Jeep JK Wrangler 730N/RHR Radio Installation Write-Up

jkbarnett

Wow, lots of great info. I've had luck with my iPhone and the 730 working. Jeep and radio are 2012's. I did get a update cd in the mail one year after I purchased the jeep but haven't done one since. Thanks for the great resource.

WxNerd2015

Wow, lots of great info. I've had luck with my iPhone and the 730 working. Jeep and radio are 2012's. I did get a update cd in the mail one year after I purchased the jeep but haven't done one since. Thanks for the great resource.

Np! Just wanted to make sure to get all of this info, which can be very confusing and overwhelming, all together in one place with some explanations to help figure this out! A lot of research has been done, and didn't want the info to go to waste after I was done, so wanted to make sure this info was here for others as well to make their decisions a lot easier!

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Wow, lots of great info in this threAd. Thanks for sharing. Does anyone know if a 2011 RHB unit would work in my 2007? I don't have mygig installed just the CD/radio oem stereo.

WxNerd2015

Wow, lots of great info in this threAd. Thanks for sharing. Does anyone know if a 2011 RHB unit would work in my 2007? I don't have mygig installed just the CD/radio oem stereo.

To be honest, I am not 100% sure if the newer model radio would work. I would say, look in the 07-10 range, however, I do not believe that there is any reason it wouldn't work! I wouldn't go out of ur way to find a newer model one, but if u have a chance to snag one for a good deal, go and try it, it should work! However, like I said, I do not have any data or research to back that up!

If you do this though, the one thing you will need is a connect for satellite radio and GPS. As, in the 07-10 models, this was two separate cables, and in the 11+, it was a combined single one. There are connectors that you can take your factory wiring and connect it just fine, but you will need that, or a new sat/GPS combined antenna.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
To be honest, I am not 100% sure if the newer model radio would work. I would say, look in the 07-10 range, however, I do not believe that there is any reason it wouldn't work! I wouldn't go out of ur way to find a newer model one, but if u have a chance to snag one for a good deal, go and try it, it should work! However, like I said, I do not have any data or research to back that up!

If you do this though, the one thing you will need is a connect for satellite radio and GPS. As, in the 07-10 models, this was two separate cables, and in the 11+, it was a combined single one. There are connectors that you can take your factory wiring and connect it just fine, but you will need that, or a new sat/GPS combined antenna.

Thanks for info. As per the GPS antenna, is it something like this:

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1470002434.021784.jpg

I see a used one can be had for around $45. I really just want it to add a back up camera but keep things looking stock. A hard drive that I could store music on would be a plus. Nav is cool but I mainly use my iPhone or iPad for that. I was hoping to get something in $300 range.

Last edited:

WxNerd2015

Thanks for info. As per the GPS antenna, is it something like this:

View attachment 215350

I see a used one can be had for around $45. I really just want it to add a back up camera but keep things looking stock. A hard drive that I could store music on would be a plus. Nav is cool but I mainly use my iPhone or iPad for that. I was hoping to get something in $300 range.

Yeah, that looks right I believe!

RolandJKU

Wow, incredible knowledge here.
I have a '16 with I think the 430. I have satellite, mic and wheel controls. I'll go slower through this and start searching for the upgraded radio.

Does navigation cost to have access to? My apologies if the answer is in here already.

WxNerd2015

Wow, incredible knowledge here.
I have a '16 with I think the 430. I have satellite, mic and wheel controls. I'll go slower through this and start searching for the upgraded radio.

Does navigation cost to have access to? My apologies if the answer is in here already.

No, there is no subscription to have access to the GPS, it only costs to update the maps whenever you feel like doing that. I have never updated my maps, and nearly every road is right still, just come across exit ramps or a miles or two stretch of road once in a while that has changed slightly, but still works good.

HardRock87

If I missed this in reading I apologize.

Is the Sirius Satellite Radio tuner module an external device or is it built into my navigation radio? With the new Sirius XM radio change that they recently did. I no longer get the stations that I used to because they have moved them to the XM part of their company. With Chrysler only purchasing the mid grade tuners from Sirius XM. We have the Sirius only radio and not the top of the line Sirius XM radio. I can purchase the Sirius XM module off of SXM's website, but would need to know it's location first.

Thanks

WxNerd2015

If I missed this in reading I apologize.

