Jeep JL Steering Issue AFTER lift

ohatt03

This is my first post here so go easy on me.

Been having steering issues with my 2021 Wrangler Ecodiesel after getting a lift install...

I just bought my Jeep about a month ago... I planned on getting it lifted right away so I ordered a lift through the dealership which would actually be installed by their partner company across the street that deals with custom installs.

The kit that I ordered is the RC 3.5” stage two kit for the Wrangler Ecodiesel. I have heard some comments about RC’s quality, but they have come a long way... and I actually think the lift is of “decent” quality. It’s one of their more “complete” lift packages. It comes with the adjustable track bar and adjustable control arms included. See lift below if you are interested...

https://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-s...nd=2021-jeep-wrangler-jl-unlimited-4wd-756574

So, the shop went ahead and installed it and I picked it up.. they also installed 35” Wrangler Duratracs.
Let’s just say this.... my drive home was a scary one. It was tracking all over the place on the freeway. Oddly enough, there is more play in the wheel when turning to the right.... I have to turn about 45 degrees before it starts to turn. I was drifting all over the road.

I’ve had lifted vehicles in the past, so I know not to expect a “stock” ride, but this was just plain dangerous.

So I send it back to the shop, they say they check everything and say the lift is installed correctly. They wanted me to come pick it up.

I should have mentioned that they said they also aligned it after the lift was installed.

I’m beginning to think that this shop likely just doesn’t have a lot of experience with 4x4s and lifted vehicles, and have not adjusted the control arms or something correctly.

Anybody have any experience with a similar issue? I’ll not super mechanically savvy.

Thanks!

WJCO

Meme King
This is my first post here so go easy on me.

Been having steering issues with my 2021 Wrangler Ecodiesel after getting a lift install...

I just bought my Jeep about a month ago... I planned on getting it lifted right away so I ordered a lift through the dealership which would actually be installed by their partner company across the street that deals with custom installs.

The kit that I ordered is the RC 3.5” stage two kit for the Wrangler Ecodiesel. I have heard some comments about RC’s quality, but they have come a long way... and I actually think the lift is of “decent” quality. It’s one of their more “complete” lift packages. It comes with the adjustable track bar and adjustable control arms included. See lift below if you are interested...

https://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-s...nd=2021-jeep-wrangler-jl-unlimited-4wd-756574

So, the shop went ahead and installed it and I picked it up.. they also installed 35” Wrangler Duratracs.
Let’s just say this.... my drive home was a scary one. It was tracking all over the place on the freeway. Oddly enough, there is more play in the wheel when turning to the right.... I have to turn about 45 degrees before it starts to turn. I was drifting all over the road.

I’ve had lifted vehicles in the past, so I know not to expect a “stock” ride, but this was just plain dangerous.

So I send it back to the shop, they say they check everything and say the lift is installed correctly. They wanted me to come pick it up.

I should have mentioned that they said they also aligned it after the lift was installed.

I’m beginning to think that this shop likely just doesn’t have a lot of experience with 4x4s and lifted vehicles, and have not adjusted the control arms or something correctly.

Anybody have any experience with a similar issue? I’ll not super mechanically savvy.

Thanks!

Welcome to Wayalife. By the way, your link came up with an 'error' page. If I had to guess, they didn't install it correctly somehow or didn't adjust caster correct. Did the kit come with a drop pitman arm?

Also, the JL had a re-designed steering box recall. See if you have the new box or post a picture of the steering box and others here will know if it's the new one. But if you weren't having any issues before the lift kit install, then it's probably not the box anyways.

ohatt03

I’m pretty sure the 2021 models have the new steering box and aren’t affected by the recall. But this is just what I’ve read

trailraider

didn't adjust caster correct.

What WJCO said, this is where I would start. I can't tell you how many we some come in with issues after getting an alignment done at an aftermarket shop. They set to what the machine says and kick it out the door. they then show up looking for warranty cause it drives shitty. we see a lot come in with a 2.5 deg setting. should be closer to 4.5- 5 deg.

Last edited:

jdofmemi

I'd also check your tire pressure along with everything else being stated.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

☝️This☝️is the first thing I would check.

Try about 28 psi as a starting point.

For best results, chalk test your tires and adjust pressure from there.

Also have someone work the steering back and forth while you look for movement. Specifically check both ends of the track bar as this is a common place for problems.

ScoobyCarolanNC

Sucks that they gave you the rig back in that shape. Did they give you a sheet of paper with all the alignment angles? Most shops do and it shows how far off you were before and after. Maybe they aligned it before the work lol.

tysongladiator

I just posted this on another post:

I'm not saying check behind your shop's work, but I am saying check all bolts for proper torque. Had the TSB done and steering was worse. Thought of different reasons and changed different things. Turns out the pitman arm nut wasn't even hand tight. That nut requires 177ft/lbs. I tightened it up and it was good for a day or so. Then back loose again. Did some checking and that nut requires loctite. Which kinda makes sense because it is a constant moving back and forth part. Older rigs have a castle nut. So, check all bolts steering and suspension related for proper torque. Also make sure that none of the other bolts require loctite. Everybody makes mistakes.

Top Bottom