JK c gusset and trusses

Don't waste your money getting trusses. They will not keep the tube from bending at the pumpkin and there is a better chance than not that the installation of the trusses will actually bend your axle.

Edit: Eddie beat me to the punch.

SO why no truss? Ive read reviews that say they are a great addition and definitely will add strength.

SO why no truss? Ive read reviews that say they are a great addition and definitely will add strength.

The installation process routinely bends the tubes.

(And whose reviews?)

Edit: my comment in the post you quoted was not written well so I just went back and fixed it. Sleeves don't prevent bending at the pumpkin; truss installation often bends the tubes.

Last edited:
I'm wondering the same thing? If the truss is installed correctly limiting the heat input and possibly even pre stressing the housing it shouldn't bend the tubes. The physics suggest it should add significant strength to the tubes themselves but depending on design may not do much to strengthen the area immediately next to the pumpkin.

Where do the d44 front axles normally bend? Obviously at the C's but do they bend at the pumpkin or around the control arm mounts?

I'm wondering the same thing? If the truss is installed correctly limiting the heat input and possibly even pre stressing the housing it shouldn't bend the tubes. The physics suggest it should add significant strength to the tubes themselves but depending on design may not do much to strengthen the area immediately next to the pumpkin.

Where do the d44 front axles normally bend? Obviously at the C's but do they bend at the pumpkin or around the control arm mounts?

At the pumpkin.

I talked with a fabricator who had just done a massive truss on JK front axle. The axle has to be stripped down, including the carrier bearings and seals. They use a steel shaft that's machined just right to check for tube strait-ness to make sure the axle doesn't get bent. If you re-use your gears, they still have to set up again as the gear mesh will change after all the heat the axle gets. It was for a customer. His advice was that it's better to just get a bigger axle like a dynatrac if you need the strength.

Don't know who's "reviews" you're reading but your money is yours to spend and if you're looking for something to throw it at, knock yourself out.

At the pumpkin.

Yup, they still end up bending right at the pumpkin.

I talked with a fabricator who had just done a massive truss on JK front axle. The axle has to be stripped down, including the carrier bearings and seals. They use a steel shaft that's machined just right to check for tube strait-ness to make sure the axle doesn't get bent. If you re-use your gears, they still have to set up again as the gear mesh will change after all the heat the axle gets. It was for a customer. His advice was that it's better to just get a bigger axle like a dynatrac if you need the strength.

Yup, the fabricator you talked you is spot on. And, the real fact of the matter is that SPEED more than rock crawling is what will ultimately bend an axle housing. If you're not in an area where you can open up your Jeep and bomb your way across the desert, you're more than likely going to be fine with just c-gussets. And, IF you end up bending your housing, it's not like it's going to leave you high and dry on the trail. You'll still be able to drive just fine and get home without any problems. This is the biggest reason why I try to encourage people to SAVE THEIR MONEY and spend it on things they actually NEED. But hey, that's just my opinion :yup:

Don't know who's "reviews" you're reading but your money is yours to spend and if you're looking for something to throw it at, knock yourself out.

Yup, they still end up bending right at the pumpkin.

Yup, the fabricator you talked you is spot on. And, the real fact of the matter is that SPEED more than rock crawling is what will ultimately bend an axle housing. If you're not in an area where you can open up your Jeep and bomb your way across the desert, you're more than likely going to be fine with just c-gussets. And, IF you end up bending your housing, it's not like it's going to leave you high and dry on the trail. You'll still be able to drive just fine and get home without any problems. This is the biggest reason why I try to encourage people to SAVE THEIR MONEY and spend it on things they actually NEED. But hey, that's just my opinion :yup:

Thanks Eddie, if they bend at the pumpkin then i agree it's pointless.

I'm only on 33s at the moment and won't be going bigger than true 35s because of local laws so I'm not sure a PR44 is really justified. I've come down hard on the pumpkin a few times on both rocks and deep ruts with no issues so far but I really don't want a bent axle and am looking for a bit of insurance

Top Bottom