In The Shop - Disciple Off Road

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don’t mind a custom cage but these with the full xbar has a lot going on.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I think custom cages "look" great and while I know they "can" be functional, literally EVERYONE I've ever known with one NEVER use their Jeep as hard as they could to "need" one. And to be clear, rock crawling doesn't qualify for a need in my book. They take up all kinds of space, make it impossible to lean back the front seats and if they're tied into the frame - like they should really be, they squeak and are noisy as hell. To be honest, I even hate the sport cage in Moby and have already removed the harness bar on it to make him more useable. But of course, I just mall crawl him.

Fury22

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think custom cages "look" great and while I know they "can" be functional, literally EVERYONE I've ever known with one NEVER use their Jeep as hard as they could to "need" one. And to be clear, rock crawling doesn't qualify for a need in my book. They take up all kinds of space, make it impossible to lean back the front seats and if they're tied into the frame - like they should really be, they squeak and are noisy as hell. To be honest, I even hate the sport cage in Moby and have already removed the harness bar on it to make him more useable. But of course, I just mall crawl him.
So what constitutes “needing” one in your eyes?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So what constitutes “needing” one in your eyes?
I’m not speaking for Eddie. My idea of a great reason to have a full weld in cage would be for stuff like this:

What AZVAJKU said ^^^^

I've personally seen plenty of flops even full rolls on the rocks and NONE of them needed anything more than the factory roll bar to protect the occupants.

Speed is what kills and if you're really driving stupid fast enough to wad up your rig, that's when a full weld in cage is something you should consider. That said, I have personally seen a bolt on sport cage protect the occupant of a Jeep that rolled 4 times doing 70 mph on the highway.

Fury22

What AZVAJKU said ^^^^

I've personally seen plenty of flops even full rolls on the rocks and NONE of them needed anything more than the factory roll bar to protect the occupants.

Speed is what kills and if you're really driving stupid fast enough to wad up your rig, that's when a full weld in cage is something you should consider. That said, I have personally seen a bolt on sport cage protect the occupant of a Jeep that rolled 4 times doing 70 mph on the highway.
I agree with this, especially the high speed stuff because that is obvious. The safety of the occupants is the most important thing in any off-roading incident. However after that there are other things to consider, such as the condition of the jeep…is the stock cage completely toast afterwards? Would you trust it again? Does it have to get replaced now anyways? I liken this argument to someone wanting a set of 60/80 axles to overland on 37s…do they NEED them? Of course not, but they probably want as close to a bulletproof setup as you can get to minimize risk of breaking. And along with that there are the common anecdotes of “ I’ve wheeled 40s on my D44s for 10 years and never had an issue.” And just like you’ve seen people survive stock cage rolls I’ve seen rolls by guys with genright cages that flip it back over and it only needed some touch up paint and kept on like nothing happened.

I only push back on this because I’ve seen you make this argument before, and know what kind of weight you have with the new entrants to the jeep world. And to me it can be interpreted as “ unless you race king of the hammers , your stock cage will be more than sufficient for everything else.” Hell, even the litebrite yahoo’s JL stock cage, which has never been rolled, is cracking and pretty much compromised…

Now yes, most people will never roll or flop or go head over ass backwards onto their lid…but those that do I would wager a good amount of them never thought they would until it happens. IMHO, those cage reinforcements like the EVO or rockhard ones should be considered for everyone who wheels their rig on a regular basis, and if they can swing a motobilt/genright cage, then even better. Can’t put a price on safety…

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
However after that there are other things to consider, such as the condition of the jeep…is the stock cage completely toast afterwards? Would you trust it again? Does it have to get replaced now anyways?
LOL - Depends on the flop or roll. But, even if it is toast afterwards, it still did it's job of protecting the occupants and then would be a great time to replace it and maybe with something better.
I liken this argument to someone wanting a set of 60/80 axles to overland on 37s…do they NEED them? Of course not, but they probably want as close to a bulletproof setup as you can get to minimize risk of breaking.
Sorry, I personally think that running 60/80 for just 37's is kind of lame for any reason and especially for going camping - er, I mean, "overlanding". EVERYTHING breaks and from experience, I can tell you that they're more of a liability than being "bulletproof". Breaking something on a custom axle will leave you high and dry whereas running factory axles can give you a lot of options. Certainly, it's a lot easier to find spare parts or even bum them off of another Jeep after they get back to the trailhead. This is not an opinion, this is based on what I have personally experienced and even had to do on countless occasions.
And along with that there are the common anecdotes of “ I’ve wheeled 40s on my D44s for 10 years and never had an issue.”
Oh please, people will tell you that they've run 40's on D30's forever and never had an issue LOL! To that, all I can say that we all have our own idea of what "wheeling" or even "hardcore" really is.
And just like you’ve seen people survive stock cage rolls I’ve seen rolls by guys with genright cages that flip it back over and it only needed some touch up paint and kept on like nothing happened.
:ROFLMAO: LOL at "rolls" as in, more than a flop and multiple time around and just needing some touch up paint to make it look like nothing happened and all because of a Genright cage that was installed. That is just awesome (y)
I only push back on this because I’ve seen you make this argument before, and know what kind of weight you have with the new entrants to the jeep world. And to me it can be interpreted as “ unless you race king of the hammers , your stock cage will be more than sufficient for everything else.” Hell, even the litebrite yahoo’s JL stock cage, which has never been rolled, is cracking and pretty much compromised…
:ROFLMAO: You'll forgive me but I missed the part where I've made an "argument" for anything. Last I checked, I simply shared my "OPINION" (that I personally hate them) about cages and based on what I have personally seen and experienced and I would be the first to admit, it isn't very much. Certainly, you and/or everyone else out there can take it or leave it and if any "new entrants to the Jeep world" wants to take what I say with any weight, I would hope it'd be with the understanding that I'm simply trying to SAVE them some money and headaches over things I personally think they don't need. That said, I would never pretend to be anything more than a mall crawler and I clearly, you should do what you think is best for yourself and your Jeep (y)
Now yes, most people will never roll or flop or go head over ass backwards onto their lid…but those that do I would wager a good amount of them never thought they would until it happens.
And of course, a Genright cage will make it so that touch up paint is all they'll need to make a flop or going over head over ass backwards onto their lid like nothing happened at all (y)
IMHO, those cage reinforcements like the EVO or rockhard ones should be considered for everyone who wheels their rig on a regular basis, and if they can swing a motobilt/genright cage, then even better. Can’t put a price on safety…
:ROFLMAO: and here I thought we were talking about touch up paint and how it would be the only thing you needed to make a Jeep look like nothing ever happened after rolling a Jeep. But, thank you for your humble opinion. Maybe new entrants into the Jeep world will give it more weight than my humble opinion ✌️

