JK Exo cages

Tylerself17

I found these the other day and I've absolutely fallen in love, anyone know who's this is or how hard it would be to actually get this set up? ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1454133985.671905.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1454134001.226581.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1454134010.864464.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1454134020.735659.jpg

Sharkey

Word Ninja
So what happens when the body tries to move on the mounts since it appears the rocker guards are mounted to the frame, the exo skeleton, and the flares?

To each their own, but to me that jeep belongs in the burn it with fire thread.

Last edited:

Tylerself17

So what happens when the body tries to move on the mounts since it appears the rocker guards are mounted to the frame, the skeleton, and the flares?

How exactly would you guys go about doing an exo cage? Obviously leave it off the rockers, but is there any way that I could do this without it damaging the vehicle or not working properly? I was thinking that if I did it I would install Hinges on the back so that I could still remove the hardtop whenever I wanted. I don't really know much in the way of cages or exo armor, but could it be done in your book correctly?
:thinking:

jeeeep

Hooked
do you want it just for looks?

doesn't look like it would protect for reasons already mentioned plus body will still get scratched up (maybe from rubbing on the exo), in a roll over the frame would likely crumple into the body and possibly make it more difficult to get the passengers out. if you hinge it, it makes the exo structurally weaker.

I'd like to see this kind of stuff in actual crash tests but I suspect as it is with a lot of other stuff out there, it looks cool and easy to state it'll protect you.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Didn't they do a jk exo cage on extreme off-road a couple of years ago? Maybe have a look at that for ideas on how to do it. I think to pull it off successfully you'd have to hard mount the body to the frame and cage which brings about its own problems with torsional rigidity.

T&ERun

LOSER
So what happens when the body tries to move on the mounts since it appears the rocker guards are mounted to the frame, the skeleton, and the flares?

The rocker guards being tied to the frame would be no different than EVO weld on sliders. In the 4th picture you can tell the flares are not tied into the body. Not sure what you mean by skeleton? The body isn't going to move enough to hit any of the tubes. I think it would work fine. There are plenty of rigs out there on the trails running exterior cages that take a beating and are fine. I'm personally not a fan of them either, but I'm not going to say it needs to go into the burn pile. Cool rig in my opinion.

Exodus 4x4

I'm not sure what the point would be. You would actually cause more damage to the jeep having it than not having it. You hit something and it's going to transfer to everything else. Not to mention it looks like shit.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug

The body gets messed up.

or when you flip and the tubes just get bent into the JEEP...

Fixed it for you, it's not a car damn it. Lol.

Didn't they do a jk exo cage on extreme off-road a couple of years ago? Maybe have a look at that for ideas on how to do it. I think to pull it off successfully you'd have to hard mount the body to the frame and cage which brings about its own problems with torsional rigidity.

Yeah the did one on Xtreme 4x4 but I can't remember how all the did it.

The best way (and really it should be the only way in my opinion) is to actually build a chassis to hard mount the body onto and mount the exo cage to that as well. If it has actual body mounts, like the JK, it will more than likely sustain body damage very easily since the body will flex on the frame.

Irregardless if that jeep goes offroad or not, that "exo cage" is simply for looks. I would not trust that thing if my life depended on it, and it kind of does.

T&ERun

LOSER
I think it's just for looks. Jeep doesn't look like it's even been taken off road.

Take a look at the inside of the right rear tire. The Jeep has been offroad. The owner just likes a clean Jeep. I guess GCM 2 doesn't go offroad either. His Jeep is too clean.

View attachment 185075 here's a better looking Exo cage bigger tubing reinforced better this was built by a shop by my house

I think they look pretty neat. Not something I would do personally but I can respect it. If done right I could see how it would prevent damage in some areas. The only problem I could think of is potential frame damage. With all that tubing being attached to the frame, what happens in the event of some sort of accident?

Tylerself17

I think they look pretty neat. Not something I would do personally but I can respect it. If done right I could see how it would prevent damage in some areas. The only problem I could think of is potential frame damage. With all that tubing being attached to the frame, what happens in the event of some sort of accident?

I've seen this guy on Instagram and he wheels the crap out of it, and she's flopped more than her fair share. If done right I really think it would work, maybe not all over the place like the original one but in just a few spots tied together, also regardless of if you do roll, the cage may Bend into the body, but I'm willing to bet it would be better to have that there than nothing at all! Also I really don't plan on rolling anytime soon [emoji23]

Sharkey

Word Ninja
The rocker guards being tied to the frame would be no different than EVO weld on sliders. In the 4th picture you can tell the flares are not tied into the body. Not sure what you mean by skeleton? The body isn't going to move enough to hit any of the tubes.

The difference is if the point welded to the frame is also attached to the body. EVO's sliders are not attached to the body. It looked to me like these sliders were attached to the frame and the fenders. If the fenders aren't attached to the body anymore then I guess that problem is solved. However, I think you are dead wrong and the body will flex into the bars.

MTG

Caught the Bug
"What a beautiful California day, think I'll take the top off and enjoy the sunshine…oh wait." :doh:

Top Bottom