Ideal engine swaps for 3.6l 2017 JKU?

Primo82

Caught the Bug
I don't need an engine rebuild project right now. And it will be probably 10 years before I want to swap the stock power plant. But it being winter in Indiana in a college town where no one knows how to drive on slick shit, I've seen several totaled SUVs/Trucks for sale for cheap.

So what are the ideal engines to swap-out on the JKU platform? I'm thinking key factors being power gain, fitment, and integration to the JKU's existing brain.

I'm not against paying an integrator like Motech to install the engine and get it running. Or buying their kit and doing it myself when the time comes. I just want an idea of what platform to keep an eye out. Cheers.

Bierpower

Hooked
Not sure about the Mopar swaps but that would most likely be your best bet for integration. If you decide to go LS, 2010 and newer are the easiest to work with but if you need to pass emissions you would need to stick to the gen 5 LS which I believe was either 2015 or 16. Not for sure on the year but it would be the L86 for a 6.2 and I think it's L83 for the 5.3. While you won't see as big of gains with the 5.3, it is a much cheaper option as you can find the engine and trans for under $3k and around $6k for a Motech or similar install kit. After drive shafts and fluids your under $10k for the swap. The 6.2 is pretty similar but expect to pay closer to $6-8k for a good used engine trans setup. Puts you around $15k for the full swap said and done, if you do it yourself.

The biggest thing with the LS is it's going to be an engine swap vehicle. Your always going to have little quirks and such to deal with. I think there was a thread on this a while back I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=57691

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Not sure about the Mopar swaps but that would most likely be your best bet for integration. If you decide to go LS, 2010 and newer are the easiest to work with but if you need to pass emissions you would need to stick to the gen 5 LS which I believe was either 2015 or 16. Not for sure on the year but it would be the L86 for a 6.2 and I think it's L83 for the 5.3. While you won't see as big of gains with the 5.3, it is a much cheaper option as you can find the engine and trans for under $3k and around $6k for a Motech or similar install kit. After drive shafts and fluids your under $10k for the swap. The 6.2 is pretty similar but expect to pay closer to $6-8k for a good used engine trans setup. Puts you around $15k for the full swap said and done, if you do it yourself.

The biggest thing with the LS is it's going to be an engine swap vehicle. Your always going to have little quirks and such to deal with. I think there was a thread on this a while back I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=57691

I'll check that thread out, just so I know what issues I'm getting myself into. I don't need to pass emissions, I'm pretty sure Indiana still has coal powered steam engines...

My thought is go big or go home (within reason, not going to try to get a V10 viper engine or anything like that). Sounds like the L86 would be ideal for power. I'm really hoping I can find a totaled vehicle, pull the engine and trans myself then scrap the shell for cheaper than that. May be wishful thinking though.

You don’t have to go gen 5 for emissions. I have a ‘09 with a 6.0 LS and 6l80. I went with MoTech. When I did mine there were no diy kits out. The diy kits out now are pretty nice and have everything you need. The 6.0 has been great for me. If its done the right way you will not have issues or problems. I’ve been running mine for almost 5 years with no problems at all. No dash lights and everything works as it did from the factory

Primo82

Caught the Bug
You don’t have to go gen 5 for emissions. I have a ‘09 with a 6.0 LS and 6l80. I went with MoTech. When I did mine there were no diy kits out. The diy kits out now are pretty nice and have everything you need. The 6.0 has been great for me. If its done the right way you will not have issues or problems. I’ve been running mine for almost 5 years with no problems at all. No dash lights and everything works as it did from the factory

Sweet! I don't need to pass emissions where I live. Just curious what's worked well and provided the power everyone was wanting in their pig! I'd like it to perform/act as much like a stock jeep as possible. If it's constantly throwing lights because the jku brain is missing sensors that would get old...

I drove 3 hours with the jeep fully loaded with tools, equipment, and a 140 lb dog for a bathroom remodel and boy was she sluggish.

Bierpower

Hooked
I drove 3 hours with the jeep fully loaded with tools, equipment, and a 140 lb dog for a bathroom remodel and boy was she sluggish.

Living at a higher altitude I feel like the 3.8 is not even really usable. You pretty much need to drive with the hazards on in the slow lane anywhere you go or mash the pedal down and drive around at redline.

Robbie from Motech says in a couple of his videos that the transmission is the real hero of the LS swap. Going from a 4 to a 6 speed auto really ups the drivability. The step up to the 8 and 10 speeds in the gen V swaps is like the difference between the JK and JL. Same engine with more gears means more time in happy range and less bogged out or bouncing off the rev limiter.

If you were planning to do an iron block engine I would go with the hemi. It's going to interface as an oem unit and you can take it to a service shop if needed. The LS has a big benefit with the aluminum block engines being within 100lbs of the weight of the 3.8. That keeps you closer to factory weight bias which has lots of braking and handling benefits. The downside is most shops won't touch it.

It's all subjective, much like ride quality.

Top Bottom