JK 4.0 HO Swap for real.

The advantage we have over here is all the parts without the international shipping markup, but we aren't allowed to put an engine and controls that is older than the vehicle it goes into. So the 4.0 'upgrade' isn't an option here. A lot of people have told me over the years how much they wish their JK had the old 4 liter inline, so it's cool to see one happening.

On the AMC engine side, when I was 16 I had an old '69 Javelin with a 343 and a 4-speed. I built the engine and gutted the car to get rid of any weight I didn't need and it was a great toy. Would have loved to get behind a 401.

Well it could be reserved for a trail rig jk. So I assume that all of these 4BT swaps are with new engines then if you cannot use old engines? How about a brand new 4.0 crate engine?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using WAYALIFE mobile app

By the time I got out it was sunk up to the windshield. Got recovered and still drove around whooping land rovers. Comes naturally to wranglers ;)

Quick update. Got most of the dash back in and finished tearing out the old wiring. Ive been driving it to work over the last week and I can categorically say that I have absolutely no regrets. I am very pleased with the driving characteristics and the sway is greatly reduced in the corners and during side winds. No Sway bars front or rear. :thumbup:

Well it could be reserved for a trail rig jk. So I assume that all of these 4BT swaps are with new engines then if you cannot use old engines? How about a brand new 4.0 crate engine?

Unfortunately it isn't the year the block was cast and the engine built but the engine year - when it went into production. For the 4.0 it would depend on which induction and control modules you have that determines its year (along with the serial number). A new crate with modern, certified emissions controls would work great.

Unfortunately it isn't the year the block was cast and the engine built but the engine year - when it went into production. For the 4.0 it would depend on which induction and control modules you have that determines its year (along with the serial number). A new crate with modern, certified emissions controls would work great.

OK so the fact that 96-06 is obdII and so is the 3.8 is not good enough? Are all states the same?

Well the CRD stinks. Only got 22 imperial mpg with 35's on 4.10 gears. My 91 2 door xj 4.0 HO/AW4 with 244,000 miles on it rollin on 33's with 3.55 gears gets 27 imperial mpg. Plus diesel is 10 pence (16 cents) per litre more in England.

Love this "ONLY got 22 mpg with 35s" .... if I could get anywhere NEAR 22 mpg with 35s I'd be a happy man.... would kill to have a crd or any diesel in my jeep.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Love this "ONLY got 22 mpg with 35s" .... if I could get anywhere NEAR 22 mpg with 35s I'd be a happy man.... would kill to have a crd or any diesel in my jeep.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thats 22 imperial gallons sir. American gallons are smaller. I got 24 imperial mpg out of my 4.0 JK with my last tank. 90% highway.

OK so the fact that 96-06 is obdII and so is the 3.8 is not good enough? Are all states the same?

I don't think so, the Republic of Cali is in a different place than the rest of the country (or world) philosophically. Only a few home made vehicles a year (limited number) can get titled, most aftermarket items will say 49 state legal and stuff like that. I think if you are anywhere else here you can swap what you want and no one cares

Backwards, but I see the difference, it looks like the British gallon is almost 30% bigger than the US gallon.

Its a damn shame the that the British government left a bad vibe in the states back in the day. If the british and americans hadnt had an argument you guys would probably be getting more MPG right now! ;)

This all really started to hit the fan with cash for clunkers. They, the EPA, and others are trying to clean up the air by getting rid of all the older vehicles. Unfortunately a lot of good classics were lost in this process. Changes were made in the Clean Air laws to stop the crushing of desirable models if you put in a newer motor then what it came with unless it met classic guidelines then you have mileage limits per year. Now the modified vehicle laws require same year or newer, modified meaning any deviation from stock configuration and not replacement parts, any make can go in and it must meet all stock EPA parameters for that make motor and year. That is if your state requires them and you want to drive it on any public road. Most states don't care as long as all safety features work. But for resale keeping it close to stock will matter and is a bargaining chip for the seller. Great to see someone using common sense instead of following a law to make something better. There are a lot of diehard 4.0 guys over here in the US!

That cash for clunkers makes me sick. The destruction of cars that have already been built only means more new cars must be built. That is not good for the environment. If anything they should encourage people to keep the cars they already have. But oh no that would not suit the money grabbing car makers or the tax system and there alterior motives. Corporate greed is the culprit. My 91 xj has no catalytic converter, 252,000 miles on the clock and a CO reading of 1.42 that is very clean. The allowance in england for that age of vehicle is 3.5. Most New cars are puny and there small highly tuned engines have decent power but on the flip side that causes them to have a very short lifespan. Ford ecoboost engines engines are a prime example.

Sorry that was meant to say 2 negative individuals. Bound to be more.

Dont worry about what other people say, some people just like to up their post numbers. I think its great you are thinking outside the box and not just building another cookie cutter JK with a Hemi or LS engine in it. I loved the old 4.0l, they would run forever if you changed the oil regularly. Here is a picture of one of my old XJ's with a 4.ol in it.

Attachments

• IMG_0106.JPG
    IMG_0106.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
Dont worry about what other people say, some people just like to up their post numbers. I think its great you are thinking outside the box and not just building another cookie cutter JK with a Hemi or LS engine in it. I loved the old 4.0l, they would run forever if you changed the oil regularly. Here is a picture of one of my old XJ's with a 4.ol in it.

That is one sweet xj. I have a 2 door xj on 33x12.50r15. With regards to the JK I did the swap for reliability and maintenance reasons. All the can bus has gone in favour of conventional wiring. I love the practicality and long wheelbase of the JK but the electronics I could not stand.

Cookie cutter with a hemi or LS? :thinking:

Cookie cutter with a hemi or LS? :thinking:

I think he meant cookie cutter in terms of swaps. They are common with regards to which engine is swapped. He didn't mean they are everywhere.

I think he meant cookie cutter in terms of swaps. They are common with regards to which engine is swapped. He didn't mean they are everywhere.

Putting a hemi or LS in a jeep is no simple task and takes some serious coin and makes an elite jeep there's nothing cookie cutter about it, I would consider that an insult if I had gone through all of that on my jeep.. That being said I fully understand what you are doing on a budget and why, good luck with your project! :thumb:

Top Bottom