Is the Sirius Satellite Radio tuner module an external device or is it built into my navigation radio? With the new Sirius XM radio change that they recently did. I no longer get the stations that I used to because they have moved them to the XM part of their company. With Chrysler only purchasing the mid grade tuners from Sirius XM. We have the Sirius only radio and not the top of the line Sirius XM radio. I can purchase the Sirius XM module off of SXM's website, but would need to know it's location first.

Thanks

It is located within the radio itself and the dual GPS/Sat radio antenna, no external module.

WxNerd2015

Uconnect Steering Wheel Controls

Well, I realized that i haven't added to this thread in a while, and I actually had something more to add! So, just wanted to add in the information about upgrading the EVIC switch on the left side of the steering wheel! I was able to upgrade mine from the switch with only 2 buttons ("Step" and "Reset"), to the 6 button switch for the EVIC! Everything worked perfectly plug and play for me! And remind you, I didn't have any connectivity package in the rig at all, and all the wiring was already existent there! It also fixed my issue with the "STEP" button not working! Here are some pics of the switch and the swap!

Part Number is 56046405AB

20160809_091400.jpg
20160809_091415.jpg
20160809_091441.jpg
20160809_091446.jpg
20160822_171629.jpg
20160822_171638.jpg
20160822_202250.jpg
20160822_202300.jpg

Everything, including the lighting, the expected functions, fit, plug, all working with no issue at all! The swap was one of the easiest things and only took about 15-20 minutes! There are some other threads and YouTube videos out there onhow to get into the steering wheel, but extremely simple! Very glad I did it! The two arrow buttons are just dummy switches and do not do anything as I do not currently have the premium EVIC, but the menu and compass buttons take on the role of "STEP" and "RESET", and the Uconnect VR and Phone buttons work exactly how they should with the radio! Highly recommend doing this swap!

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
MyGIG Installed in my 07!

Just wanted to say thanks for sharing all the info you gathered about MyGigs. It helped me out a lot. I ended up opting for the more expensive 730n RHR over the 430n for the same reasons you did, mainly for the built in u-connect b/c my jeep had the basic of the most basic jeep radios installed. I purchased the unit on ebay for just under $600 so I'm pretty happy about it. It came out of a 2014 so I wasn't sure it would work in my 07 but decided to give it a try. Anyhow, the install took all of about 45 minutes today and its up and running. Super excited about the upgrade and that I didn't go with an aftermarket unit. Next addition will be a backup camera so that when I get my AEV tire carrier I will be able to see what's behind the jeep. I'm considering adding a mygig lockpick but don't know if I want to spend that kind of money on an add-on. Guess we'll see. Here's a pic of mine installed. Cheers!

IMG_3483 (1).jpg

Last edited:

WxNerd2015

Just wanted to say thanks for sharing all the info you gathered about MyGigs. It helped me out a lot. I ended up opting for the more expensive 730n RHR over the 430n for the same reasons you did, mainly for the built in u-connect b/c my jeep had the basic of the most basic jeep radios installed. I purchased the unit on ebay for just under $600 so I'm pretty happy about it. It came out of a 2014 so I wasn't sure it would work in my 07 but decided to give it a try. Anyhow, the install took all of about 45 minutes today and its up and running. Super excited about the upgrade and that I didn't go with an aftermarket unit. Next addition will be a backup camera so that when I get my AEV tire carrier I will be able to see what's behind the jeep. I'm considering adding a mygig lockpick but don't know if I want to spend that kind of money on an add-on. Guess we'll see. Here's a pic of mine installed. Cheers!

View attachment 235263

Glad that helped out! No Problem! Looks great! Enjoy!

Seahawkfan

Hooked
Thanks for the write up. Just pulled the trigger on a 730N RHR $460.00 said NEW never installed ebay. Not sure how that can be!! Do you know what options I have for the back up camera. Thanks

Owl

View attachment 235263

Hi nmwrangler. Wondering how things are going with your mod? Still liking your decision and the install? Any problems / frustrations? Most of my readings are telling me that the 730n/RHR wasn't compatible with the 2007-2010 JK's, but yours seems to work OK. Getting closer to pulling the trigger, but additional input would be beneficial.

Thanks for any assistance.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Hi nmwrangler. Wondering how things are going with your mod? Still liking your decision and the install? Any problems / frustrations? Most of my readings are telling me that the 730n/RHR wasn't compatible with the 2007-2010 JK's, but yours seems to work OK. Getting closer to pulling the trigger, but additional input would be beneficial.

Thanks for any assistance.

How much are you spending in this unit? Going aftermarket will give much better sound and gps.m and overall better head unit. Unless you are getting one dirt cheap I personally would go aftermarket.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom