How do you store your JK doors??

colo dean

Bought the padded brackets as others have at Home Depot. Since I have 6 doors to hang, I mounted a 2x6 to the studs so that one row would hang a few inches from the floor and the other row hangs from ceiling level. Hang both front doors and a single rear door on each row so it didn't take up the entire back wall of the garage.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
http://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-4-53-in-Gray-Steel-Multipurpose-Hook/3721826

I just use those hooks wrapped in foam and throw a towel between the doors and can usually fit front and back door on one hook (couldnt find a link for the double hook i use but you get the point lol) the front doors are a little heavy to lift 8' up on the wall but its out of the way..

View attachment 216783

I lied. Forgot that the ones I use are actually single pieces with two hook points on each.

I like the two hook ones better than the single hook ones. Do they screw into the studs in the wall though? I don't have a stud finder or anything but the previous homeowner had a 2x6 running down the wall about shoulder height on me. It had some lag bolts sticking out of it and I was worried I was gonna seriously screw my arm/shoulder up catching it on one of these bolts. So I took it all down. Based on that, where the previous owner marked for these bolts, it looks like the studs are on 24 inch centers. Ive tapped on the wall and it sounds like it too. Ive thought about putting a 2x6 back up lengthwise to screw into several of the studs and then screw the hook deals into the 2x6s.

I will have to do two up high and two down low. It wont be a problem for me to hang the doors 8 feet up unless I am really really tired.

I might have to see about tackling this project this weekend. Its supposed to be in the 80s to 90s next week and not the 100s and raining we've been having. Mine but good to roll around naked.

Sheaffadelic

Caught the Bug
I like the two hook ones better than the single hook ones. Do they screw into the studs in the wall though? I don't have a stud finder or anything but the previous homeowner had a 2x6 running down the wall about shoulder height on me. It had some lag bolts sticking out of it and I was worried I was gonna seriously screw my arm/shoulder up catching it on one of these bolts. So I took it all down. Based on that, where the previous owner marked for these bolts, it looks like the studs are on 24 inch centers. Ive tapped on the wall and it sounds like it too. Ive thought about putting a 2x6 back up lengthwise to screw into several of the studs and then screw the hook deals into the 2x6s.

I will have to do two up high and two down low. It wont be a problem for me to hang the doors 8 feet up unless I am really really tired.

I might have to see about tackling this project this weekend. Its supposed to be in the 80s to 90s next week and not the 100s and raining we've been having. Mine but good to roll around naked.

I put up a 2x6 into the studs running parallel with the ceiling and then put the hooks onto the 2x6 ...

i have a stud finder, but it's a piece of shit and wasn't working consistently enough for me to start drilling holes in our garage wall. i picked up an extra strength magnet from home depot to locate the nails/studs and used that method to mount my hangers.

scull20

Turn the lights off in the garage and shine a flashlight down the wall...look for the shadows of the screw heads where it was spackled, then mark with a pencil.

Quick and dirty stud finder

Sheaffadelic

Caught the Bug
Turn the lights off in the garage and shine a flashlight down the wall...look for the shadows of the screw heads where it was spackled, then mark with a pencil.

Quick and dirty stud finder

I ususally do smack the wall till it doesnt sound the same method ;)

JohnnyWest

I just lag bolted some 2x4's to a wall. Then used eye bolts to hang the doors from. Left plenty of space between them. I can fit the all eight doors in less than eight feet. Only have the doors from one Jeep hanging now.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1470875735.952074.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1470875753.384777.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1470875801.720509.jpg

JohnnyWest

Must they stick out or can they rotate flat against the wall?

Not the way I currently have them. The eye bolts don't stick out far enough to allow them to swing flat.

I was originally going to weld up some racks that would allow them to hang flat against the wall, but it would take much more space for all 8 doors. This only took about an hour to do and I mounted them high enough that they won't be in the way.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1470878103.728775.jpg

GraniteCrystal

Not the way I currently have them. The eye bolts don't stick out far enough to allow them to swing flat.

I was originally going to weld up some racks that would allow them to hang flat against the wall, but it would take much more space for all 8 doors. This only took about an hour to do and I mounted them high enough that they won't be in the way.
View attachment 216876

Gotcha. Well done sir.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Does anyone else leave their door bolts off while driving?

I reinstalled them the first 4 times then said forget it. Most here agree that they're just a pain in the ass.

This was a topic awhile back and it was Overlander that set me straight. I was worried about rattling or worse, but it's a non issue. Same for the freedom panel screws; I ditched them too.

Diesel_Ranger

I have really enjoyed using the wall mount hinge hanger. Never have to worry about them falling over, chipping paint, or changing shape. I also have window vent visors, so there is no good way to hang them with a "through the window" hook.

Door_hanger.jpg

Door_hanger_Doors.jpg

Top Bottom