If you had a "do-over"

vonguido

Hey all,

I am currently in the process of purchasing a used 2021 JT Rubicon that has an AEV spacer lift w/ 37s currently. I want to know what upgrades - whether for reliability or performance/function - you would want a "do-over" on? Or simply mods you would recommend in your "top 5".
I currently own a 15 JKUR that I will be selling after picking up the JT, and I like to follow the mantra of "buy once, cry once", and reliability is king for me as I will be driving this as my Daily with weekend wheeling or a JJUSA event or two.

Any words of advice on things to look for?
I need to read up on issues with the FAD, any other sources of contention?

I would be looking at a 3.5" lift with 37s-38s, recovery, etc. I do a lot of driving to and from Hockey tournaments for my kids for youth hockey in the midwest.

Ddays

Hooked
You don't need a full 3.5" to run 37's on a Rubicon. If this is going to be a weekend warrior type vehicle, keep is as low as possible to fit 37's on it. That means you really only need a 2.5" lift. Throw a winch on it, get some good recovery gear & call it a day until you start doing more stuff that might require additions. You don't need grade 8 bolt kits, hydro steering, one ton axles, etc, etc. Keep it simple to start.

And no goddam angry eyes grill.

Ever

vonguido

You don't need a full 3.5" to run 37's on a Rubicon. If this is going to be a weekend warrior type vehicle, keep is as low as possible to fit 37's on it. That means you really only need a 2.5" lift. Throw a winch on it, get some good recovery gear & call it a day until you start doing more stuff that might require additions. You don't need grade 8 bolt kits, hydro steering, one ton axles, etc, etc. Keep it simple to start.

And no goddam angry eyes grill.

Ever

definitely will NOT be putting on the angry eyes grill. Can’t stand that stuff.

Anything that needs updated due to reliability issues from the factory?

Ddays

Hooked
definitely will NOT be putting on the angry eyes grill. Can’t stand that stuff.

Anything that needs updated due to reliability issues from the factory?
Nope. You can always upgrade tie rods, track bars, stuff like that later on if needed, but the factory stuff will work fine until you start doing harder stuff.

And there's nothing wrong with the FAD. They're reliable and save a shitload of wear and tear on the front end. It's a cheaper way for the factory to do locking hubs and help the gas mileage.

Lunentucker

If you find the power steering feeling inadequate you can add the Apex booster kit for about $200.
I'd recommend something to improve positive caster on any lift, but certainly anything 2 inches and up.
Geometry correction brackets not only get caster back into spec, but they also get the suspension back into spec.

The Mopar longer control arms are the cheapest and easiest to install option if you're on a budget.

Other than those, get a good torque wrench and go through everything suspension and steering related.
Ball joints, trackbar, Pitman arm nut, steering gearbox, shock mounts, control arm bolts (wheels on the ground), brake calipers, swaybar links,

Last edited:

LVMohave

If I had to do it over, I'd probably get a Gladiator with the diesel. Banks also makes some nice upgrades for this engine to have more power for more weight and big tires. ALL the other options, typically engine wise the price goes up significantly

If I had it to do over, I’d get an early first gen JK (2007-2010) and go right to a 6.0 L96 and 3link/4link setup, Coilovers and wontons, cage it and call it a day.

TonyT

Caught the Bug
I've had my '09 JK since new and changed several accessories, large and small, as my needs changed, stuff broke, or I just didn't like. I could go on for hours, but the big ones that stick out to me are:

1. Air intakes are a waste of time and money.
2. No one will check your jeep over like you will. Go through it top-to-bottom often - checking for loose bolts, fittings, etc. And do as much of your own maintenance as you're capable of.
3. My favorite mods are the full cage, aftermarket seats (w/ heat,) and a stereo with Bluetooth audio. I wish I would have upgraded those sooner since they're things I use every time I'm in the jeep.

Top Bottom