Jeep Funding

Now just imagine not being able to drive it for 2-3 months at a time. Welcome to my world, lol.

Yeah that would suck. I've had projects that way in the past. Not being able to drive them is probably one reason I never got them finished. Lol. I just lost interest in them.

Now just imagine not being able to drive it for 2-3 months at a time. Welcome to my world, lol.

Or imagine driving it everyday along the foothills (fwy) and not having time to wheel it in the actual hills. Welcome to my world, lol. Not sure which is worse. 😟😉

As a college student I can tell you that for me some of the choices were to either buy the winch and not eat much for a week or 2, or to be able to eat more. Of course I choose the winch...

I try to fund my jeep one part at a time, unless something breaks on me like what recently happened. I just bought the Evo bumper and only had about 200$ left to pay off which wasnt hard but then my front axle bent and needed to be replaced. I was lucky enough to have a family help me pay for it and now I owe them large sums of money for a Prorock 44.

But I have been asked the same question by members of my club. My response usually is it has taken me 6 years to get it where it is now, with lots of help from family and friends. It also helps not having a family to pay for.

Just have to decide what is more important. In my family doing family events and trips and so on is more important than saving money in a 401k for future use when you are too old to do anything. People ask me how my family and I go to Europe all the time (This summer before I have to put my pullups on and be a big boy were planning on going to Norway after running the Rubicon). taking those trips as a family and doing stuff is more important to us then saving money for retirement. It helps that my parents are both retired twice and still working. We put family, and family fun times above all else. That includes Jeeping, my Dad wants one my mother wont let him so he lives through my brother and I, and since I am closest he lives his Jeep dreams through me and wants to go wheeling with me, hence the help in buying the Prorock because he wants it too.

Americans live to work. Europeans work to live. Live life like the Europeans, where family comes first and go on vacations with your family and jeep trips with them, that way the money you spend on the jeep is also spending money for the family to enjoy.

Just my as a younger member of the forum :twocents:

Strongly disagree with a lot of this post. Work should never define you, but to put trips to Europe over saving for your future is just ass backwards and a horrible financial plan.

Just my $.02 of course. ;)

Strongly disagree with a lot of this post. Work should never define you, but to put trips to Europe over saving for your future is just ass backwards and a horrible financial plan.

X2! I wish I saved the money I made during high school and college. Instead I spent it on my vehicles, beer and vacations.

Work your ass off and save/spend smart! I sacrafice a lot in some aspects of my personal life decisions so I can live lavishly in others. Never finance ANYTHING and only buy something you have the cash to pay for it with. Debt and paying interest is your biggest enemy! Pay all debt, and then save....

:cheesy:

Yup trust him 👆I learned my lesson I was financing everything thinking that I will be essay to pay and now 70% of my monthly income gos in paying car and my financing stuff not fun!
Now I cut 3 credit cards like no joke I cut them in pices and trow it away in different parts around sd lol now I'm just paying off all my credit lines

In reading the post you reference, I see no issue. The parents are bankrolling all the trips. I say enjoy Europe so the parents can still work and retire a third time. 😉 Nothing selfish or wrong with that.

As for me personally, couldn't agree with you more. I've sacrificed a lot to have even more. I'd much rather invest in my future and my kids college. These don't depreciate over time and I don't need to flip through a photo album to view the fun. It's all in front of me everyday, and for the rest of my life and future generations after I'm gone.

In reading the post you reference, I see no issue. The parents are bankrolling all the trips. I say enjoy Europe so the parents can still work and retire a third time.  Nothing selfish or wrong with that.

Thanks for your opinion, but you aren't even "mostly" right. ;)

Nothing but fail in this type of attitude...

taking those trips as a family and doing stuff is more important to us then saving money for retirement.

Of course, maybe it depends if the parents are twice retired and still working because they want to, or because they have to. :crazy eyes:

Regardless, he is in college and probably young enough to figure it out before it's too late.

