Is this a thing?

The BAD Influence

I heard a strange clanking noise driving home from our last trip to Moab. Upon inspection I found 2 studs are gone and the remaining 3 lug nuts were almost off.
I made it into Discount Tire to get new lug nuts and had them pull up the history on the Jeep, as they were the last ones to touch the tires, for rotation. It's been over 3000 miles, so they claim had they not tightened the nuts properly, there's no way it would have lasted 3000 miles.
This is what they told me: They're getting reports of environmental groups targeting off road vehicles, by loosening their lug nuts.
Is this a thing, has anyone heard of or experienced this?

Attachments

• 20221220_121014.jpg
    20221220_121014.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 18

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

JimLee

Hooked
I heard a strange clanking noise driving home from our last trip to Moab. Upon inspection I found 2 studs are gone and the remaining 3 lug nuts were almost off.
I made it into Discount Tire to get new lug nuts and had them pull up the history on the Jeep, as they were the last ones to touch the tires, for rotation. It's been over 3000 miles, so they claim had they not tightened the nuts properly, there's no way it would have lasted 3000 miles.
This is what they told me: They're getting reports of environmental groups targeting off road vehicles, by loosening their lug nuts.
I've heard of the environmental nut jobs, flattening tires, slashing tires, keying vehicles, pouring things into gas tanks, and loosening lugnuts. It's a thing. What's crazy is they've elevated it to a level where they could kill someone's whole family by loosening lug nuts.
https://www.wayalife.com/threads/tyre-extinguishers.63833/ basically the same thing Eddie posted, but never trust the mentally ill to not try and out do each other.

JimLee

Hooked
Far stretch for me to believe. The environmental assholes I’ve seen don’t even know if they are male or female, doubt they could use a lug wrench.
Not me, these people are fucking insane and there are plenty of videos online on how to change a tire. But, his lug nuts are keyed, and what's the chances of someone having that exact splined key on them.

CalSgt

Hooked
Wasn't someone on here a few weeks ago saying some lady flagged him to pull over and told him some kids were messing with his jeep. He had ruined his rim and studs by the time he pulled over...

Wasn't someone on here a few weeks ago saying some lady flagged him to pull over and told him some kids were messing with his jeep. He had ruined his rim and studs by the time he pulled over...
Yes, there was. The holes in the wheels became wallowed out.

My thoughts exactly. However, Discount Tire says they're nothing special and can be purchased at any auto parts store.

This is somewhat true. Jeep makes a bunch of different ones and assigns specific ones to your VIN. Of course EVERY jeep does not have its own, but there are a lot of different ones out there.

Lost mine a long time ago. Went to three auto parts stores and bought five packs and returned all of them because they didn’t work. Then spent an hour at the dealership with the tech. He had like 30 of them in a tool box and none of them fit. He told me I would have to pay 70 bucks and request my VIN specific ones via mail.

Not that 4 loose lug nuts and one locking one is gonna be a good combo going down the highway tho.

EDIT: unless you’re talking about having ALL aftermarket keyed nuts. That might be the way to go…

Last edited:

Sorry this happened man. If it really was a vandal, that’s so fucked up. I have never considered looking out for this until now.

We used to skateboard and jump into rich peoples pools at night when we were kids. Whatever happened to that?

Bear_JT

Hooked
What’s really weird with this is the lug itself is either knocked way back or is missing! That takes a little extra work, than simply just stealing a lug nut.

Top Bottom