How many spare tires do you carry?? I may start carrying two...

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
That sucks, and bad luck for sure. I thought you hooked the boulder on the inside of that turn. Those little rocks will kill ya.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
As I've since found out..[emoji20]
I think I'm going to order another TR beadlock and tire... 2 spares, no waiting[emoji6]

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JAGS

Hooked
Wow that is some pretty bad luck. In fact, I've only seen this happen to one other person and he was on stock sport tires. I don't know about taking two spares but it's always a good idea to travel trails with a buddy. As you mentioned you were fortunate to see your friend on the trail. Glad everything worked out.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I knew a guy that needed four once. Lol.

That was such a fun trip though. Even my kids had a blast with all the grown ups, and chris. Crazy to think how many rad trips we've had together. [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Last edited:

Albatross

there are possibilities for an extra spare tire
i.e. with an optional/extra "overland tire carrier"
30545358xe.jpg

30545359sf.jpg

30545360hi.jpg

jeeeep

Hooked
I like it. I think for me I'll just put it in behind the back seat and put all the rest of my gear on top of the spare..

before you go on long trips with a spare in the back - let it sit on a hot summer day windows up.

Personally, the smell of tire inside gives me headaches and makes my daughter complain about the smell....hmmm maybe it was the complaining that gave me the headache lol

Last edited:

Kilroy

They are 10 ply and I was 10 miles from pavement. I was incredibly lucky. Someone I had met a couple of weeks before I saw 10 minutes before the Rock hit. He was headed out, he decided to follow and see what was down the road where I had went... My spare, his spare... I'm taking him to dinner next week... he saved me a lot of difficulty

They are 10 ply but still think nitto are thicker side wall. I'm going to cut my duds sst and compare nitto because he's the same weight as me and when we air down to the same he bulges more then I and the weight is the same.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
They are 10 ply but still think nitto are thicker side wall. I'm going to cut my duds sst and compare nitto because he's the same weight as me and when we air down to the same he bulges more then I and the weight is the same.

Guess you didn't click on the thread MTG posted up. Those tires were Nitto's. Don't get me wrong, Trail Grapplers are good tires but a pinch rupture like this can and will happen to ANY tire. At least, it's what I've seen.

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
Guess you didn't click on the thread MTG posted up. Those tires were Nitto's. Don't get me wrong, Trail Grapplers are good tires but a pinch rupture like this can and will happen to ANY tire. At least, it's what I've seen.
If I remember correctly he didn't even know what caused his. Mine was certainly obvious. I knew it instantly..
Since I was running about 8-9 lbs. How much more pressure do you think would have avoided this? Maybe I can find a balance between traction and avoiding this in the future...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If I remember correctly he didn't even know what caused his. Mine was certainly obvious. I knew it instantly..
Since I was running about 8-9 lbs. How much more pressure do you think would have avoided this? Maybe I can find a balance between traction and avoiding this in the future...

Your best bet is to try and avoid snake biters altogether. Looking at the clip, if the whole trail were like that, running at about 15 psi "may" have helped to prevent the pinch rupture. Of course, I know that Miller has a few sections where being aired down more can be helpful so there's that.

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
before you go on long trips with a spare in the back - let it sit on a hot summer day windows up.

Personally, the smell of tire inside gives me headaches and makes my daughter complain about the smell....hmmm maybe it was the complaining that gave me the headache lol
Good point

Kilroy

Nope did not mean it can't happen to any tire I've had it happen to my nittos also but just seen more on other tires, but again shit happened to us all. More of a curiosity speaking then fact. But still want to cut the sst and see the difference [emoji106][emoji4]

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
It's actually very interesting to me. When it happened I thought... WOW, who would have thought two tires at once??? Now I know it happens more than I would have ever thought.

Avoid Snake Bite!!!:eek:

Top Bottom