I think it's about balance. I invest in my 401k. My company match is outstanding. I have stock accounts, also.

However, not everyone can buy a new Jeep in cash. I don't believe in credit cards. I have one, and I use it for points. Stuff goes on, and gets paid off that month.

Of course, maybe it depends if the parents are twice retired and still working because they want to, or because they have to. :crazy eyes:

Regardless, he is in college and probably young enough to figure it out before it's too late.

I was being sarcastic in the first part.

College is when you're supposed to learn all this stuff, or sooner if you're lucky. Yup! It's never really too late though. I'm way out of college and still learning about finance and investing, etc.

Because they want to. They would go nuts not working actually they did go nuts not working so my father got a job (Flight isntructor) again then decided he didn't like its hours (because he didn't have summers off to go camping hiking and traveling) and went back to teaching high school. I should also mention that the first retirement for both of them is Air Force LT Col retirement, the second is Teaching in Colorado.

Just because you want to work and save money for when you're old and instead of doing things now while you are young with your kids and what not is all up to but that is how Americans think. Save as much money as you can then have it later in life when you are old.

If it is nothing but fail how are we still doing fine. They did help save for my College and are helping me through it while we still go camping and traveling. We like to travel and do stuff, why wait till you are old. Granted for my age my parents are quite old already. They have also had to deal with their 90+ year old parents and don't want to go through that or put me through it and want to live and do things while they can. My parents current goal is to die and have the debt and life insurance pretty much equal each other. At the current moment once Im gone and working on my own after May, they will sell houses (all but 1 being rented out) and what not and be able to pay off most if not all of their debts by the time they move back to Denver. So its not a complete fail system if you are smart at it.

I am not telling the OP to go spend all the money he can, what I am saying is, Have fun with life. He doesn't have to build his jeep to your or Eddies status, MTG, but use it as a family thing to go out with the family and explore and have fun. Don't put yourself into debt up to your eye balls if you cant get out of it. That is only logical.

I have way to many friends, and know so many people that have never left their state or been anywhere or never did anything growing up or even still today. They never had family trips or vacations or anything because their parents refused to spend the money that they were making on their family and save it for retirement. For example, I had a girlfriend whos father is the VP of a large Engineering company in Indiana. They make a lot and they spend it on lots of things fancy house and cars things like that, but they never go on family trips or anything because he wants to save it for his retirement. (He also did not help much with her college either) To me that is selfish... I am not saying do not save some money for future use for your kids college fun. Just saying do stuff with your family if you want to go on a trip you should try and find a way to make it work.

I just hate the American mentality of working and saving everything you make, and that money is everything. Why work and make money if you aren't going to live life and go places and see things and do stuff.

I was using my family as an example of choosing what is important for the OP. Its all about choices which has been brought up in this thread already. He talked about choosing between building the jeep and family and how hard it was to build it with the family and so on. He was wondering how everyone such as yourself and Eddie build up their jeeps with families and so on. Its about choosing what is important and making it workout. I used my family as an example. We have decided saving money till when you are old and can retire and be bored out of your damn mind, we want to do stuff while we are young. My parents wanted my brother and I to experience other places and cultures and do stuff and live life and have fun as a family rather than saving the money till they are old and die.

This system works for us. Your system seems to be working for you. But I can guarantee that I have lived more and been more places and experienced more than you have in my young life than you have in yours. I am very grateful for this, and love my parents for getting me out and seeing places and experiencing things, granted Boy Scouts and how involved my family is in it helped with this as well. I will want to do the same for my kids, get that spark of travel and adventure in their hearts. Take them camping and doing stuff instead of just working everyday of your life till you die. No I have not had kids so I don't know the joy in this, but I will some day, there is always room for more things in life.

So in my :twocents: Live, and have fun in life, make the money work for what you want to do in it. So for the OP if he wants a huge built jeep but also wants to keep the family out of debt hell have to find a way to do it. If there is a will there is a way. But of course make sure you can stay Financially sound.

