Info on a jku

grimlin

Hey everyone I’m looking at a 2011 Jeep Wrangler unlimited sport that has the 3.8l v6 what’s the pros and cons?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What WJCO said, the biggest con is that it has the look and feel of a 2012-18 but still has the 3.8L engine along with it's transmission. If I recall, the computer stuff is something in between both too.

Upvote 0

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It’s got roughly a 3.5 4 inch lift sitting on 37
Hmm, well, what kind of lift does it have? More importantly, what components does it have to help correct for suspension and steering geometry if any. Does it have aftermarket drive shafts or at the very least, up front? I would definitely take it for a test drive then and to see how it feels. At that height, not having the right components and having them dialed in can make for a crappy ride.

Upvote 0

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
And I’m not sure what lift it has
For the most part, it doesn't matter. Like I said, what's more important is what components it has. A good lift kit will come with adjustable control arms, track bars, drag link flip and relocation brackets. Also, at that height, it really should have a u-joint style double cardan drive shaft up front if nothing else. If it doesn't, it's not the end of the world but you may find the ride to be sub-standard.

I typically try to avoid buying modified Jeeps as they often times come with all kinds of mistakes that I have to fix.

Upvote 0

GP NOIR

Hooked
From what I’ve seen, the biggest problems with the 3.8 is the automatic robs it of power and you must keep a close eye on the oil level. My brother has a 2008 two door Rubicon with automatic and 35 inch ATs. He sometimes grumbles about having a mini van engine while cruising the highway but on the trail, his Jeep performs fine.

Around my neck of the woods, asking prices for 2011 and older JKs is lower than 2012 and newer.

Upvote 0

Fishfam_jku

Caught the Bug
For the most part, it doesn't matter. Like I said, what's more important is what components it has. A good lift kit will come with adjustable control arms, track bars, drag link flip and relocation brackets. Also, at that height, it really should have a u-joint style double cardan drive shaft up front if nothing else. If it doesn't, it's not the end of the world but you may find the ride to be sub-standard.

I typically try to avoid buying modified Jeeps as they often times come with all kinds of mistakes that I have to fix.
This.
That’s a good amount of miles on a modded Jeep. Done with good parts by a reputable shop the drivetrain should be in good order, just be ready for maintenance. Joints, bearings, seals, etc.
The 3.8 is a dog but I have no complaints. Just above 90k and keeping up on maintenance has kept it healthy. Cruise at freeway speeds but don’t really expect 70+. On trail performance is no issue. Without the Rubi T-case be sure you got the right gears, that will help.
My 08’ JKUR is the newest vehicle I own and fits my skill and need. New enough to have a few comforts but still an easy to work on. Great platform to work with for the right price if you have a plan to build onto its current setup.

Upvote 0

grimlin

well i didnt get he jku yet, working on getting one jeep going to sell or trade in for a jku, but i will keep everyone posted and still ask questions. so with tht being said whats your guys thoughts on a 2010 jeep wrangler jku with the 3.6? but its bone stock and nothing has been molested on it

Upvote 0

jeeeep

Hooked
well i didnt get he jku yet, working on getting one jeep going to sell or trade in for a jku, but i will keep everyone posted and still ask questions. so with tht being said whats your guys thoughts on a 2010 jeep wrangler jku with the 3.6? but its bone stock and nothing has been molested on it
3.6L?

I have a 2010 JKU purchased it new, pretty sure they did not offer any 2010 JK with a 3.6L.
Personally, I don't mind the 3.8L, IMO it's the transmission that sucks, they call it a 4-speed but the gearing is too tall to be useful and it's' really a 3-speed on the road; offroad slow going I like it.

Upvote 0

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
My thoughts, it’s a spam or the person is an idiot.

Upvote 0

GP NOIR

Hooked

Wranglers didn't get the 3.6 until 2012

Upvote 0

grimlin

okay ill have to do some looking the jeep, all the guys said its got a new motor and claims its the 3.6 so i dont know for sure yet once i look at it ill give a update on it. so i have heard different people say the 3.6 and the 3.8 penstare motors arent that good can some claify that and give me some info on that please

Upvote 0
Top Bottom