Insurance companies for modified jeeps

Eagle1911

Well, I have a fun problem coming up. My insurance company is refusing to renew my auto insurance for my Gladiator. Yes, there are some mods like lights, racks, winch, and other minor items. No lift or tires yet. Does anyone have any recommendations. I live in Missouri if that matters.
In answer to the unasked question, the company is GEICO.

kevman65

Hooked
There are insurance companies refusing to insure specific models from different manufacturers all over the place.

Has to do with theft, safety issues, and general costs to repair said models. All you can do is shop around. I read elsewhere today that State Farm is refusing to renew on a Gladiator in Florida.

They are a profit driven business, if something loses them money, they'll walk in a heartbeat.

duktrx

Country Companies has been good for me.
Allstate, State Farm, and Progressive have been nightmares for me.

Eagle1911

How does your insurance company know that you have a modified Jeep?
Well, bring the responsible person I notified them in teh event of theft or damage. Little did I know it would turn into this. Just trying to protect my investment. This seems to be an issue right now with GEICO. Doing a search it seems GEICO is hitting a lot of folks that have done any modifications and reported the mods to the insurance company. I plan to visit an agent at his office Monday and see what he says. More to come.

WJCO

Meme King
Insurance is about protecting what you have. Sounds like the queer little lizard friend needs a reality check. Find a different company. It's your money and plenty of companies will want it.

I've been with MetLife for about 10 years. Farmers bought them out recently. Just a couple of weeks ago, they tried to gang rape me with no lube. I called them. They wouldn't budge. They blamed inflation. I'm now with a different company for my homes and vehicles and at a much lower cost. They were willing to fuck a long-term customer just to make a buck. Take the time and shop around. As far as mods, no insurance should be upset about it. Just add it on.

TonyT

Caught the Bug
A friend of mine got dropped from Geico when he mentioned he had a winch on his Jeep TJ back in the early 2000's. They told him it was a regional policy of the company and he was in the region that doesn't allow for them (Arizona.)

Like others have pointed out, it's just business. I've walked up on plenty of bad decisions made when the recovery gear and winch controller comes out. So I get it.

I've been with USAA since 2001 and they've been good to me. My policy states anything bolted, or welded, to the vehicle is covered so long as I have proof of purchase. They are very clear that my policy is void if I'm involved in any kind of exhibition or contest (ie CTI Ramps.) I wouldn't be surprised if that didn't include my XD60/D80 axles, but I anticipate I'm going to have to take that hit if it ever comes. I looked into a "Stated Value Policy" a few years ago (similar to classic car policy,) and it was exponentially more expensive ($4k/yr.) Since my Jeep is only driven 1500miles or so a year, I just keep the coverage as is.

Well, I have a fun problem coming up. My insurance company is refusing to renew my auto insurance for my Gladiator. Yes, there are some mods like lights, racks, winch, and other minor items. No lift or tires yet. Does anyone have any recommendations. I live in Missouri if that matters.
In answer to the unasked question, the company is GEICO.
We are with AMICA, and have been for a many years. House and cars all with same company. We have had to file claims three times already (two for weather damage to the house, and one for a minor car accident). In all cases they were easy to deal with and did not jack our rates due to claims. They are definitely not the cheapest. They are customer owned and a few times we have received a large check back due to a good year.

But I would never inform them of modifications and would not expect them to cover damage to modified parts which would also violate the manufacturers warranty (e.g. 35" vs 40" tire).

Ddays

Hooked
So strange how varied the experiences are with the same companies. I've had State Farm my whole adult life with zero issues. They've been a pleasure to deal with. Years ago I had a full frame replacement after an accident along with all aftermarket parts. I didn't even need receipts - just links to websites to prove replacements costs.

DaJudge

I have been with State Farm since high school. All my local agent wanted for my XJ was to take a picture of it. She told me that they would do the same when I modified the Gladiator. Insurance companies are completely unpredictable though. Depending on the laws in your state they will have completely different policies than the state next door.

Top Bottom