Last edited:
Because they want to. They would go nuts not working actually they did go nuts not working so my father got a job (Flight isntructor) again then decided he didn't like its hours (because he didn't have summers off to go camping hiking and traveling) and went back to teaching high school. I should also mention that the first retirement for both of them is Air Force LT Col retirement, the second is Teaching in Colorado.

Just because you want to work and save money for when you're old and instead of doing things now while you are young with your kids and what not is all up to but that is how Americans think. Save as much money as you can then have it later in life when you are old.

If it is nothing but fail how are we still doing fine. They did help save for my College and are helping me through it while we still go camping and traveling. We like to travel and do stuff, why wait till you are old. Granted for my age my parents are quite old already. They have also had to deal with their 90+ year old parents and don't want to go through that or put me through it and want to live and do things while they can. My parents current goal is to die and have the debt and life insurance pretty much equal each other. At the current moment once Im gone and working on my own after May, they will sell houses (all but 1 being rented out) and what not and be able to pay off most if not all of their debts by the time they move back to Denver. So its not a complete fail system if you are smart at it.

I am not telling the OP to go spend all the money he can, what I am saying is, Have fun with life. He doesn't have to build his jeep to your or Eddies status, MTG, but use it as a family thing to go out with the family and explore and have fun. Don't put yourself into debt up to your eye balls if you cant get out of it. That is only logical.

I have way to many friends, and know so many people that have never left their state or been anywhere or never did anything growing up or even still today. They never had family trips or vacations or anything because their parents refused to spend the money that they were making on their family and save it for retirement. For example, I had a girlfriend whos father is the VP of a large Engineering company in Indiana. They make a lot and they spend it on lots of things fancy house and cars things like that, but they never go on family trips or anything because he wants to save it for his retirement. (He also did not help much with her college either) To me that is selfish... I am not saying do not save some money for future use for your kids college fun. Just saying do stuff with your family if you want to go on a trip you should try and find a way to make it work.

I just hate the American mentality of working and saving everything you make, and that money is everything. Why work and make money if you aren't going to live life and go places and see things and do stuff.

I was using my family as an example of choosing what is important for the OP. Its all about choices which has been brought up in this thread already. He talked about choosing between building the jeep and family and how hard it was to build it with the family and so on. He was wondering how everyone such as yourself and Eddie build up their jeeps with families and so on. Its about choosing what is important and making it workout. I used my family as an example. We have decided saving money till when you are old and can retire and be bored out of your damn mind, we want to do stuff while we are young. My parents wanted my brother and I to experience other places and cultures and do stuff and live life and have fun as a family rather than saving the money till they are old and die.

This system works for us. Your system seems to be working for you. But I can guarantee that I have lived more and been more places and experienced more than you have in my young life than you have in yours. I am very grateful for this, and love my parents for getting me out and seeing places and experiencing things, granted Boy Scouts and how involved my family is in it helped with this as well. I will want to do the same for my kids, get that spark of travel and adventure in their hearts. Take them camping and doing stuff instead of just working everyday of your life till you die. No I have not had kids so I don't know the joy in this, but I will some day, there is always room for more things in life.

So in my :twocents: Live, and have fun in life, make the money work for what you want to do in it. So for the OP if he wants a huge built jeep but also wants to keep the family out of debt hell have to find a way to do it. If there is a will there is a way.

I've de-railed this thread so much, you'd think it was one of my own. :cheesy:

So I'm not going to reply to each point, but the bottom line is that saving for your future and having fun are not mutually exclusive. The trouble I have is people choose instant gratification and the accumulation of material possessions at the expense of saving for the future. Then when problems arise they blame all their problems on stuff like the economy, this bubble or that bubble, the stock market, the current administration's fiscal policies, that medical expense, or just that they have bad luck. No the problem is you bought a $60 thousand dollar car, got a Starbucks everyday, ate out at fancy restaurants all weekend and spent 20K on an annual vacations every year and didn't plan for the future. :crazyeyes:

I am happy life is going well for you, but the sooner you learn the value of compound interest the better…trust me (if for no other reason than you read it on the internet).

