with their ball joints so I ordered a rebuild kit.

Taking down the knuckle it seems that the ball joints are still pretty good but the lower hole on the knuckle seems a loose fit. I found a place in WI with a set of Reid Racing Knuckles for $540 that I picked up. Just trying to figure out HOW DID THIS HAPPEN in the first place.??

Anyone else have the knuckles ball out??

jeeeep

Hooked
So I went to Firestone to have my jeep alignment done since I just put a fresh set of new 37" Nittos on it. They did the crowbar test on the front wheels to see if the ball joints have failed and sure enough it wiggled. Additionally, they noticed the lower ball joints the bolts literally were loose (or seems so).

Well fail alignment run back home. I have the Dynatrac PR44 with their ball joints so I ordered a rebuild kit.

Taking down the knuckle it seems that the ball joints are still pretty good but the lower hole on the knuckle seems a loose fit. I found a place in WI with a set of Reid Racing Knuckles for $540 that I picked up. Just trying to figure out HOW DID THIS HAPPEN in the first place.??

any chance it was the passenger side?

WJCO

Meme King

The only thing I can think that would cause the knuckle to wollow out would be a loose nut. The ball joint is a tapered stud, so if nut was torqued properly, the knuckle will not be damaged.

The only thing I can think that would cause the knuckle to wollow out would be a loose nut. The ball joint is a tapered stud, so if nut was torqued properly, the knuckle will not be damaged.
Yeah.... I could understand that if it was loose. But I never noticed it loose before. My axle was swapped out for the PR44 back in 2016/2017.

WJCO

Meme King
Yeah.... I could understand that if it was loose. But I never noticed it loose before. My axle was swapped out for the PR44 back in 2016/2017.
New or used? Any scoring in the knuckle bore as if it's been going on for awhile?

jeeeep

Hooked
Yes, the passenger side.... Did this happen to you?
it did, also on PR44 installed by a local shop.

no clue what caused it other than what WJCO mentioned.

My theory after replacing the knuckles and ball joints, when the joint was torqued it wasn't tightened to to the next castle but instead loosened. Both joints I installed almost lined up with the cotter pin hole at torque, the hole was was just barely visible at torque and it would've been easy to back it off instead of going tighter. Just my theory but I went tighter per the instructions.

it did, also on PR44 installed by a local shop.

no clue what caused it other than what WJCO mentioned.

My theory after replacing the knuckles and ball joints, when the joint was torqued it wasn't tightened to to the next castle but instead loosened. Both joints I installed almost lined up with the cotter pin hole at torque, the hole was was just barely visible at torque and it would've been easy to back it off instead of going tighter. Just my theory but I went tighter per the instructions.
Yeah, I am thinking the same thing.... Anyway Saturday my Reid Racing Knuckles arrive so I will install those and see if I get some hate mail from the HOA because my Jeep is on Jack stands in the driveway... :)

New or used? Any scoring in the knuckle bore as if it's been going on for awhile?
I cannot really tell if the Ball joint pin has any scoring. I did check the dimension of the pin and it is the same as the original 44 that can with the jeep. (yes I still have the carcass).

BTW, if anyone wants a stock stripped 44 front tell me....

Okay.... Well I am getting too old for working on my jeep but I have rebuilt the Dynatrac Ball Joints and installed the New Reid Racing knuckles. But now I need to change the positioning of my Steering stabalizer as it hits on the Tie Rod. 20230108_161433.jpg 20230108_161435.jpg 20230108_161456.jpg 20230108_161459.jpg

Top Bottom