Jeep Wave from Missouri

Alpine_Kid

So what does a guy do (or not do) to keep from getting a reputation as a "mall crawler"?

Right now we're pretty much stock. The only things I added were a mesh grill insert to keep rocks from punching a hole in the radiator (and bigger bugs from clogging it), and a soft top for summer. A lift, big tires and fancy wheels won't be an option for another three or four years. Same with a winch and other stuff.

So I know I haven't screwed this up yet with "mall crawler" wannabe crap. I just want to know more about what to avoid.

And if this belongs in a different thread, please point me to the right one.

Last edited:

black pearl

Hooked
So what does a guy do (or not do) to keep from getting a reputation as a "mall crawler"?

Right now we're pretty much stock. The only things I added were a mesh grill insert to keep rocks from punching a hole in the radiator (and bigger bugs from clogging it), and a soft top for summer. A lift, big tires and fancy wheels won't be an option for another three or four years. Same with a winch and other stuff.

So I know I haven't screwed this up yet with "mall crawler" wannabe crap. I just want to know more about what to avoid.

Wheel it! They are built to do more the Cruise the local parking lots. They are very capable right out the box.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Stotch

Caught the Bug

Wheel it! They are built to do more the Cruise the local parking lots. They are very capable right out the box.

Yup, take it off the roads. Get it dirty (dent and scratch it if you can bear it), even if it's just fire roads, just get it out and enjoy it!

Here in Missouri Mark Twain has a LOT of great spots for beginners. Just throw a pin in the map and GO!

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

Put whatever you want on it. It's yours. Enjoy it, though. They are fun off road, bone stock.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Don't even worry about, I'm sure you've been called worse in your life.

I'd be more worried about the screen name "alpine kid" when you live in Missouri. [emoji23]

Alpine_Kid

I picked Alpine_Kid because I was born, raised and want (someday) to go back to my home state of Colorado. If I were rich, I'd retire to home on the Crystal River up near Marble, built near a large meadow you can see from Colorado 133.

I was born up in the northwestern corner but grew up in a small town between Montrose and Grand Junction. My first four-wheeling was at age 14 when we took my dad's 1963 International Scout 80 half-cab up a steep and muddy trail near Paonia Reservoir to go elk hunting on the plateau. That was the first 4x4 I took up into the San Juans above Ouray, and up the Pipeline Road onto the side of the Grand Mesa. In college I rented a Jeep from Switzerland of America and took my dad up into Yankee Boy - his first time there, but not mine. "The Mesa," West Elks, San Juans and Flattops (near Glenwood) were our playground as a family. I hunted, fished, backpacked, went skiing and camped all over the western slope, and we also spent time near Moab and in the Arches National Park.

This is a video of the backyard playground I had as a child, but shot by someone with a much better camera and editing skills:

https://vimeo.com/186483277

I'm in Missouri because that's my wife's home state and, to be with her, I had to be here.

The Jeep was bought, in part, to check off a bunch of stuff on my bucket list: Imogene, Black Bear, Cinnamon, Corkscrew, Schofield/Devil's Punchbowl, Engineer,...that I never got to cover with the Scout (and now wouldn't want to) . . . plus a few roads (if you could call them that) that don't even have names.

Eddie's "Keep It Tight" series from the WAL run through Colorado was fun to watch because they were hanging around my playground. It would have been a hoot to be on that road trip with them. It's always fun (funny) to see people try to pronounce "Ouray" for the first time.

So, yeah, "Alpine_Kid" doesn't jive for someone living in Missouri. But there's the backstory. I'm an Alpine Kid.

Last edited:

Clutch

Caught the Bug
I picked Alpine_Kid because I was born, raised and want (someday) to go back to my home state of Colorado.

I was born up in the northwestern corner but grew up in a small town between Montrose and Grand Junction. My first four-wheeling was at age 14 when we took my dad's 1963 International Scout 80 half-cab up a steep and muddy trail near Paonia Reservoir to go elk hunting on the plateau. That was the first 4x4 I took up into the San Juans above Ouray, and up the Pipeline Road onto the side of the Grand Mesa. In college I rented a Jeep from Switzerland of America and took my dad up into Yankee Boy - his first time there, but not mine. "The Mesa," West Elks, San Juans and Flattops (near Glenwood) were our playground as a family. I hunted, fished, backpacked, went skiing and camped all over the western slope, and we also spent time near Moab and in the Arches National Park.

I'm in Missouri because that's my wife's home state and, to be with her, I had to be here.

The Jeep was bought, in part, to check off a bunch of stuff on my bucket list: Imogene, Black Bear, Cinnamon, Corkscrew, Engineer,...that I never got to cover with the Scout (and now wouldn't want to) . . . plus a few roads (if you could call them that) that don't even have names.

Eddie's "Keep It Tight" series from the WAL run through Colorado was fun to watch because they were hanging around my playground. It would have been a hoot to be on that road trip with them. It's always fun (funny) to see people try to pronounce "Ouray" for the first time.

So, yeah, "Alpine_Kid" doesn't jive for someone living in Missouri. But there's the backstory. I'm an Alpine Kid.

I'm just playin. I hope I didn't offend you. The good news at least is that Colorado is a pretty easy drive from here.

My wife is the reason I'm in the metro Stl area. I would be much happy where it wasn't so dang flat!

Alpine_Kid

No offense taken. My grandfather once told me, very quietly, "You can be offended, or you can take offense where none is intended. Know the difference."

Missouri isn't as flat as Nebraska!

Clutch

Caught the Bug
No offense taken. My grandfather once told me, very quietly, "You can be offended, or you can take offense where none is intended. Know the difference."

Missouri isn't as flat as Nebraska!

Actually there are some nice areas to trail ride in Missouri. But man here near stl it is flat. I grew up in southern Indiana and couldn't wait to leave but I really enjoy the visits and all the rolling hills.

Top Bottom