Oh and I don't think American's have a "save everything they make" problem: http://money.cnn.com/2014/02/13/retirement/401k-balances/

Let this sink in a bit...
Adults under age 35—the so-called millennial generation—currently have a savings rate of negative 2%
http://online.wsj.com/articles/savings-turn-negative-for-younger-generation-1415572405

I've de-railed this thread so much, you'd think it was one of my own. :cheesy:

So I'm not going to reply to each point, but the bottom line is that saving for your future and having fun are not mutually exclusive. The trouble I have is people choose instant gratification and the accumulation of material possessions at the expense of saving for the future. Then when problems arise they blame all their problems on stuff like the economy, this bubble or that bubble, the stock market, the current administration's fiscal policies, that medical expense, or just that they have bad luck. No the problem is you bought a $60 thousand dollar car, got a Starbucks everyday, ate out at fancy restaurants all weekend and spent 20K on an annual vacations every year and didn't plan for the future. :crazyeyes:

I am happy life is going well for you, but the sooner you learn the value of compound interest the better…trust me (if for no other reason than you read it on the internet).

Oh and I don't think American's have a "save everything they make" problem: http://money.cnn.com/2014/02/13/retirement/401k-balances/

Let this sink in a bit...

http://online.wsj.com/articles/savings-turn-negative-for-younger-generation-1415572405

You didnt derail it to much. To me it is still on topic. Funding a Jeep is a money and life thing this is all still on that topic in my eyes.

Yes you need to make sure you are financially sound for your future. That is a given but also not doing anything just because you dont want to spend the money is also a stupid way to live.

I hate coffee so no Starbucks for me. Oh and our vacations cost only 3k for 20 plus days in Europe ;). We camp while we are there instead of staying in hotels and stupid fancy shit like that that costs a lot of money.

I am not saying spend all your money and not make sure its going to work out in the long run. What I am saying is don't be so damn stingy with it LIVE LIFE. Yeah Americans are in debt so is the rest of the world. I can bet you that every generation has said the same dang thing about the generation below them so don't think us "Millennials" are special in that regard.

I also see more of the older generations blaming the politics or economy then I do mine. Most of my generation hates politics because they're grumpy old men that cant do anything right on either side and are so behind the times. That is a different argument entirely.

So lets agree that you should not just go out and spend all your money and be stupid about it. Putting yourself in debt is just dumb, then again those of us with minimum scholarships (white middle class male yeah I aint gettin shit) its hard not to be in debt after school. Hell my bro had a Type 7 ROTC scholarship and still has a shit ton of debt :icon_crazy:

Meanwhile, on funding a jeep build... I made a list in order of most important needs and cross one off each time I can. This is my second build so that helps. I know where I want the investment and what products look cool but can wait. My build has been slower than I'd like but I'll refocus again soon.

I think it goes without saying that one of the biggest ways to save on your build is in the install. A group of friends with tools or even you and project jk site install instructions can go a long way towards saving you cash.

I just work really hard... An don't miss a day , don't take vacations lol.
I bought my 08 rubicon in June, an I bought a evo 4in enforcer lift kit with draglink flip kit, king 2.0 shocks, evo gussets an sleeves, plus odds an ends. Now about ready to pull the trigger on slabs an 37s... Ugh, I'm poor.
What kinda bothers me, see lots of people pull motivation here with JKX.
So what's going to happen when the new model jeep comes out?
Will JKX disappear an becoming the "new jeep X" ?
So here everyone is an they finnaly got all the parts they want an their jk is old news like some XJ lol.
THAT'S the problem I have, I like the new products an body styles, just like keeping up with the cool new stuff.
Don't get me wrong, I love vintage vehicles as well.
Just what will everyone do here when the new jeep comes out?

