JK Swaybar Disco Rebuilds?

DanW

Is there any vendor in the aftermarket that remanufactures or sells remanufactured sway bar disconnects? My old JK may be in need of a new one and they are ridiculously expensive.

If not, where is the best source for discounted Mopar parts?

Thanks!

Ddays

Hooked
If you have a compressor why not use the Evo No limits air disconnect? It's pretty handy being able to disconnect in 2wd and at speed on backroads

DanW

If you have a compressor why not use the Evo No limits air disconnect? It's pretty handy being able to disconnect in 2wd and at speed on backroads
I'll take a look, but I don't have an on-board compressor. But I also think the issue is not in the actuator, but rather in the mechanism. I think mud/water has corroded it over time.

What page is it on in that build thread?

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
They are easy to take apart and clean. Mine was locked up when I bought it, disassembled, and cleaned and repacked with grease to prevent it rusting again.

DanW

They are easy to take apart and clean. Mine was locked up when I bought it, disassembled, and cleaned and repacked with grease to prevent it rusting again.

Yes, that's the first thing I'll do with it. If it does turn out to be the actuator, it looks like they are expensive enough that it may be not much more to buy the whole thing. I will have it off soon anyway and can crack it open to see the situation. I've got a steering component skid plate coming that uses the sway bar mounts, so it'll be an easy check.

I also may bo with a manual actuator. I think one of those can be had for under a hundred bucks. But I do like the convenience of the button.

Bierpower

Hooked
Like cozdude, mine quit working shortly after getting the jeep and it was rested inside. Cleaned it out and greased it and it's been running strong.

If the motor failed on mine I would for sure go Evo no limits actuator.

DanW

I'll be cracking it open when I get the steering component skid plate and have to unbolt it.

What kind of grease did you guys use? Marine? Also, did you do anything extra to seal the housing when you put it back together?

Bierpower

Hooked
I just used an all purpose grease but I put a thin layer over everything inside. Putting it back together I smeared the gasket with a film of RTV. If you use too much you chance it squeezing into the gears and causing more harm than good.

Top Bottom