JK/JKU Frame Swap

stainlesself

Hi everyone, I got a 2011 JKU with 150k on it, and being from an area of hash winter the frame has some rust on it. Most of the frame's rust is surface and easily fixable however, in other areas the rust has penetrated deeper. No holes or structural integrity is lost yet.
My question is has anyone swapped out their old JKU frame for a brand new one and if so how much did it cost etc. Or is it even worth doing that?
Thanks for the responses I appreciate the help!

pvkj454

I swapped mine because it was bent and paid $600 for a good used one from a salvage yard. It is much easier and safer to remove the body with a 2 post lift than rigging up jacks and tall stands.

Also look at your front body apron horns behind the radiator support area. I have seen those rust out on Northeastern JKs. They would have to be sleeved and welded in.

JSFoster75

I found a local guy near me (Northeast TN) that does an amazing job at rust repair on Jeep frames... I found him by talking to several local Jeep dealers, you may want to try the same... He's done 2 Jeeps for me so far, nothing but great things to say about his work.

Ddays

Hooked
Hi everyone, I got a 2011 JKU with 150k on it, and being from an area of hash winter the frame has some rust on it. Most of the frame's rust is surface and easily fixable however, in other areas the rust has penetrated deeper. No holes or structural integrity is lost yet.
My question is has anyone swapped out their old JKU frame for a brand new one and if so how much did it cost etc. Or is it even worth doing that?
Thanks for the responses I appreciate the help!
@Ddays has a frame swap years ago I think.

Mine was swapped out due to an accident so that replacement cost was surely inflated some. You can find good frames out there for $1000-$1200 on ebay. If your frame isn't too bad as you stated why not just clean it up & paint with POR or some other rust neutralizing paint?

stainlesself

Mine was swapped out due to an accident so that replacement cost was surely inflated some. You can find good frames out there for $1000-$1200 on ebay. If your frame isn't too bad as you stated why not just clean it up & paint with POR or some other rust neutralizing paint?
I have started doing that, especially on the rear of the Jeep where the rust seems to be "worst". However, underneath a few cross-members in the back seem to be the worst rusted which will require the Jeep to be removed from the frame to take those out and replace them. I figured if the Jeep is going to be removed and the plan is to have an LS/LT engine swap done in about 3 years might make sense to replace the frame while everything is off and being transferred.

Ddays

Hooked
I have started doing that, especially on the rear of the Jeep where the rust seems to be "worst". However, underneath a few cross-members in the back seem to be the worst rusted which will require the Jeep to be removed from the frame to take those out and replace them. I figured if the Jeep is going to be removed and the plan is to have an LS/LT engine swap done in about 3 years might make sense to replace the frame while everything is off and being transferred.
Not saying your rust isn't serious, but I have never seen or heard of a JK frame rusting through.

If an LS/LT swap in in the cards why not prep a separate frame for that deal when the time comes? If you're going with an axle swap and possible suspension mods it'd be a helluva lot easier to have a rolling chassis prepped & ready to just drop a body onto.

stainlesself

Not saying your rust isn't serious, but I have never seen or heard of a JK frame rusting through.

If an LS/LT swap in in the cards why not prep a separate frame for that deal when the time comes? If you're going with an axle swap and possible suspension mods it'd be a helluva lot easier to have a rolling chassis prepped & ready to just drop a body onto.
That is actually a pretty good suggestion, have the new frame prepped and ready to go than all that needs to be done is swap over the axles and engine.

And good to know a JK Frame has never rusted through takes a bit of the worry off.

Thanks!

kevman65

Hooked
No, he didn't say it has never happened, he said he's never heard of nor seen it happen.

It still could have happened.

Ddays

Hooked
That is actually a pretty good suggestion, have the new frame prepped and ready to go than all that needs to be done is swap over the axles and engine.

And good to know a JK Frame has never rusted through takes a bit of the worry off.

Thanks!
No, he didn't say it has never happened, he said he's never heard of nor seen it happen.

It still could have happened.
^^
I'd still continue checking your frame, but if you don't see anything too serious or rusted through I'd just do the cleanup and coating on it.

stainlesself

^^
I'd still continue checking your frame, but if you don't see anything too serious or rusted through I'd just do the cleanup and coating on it.
Nothing too serious underneath that is compromising structural integrity yet. So I will just do cleanup and coating for now.

Of you do choose to replace your Jeep frame, then I suggest using one made out of stainless steel in order to solve the rust problem, and because you identify as stainless.

Top Bottom