I just work really hard... An don't miss a day , don't take vacations lol. I bought my 08 rubicon in June, an I bought a evo 4in enforcer lift kit with draglink flip kit, king 2.0 shocks, evo gussets an sleeves, plus odds an ends. Now about ready to pull the trigger on slabs an 37s... Ugh, I'm poor. What kinda bothers me, see lots of people pull motivation here with JKX. So what's going to happen when the new model jeep comes out? Will JKX disappear an becoming the "new jeep X" ? So here everyone is an they finnaly got all the parts they want an their jk is old news like some XJ lol. THAT'S the problem I have, I like the new products an body styles, just like keeping up with the cool new stuff. Don't get me wrong, I love vintage vehicles as well. Just what will everyone do here when the new jeep comes out?

They will Jeep... old and new models. This Fourm is not just for the JK's. There will be new Jeeps, new parts, new business opportunities, new builds and new Jones families. Lol

With the same love for the outdoors & trails regardless of year, make & model.

There is no derailing this thread. It has been an excellent topic of discussion. I really appreciate the lack of fighting, or arguing. I think this will help people out in one way or another.

Thanks for keeping it professional and unbiased, guys/gals.

There is always two sides to everything and honestly both sides have tidbits of value that need to be combined into one.....I only want to say something on this topic because it hits home a bit.....I grew up very fortunate but I will say that I did not travel much and my dad worked his ass off....He was able to save for my college and I am grateful for that because having to pay for college is getting out of hand but he saved....Granted we didnt do a lot of vacations because my sister and I were very active in sports and growing up in SoCal sports were year round so there was never a break however it was not until I left for college before I saw my dad do things for himself....Bought a couple Harleys and a 1955 Speedster, started going to Cabo on fishing trips yearly....He still worked but the point to this is he unexpectedly died at the age of 61 before he really got to enjoy those things because he waited til my sister and I were gone and out of the house....there needs to be a balance and none of us know each others financials or situations where someone may forgo a big house and live in a small apartment in order to buy things or travel....Everyone is different and I know that.....But I do make sure I put away for my kids college and our future but there is a line as well....Great I do all those things now but yet I dont make it that long to enjoy them down the road and I did not get to experience life when younger.....Not trying to be a downer on this subject but all of us want the same thing and that is to enjoy life but we cannot be so focused on the future that we forget to live now....

my two cents and take it how you want....Not trying to be a downer but just hit home a little bit.

There is always two sides to everything and honestly both sides have tidbits of value that need to be combined into one.....I only want to say something on this topic because it hits home a bit.....I grew up very fortunate but I will say that I did not travel much and my dad worked his ass off....He was able to save for my college and I am grateful for that because having to pay for college is getting out of hand but he saved....Granted we didnt do a lot of vacations because my sister and I were very active in sports and growing up in SoCal sports were year round so there was never a break however it was not until I left for college before I saw my dad do things for himself....Bought a couple Harleys and a 1955 Speedster, started going to Cabo on fishing trips yearly....He still worked but the point to this is he unexpectedly died at the age of 61 before he really got to enjoy those things because he waited til my sister and I were gone and out of the house....there needs to be a balance and none of us know each others financials or situations where someone may forgo a big house and live in a small apartment in order to buy things or travel....Everyone is different and I know that.....But I do make sure I put away for my kids college and our future but there is a line as well....Great I do all those things now but yet I dont make it that long to enjoy them down the road and I did not get to experience life when younger.....Not trying to be a downer on this subject but all of us want the same thing and that is to enjoy life but we cannot be so focused on the future that we forget to live now....

my two cents and take it how you want....Not trying to be a downer but just hit home a little bit.

Well said.

Top Bottom