Jeep JK 3.6 head gaskets or new crate motor

TheStick

Hello all. Been a while!

My 2013 Jeep JK is getting a little long in the tooth with just under 150K miles on it. It has had some overheating problems now for a while, and after a quick redline of temp, got the call that I need new head gaskets. The quote to replace the head gaskets, send the heads off for compression checks and milling as needed is $3,700 :oops:

A couple questions. Does that quote sound in the ball park for this work? Should I just drop in a new crate motor at this point and what should I expect that to cost?

Thanks

Spazbyt

Hooked
That price doesn't seem unreasonable. I thought a 3.6 crate swapped in was in the 7k area so a Motech swap may be something worth considering.

Last edited:

TheStick

Thanks for the reply’s. At least it sounds like the quote for the heads is in the ballpark.

I just got the quote on a crate swap. Looking at ~$8k. What is a motech swap going for these days? The worry there is then I’m looking to upgrade drive shafts, axels etc. I think more than I want to go with this.

JT@623

Hooked
Thanks for the reply’s. At least it sounds like the quote for the heads is in the ballpark.

I just got the quote on a crate swap. Looking at ~$8k. What is a motech swap going for these days? The worry there is then I’m looking to upgrade drive shafts, axels etc. I think more than I want to go with this.
About $20Kish they do get some low mile take outs you may be able to pick one up ?

Top Bottom