How many miles is too many for a JK?

Gallamine

It's seems to be pretty common to see high milage TJ's, YJ's, XJ's that still sell for a considerable amount of money. What about the JK's? If you were buying used, how many miles would be "too much for comfort"? I'm happy with my 120k LJ, but every-so-often I'll pull up Craigslist and check out the going prices of newer models - the question is always, 'how much more life do these have?' Any thoughts? What's the highest milage JK you've seen?

Great question! So many variables though.

I would say if properly maintained, you can get well over 100,000 miles out of a JK. My 2009 JK has over 117,000 miles on the clock and still runs great. However, I tend to over maintain it by changing all fluids and filters more often than needed, keeping it clean top to bottom and correcting any issues that arise without delay.

Just my 2 cents! :yup:

Mine is a 2012 and just rolled over 83k. I drive 80 miles a day lol.

If I were to buy one, I would look for one under 50k at least.

I got 08 with 114k it runs great got it with 75k i think .find one from a poser that never takes it off road look underneath for scratches & dents on the factory skids.it KINDA tell u what its been through

I have a KJ with 120k miles and last time I drove it I was like the same as when I first picked it from the dealer new.

I think 100,000+ miles is the norm for any car these days. I don't see why you couldn't put 150,000+ even as long as you maintain it regularly. Once you hit the 100k mark I would even over maintain it like jeepfan said to make sure it lasts longer

I've been wondering something similar. When it does get to 150,000 miles and dies, if you've put all this money and effort into the Jeep, would it make sense to just fix whatever is broken? New engine, new transmission, whatever

I've been wondering something similar. When it does get to 150,000 miles and dies, if you've put all this money and effort into the Jeep, would it make sense to just fix whatever is broken? New engine, new transmission, whatever

Is a good time for an engine swap then lol

IMO I would keep fixing my Jeep. Im way to deep into mine just to get rid of it over a motor or something like that. New motor would be cheaper then another payment. Only reason I wouldnt fix something is if I was tired of it and just ready to go to the next thing.

at 124000 right now, exhaust leaks, replaced the intake manifold gasket, and it leaks some oil, other than that its good

My '12 Durango has the same 3.6 and has 170k on it. It still runs as good as it ever did. Burns no oil between changes. I know this is obvious but if you
maintain the vehicle the gas engines nowadays will last over 200k.
My Jeep is with me forever. When/if this engine blows I'll replace.

However, I tend to over maintain it by changing all fluids and filters more often than needed, keeping it clean top to bottom and correcting any issues that arise without delay.

Just my 2 cents! :yup:

Hahaha! Talk about understatement of the year! Hell your Jeep is spotless before we leave the trail! C.D.O. (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder alphabetically correct).

This might be a dumb question but would you need anything else besides a motor and tranny in order to swap from a 3.8 to a 3.6?

Top Bottom