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Man, if only I had a Genright cage installed - I would have only needed some touch up paint to make it look like nothing happened. Damn! 🤦‍♂️

main.php

LOL - Depends on the flop or roll. But, even if it is toast afterwards, it still did it's job of protecting the occupants and then would be a great time to replace it and maybe with something better.

Sorry, I personally think that running 60/80 for just 37's is kind of lame for any reason and especially for going camping - er, I mean, "overlanding". EVERYTHING breaks and from experience, I can tell you that they're more of a liability than being "bulletproof". Breaking something on a custom axle will leave you high and dry whereas running factory axles can give you a lot of options. Certainly, it's a lot easier to find spare parts or even bum them off of another Jeep after they get back to the trailhead. This is not an opinion, this is based on what I have personally experienced and even had to do on countless occasions.

Oh please, people will tell you that they've run 40's on D30's forever and never had an issue LOL! To that, all I can say that we all have our own idea of what "wheeling" or even "hardcore" really is.

:ROFLMAO: LOL at "rolls" as in, more than a flop and multiple time around and just needing some touch up paint to make it look like nothing happened and all because of a Genright cage that was installed. That is just awesome (y)

:ROFLMAO: You'll forgive me but I missed the part where I've made an "argument" for anything. Last I checked, I simply shared my "OPINION" (that I personally hate them) about cages and based on what I have personally seen and experienced and I would be the first to admit, it isn't very much. Certainly, you and/or everyone else out there can take it or leave it and if any "new entrants to the Jeep world" wants to take what I say with any weight, I would hope it'd be with the understanding that I'm simply trying to SAVE them some money and headaches over things I personally think they don't need. That said, I would never pretend to be anything more than a mall crawler and I clearly, you should do what you think is best for yourself and your Jeep (y)

And of course, a Genright cage will make it so that touch up paint is all they'll need to make a flop or going over head over ass backwards onto their lid like nothing happened at all (y)

:ROFLMAO: and here I thought we were talking about touch up paint and how it would be the only thing you needed to make a Jeep look like nothing ever happened after rolling a Jeep. But, thank you for your humble opinion. Hopefully new entrants into the Jeep world will give it more weight than my humble opinion ✌️
What is needed is an exo-skeleton in the shape of a ball. So the Jeep becomes like a ball with wheels. After a certain number of tumbles, it always comes up with it's wheels on the ground!

I agree with this, especially the high speed stuff because that is obvious. The safety of the occupants is the most important thing in any off-roading incident. However after that there are other things to consider, such as the condition of the jeep…is the stock cage completely toast afterwards? Would you trust it again? Does it have to get replaced now anyways? I liken this argument to someone wanting a set of 60/80 axles to overland on 37s…do they NEED them? Of course not, but they probably want as close to a bulletproof setup as you can get to minimize risk of breaking. And along with that there are the common anecdotes of “ I’ve wheeled 40s on my D44s for 10 years and never had an issue.” And just like you’ve seen people survive stock cage rolls I’ve seen rolls by guys with genright cages that flip it back over and it only needed some touch up paint and kept on like nothing happened.

Now yes, most people will never roll or flop or go head over ass backwards onto their lid…but those that do I would wager a good amount of them never thought they would until it happens. IMHO, those cage reinforcements like the EVO or rockhard ones should be considered for everyone who wheels their rig on a regular basis, and if they can swing a motobilt/genright cage, then even better. Can’t put a price on safety…
This is the land of the "Free and the brave". Requiring safety at all costs is the opposite of that. Why should we need to be brave if safety is priority #1?

jeeeep

Hooked
What is needed is an exo-skeleton in the shape of a ball. So the Jeep becomes like a ball with wheels. After a certain number of tumbles, it always comes up with it's wheels on the ground!
hmm.. you're onto something here, shape of a ball, mount some gyroscopes placed in strategic locations with rollover magnetic motor sensors that trigger them to begin spinning in the direction to offset the direction of the roll causing the rollover to slow substantially and make sure the Jeep ends up on its tires, assuring the occupants are spared all the jolting of the rollover!
glove box pops open to a well shaken but not stirred can of roll cage color matched paint.
Patent Pending

Top Bottom