Hemi Conversion questions

Seahawkfan

Hooked
I don't know if you've seen videos on this swap being done - but its not a painless conversion and imo looks like more of a pain than its worth (especially given the fact that hemi's and 8 speed zf's are not cheap). If you can find a wrecked charger/challenger with a hemi would probably be more feasible but then you have a used motor that you have no idea what its condition is in. From what I seen the cutting of mounts, rewelding, the custom adapter for the transfer case , new crossmember etc ... i'd pass on all that and buy a new/used 392 instead (which already has the correct high mount alternator and properly angled intake). I wouldn't attempt this conversion unless I had my own shop. The $30k difference can EASILY be eaten up by odd ends and bits and Labor especially.
Some of these shops that do this work have it down to damn near factory installs. Not sure where you're all getting this extra $ 30,000 from? AMW4X4 list's the basic 392 w/ 8 speed for $35,000. I don't see where it says plus labor.? (Pulled up a crate 392 for $9600.)
They do state install time, doesn't say extra. For example, JK install time 48 hrs (lets say $125 hr X 48= $6000+$9600=$16,600. $35,000-16,600=$19,000 for a tranny and whatever else that is needed.
I believe it has more to do with what you're starting with. If you have Jeep (even a JK) that's still in pretty good shape and has a good, let's say $10,000 and up suspension set-up, $5000 wheels and tires, $5000 bumpers, $5000 plus paint Mopar half doors and then there are 1-ton axles $18,000. Would probably be okay with Dana 44's w/upgraded shafts for a while. (could be wrong) So, you have let's say $25,000 to $40,000 in quality parts into a rig with no payments.
It's a no brainer to have a Hemi (or LS/LT) swap. Used still stock Jeep 392's $70,000 and up. New $100,000.
I think I could live with an improperly angled intake, and some welded in parts.
I'm pretty sure they even finance as well.
Disregard if they are asking $65,000 for conversion. But I highly doubt it.
I wouldn't or couldn't do this on my own either. But I bet there are a bunch of guy's/girl's on here that could.
my 2 cents

JT@623

Hooked
When I talked to AMW a few years ago the price was $32K for just a swap labor included. Of course axles suspension etc you could be $50K easily. I decided to go with Motech less weight better fit. the LT1 is impressive with the 10 speed.
I will also say Motech doesn’t forget about you after the work is done.

Last edited:

Bierpower

Hooked
Some of these shops that do this work have it down to damn near factory installs. Not sure where you're all getting this extra $ 30,000 from? AMW4X4 list's the basic 392 w/ 8 speed for $35,000. I don't see where it says plus labor.? (Pulled up a crate 392 for $9600.)
They do state install time, doesn't say extra. For example, JK install time 48 hrs (lets say $125 hr X 48= $6000+$9600=$16,600. $35,000-16,600=$19,000 for a tranny and whatever else that is needed.
I believe it has more to do with what you're starting with. If you have Jeep (even a JK) that's still in pretty good shape and has a good, let's say $10,000 and up suspension set-up, $5000 wheels and tires, $5000 bumpers, $5000 plus paint Mopar half doors and then there are 1-ton axles $18,000. Would probably be okay with Dana 44's w/upgraded shafts for a while. (could be wrong) So, you have let's say $25,000 to $40,000 in quality parts into a rig with no payments.
It's a no brainer to have a Hemi (or LS/LT) swap. Used still stock Jeep 392's $70,000 and up. New $100,000.
I think I could live with an improperly angled intake, and some welded in parts.
I'm pretty sure they even finance as well.
Disregard if they are asking $65,000 for conversion. But I highly doubt it.
I wouldn't or couldn't do this on my own either. But I bet there are a bunch of guy's/girl's on here that could.
my 2 cents
I've done a couple of the Motech LS/LT swaps (long story) in my garage by myself. Motech has been doing this long enough that they have a pretty great system. And both times I had the jeep swapped and driving down the road for less than a set of dynatracs.

Lperdue

When I talked to AMW a few years ago the price was $32K for just a swap labor included. Of course axles suspension etc you could be $50K easily. I decided to go with Motech less weight better fit. the LT1 is impressive with the 10 speed.
I will also say Motech doesn’t forget about you after the work is done.
That was a few years ago unfortunately, today the kit 34,995 without labor (45 hours). Out the door price is around 42,000 now. And that’s crazy since I had mine swapped at the end of 2022 for 37k. Prices all around have gone up like crazy.

As for Motech I’ve only heard good things about them and would definitely consider them. But I’m unsure of when they will have the JT conversions released to the public. Give them a call.

LVMohave

I don't know if you've seen videos on this swap being done - but its not a painless conversion and imo looks like more of a pain than its worth (especially given the fact that hemi's and 8 speed zf's are not cheap). If you can find a wrecked charger/challenger with a hemi would probably be more feasible but then you have a used motor that you have no idea what its condition is in. From what I seen the cutting of mounts, rewelding, the custom adapter for the transfer case , new crossmember etc ... i'd pass on all that and buy a new/used 392 instead (which already has the correct high mount alternator and properly angled intake). I wouldn't attempt this conversion unless I had my own shop. The $30k difference can EASILY be eaten up by odd ends and bits and Labor especially.
I appreciate your reply, but AGAIN the $30K + IS JUST FOR THE ENGINE and tranny if needed - not including labor!

For example: AMW 4x4 charges $56,495 for a 707 Hemi engine, (NOT) including 65 hours for install. NONE of their conversion prices include labor

Last edited:

benatc1

Hooked
I appreciate your reply, but AGAIN the $30K + IS JUST FOR THE ENGINE and tranny if needed - IT DID NOT INCLUDE LABOR.!!!!

For example: AMW 4x4 charges $56,495 for a 707 Hemi engine, (NOT) including 65 hours for install. NONE of their conversion prices include labor
Again, I agree those swaps are way over priced with mark ups, but you have to remember that your pretty much changing everything under the engine bay too, you have to either integrate or replace everything like cooling system, AC, steering, all down the line, now does it add up to all that money, probably not, but like anything your paying for them to bundle it all and make it easy for you. It seems like the LT route can be managed a lot easier and for less money, and similar or better outputs. Which obviously Motech is the way to go there.

LVMohave

Again, I agree those swaps are way over priced with mark ups, but you have to remember that your pretty much changing everything under the engine bay too, you have to either integrate or replace everything like cooling system, AC, steering, all down the line, now does it add up to all that money, probably not, but like anything your paying for them to bundle it all and make it easy for you. It seems like the LT route can be managed a lot easier and for less money, and similar or better outputs. Which obviously Motech is the way to go there.
I thought I read somewhere you can't put another brands engine package in a passenger vehicle built after 2015 (Ex: GM engine into a Jeep) Hopw does Motech get around this?

Last edited:

benatc1

Hooked
I thought I read somewhere you can't put another brands engine package in a passenger vehicle built after 2015 (Ex: GM engine into a Jeep) Hopw does Motech get around this?
You have to use the same model year or newer is all I believe. They can explain more maybe based on state or county, but if you have say a 22, you have to get an LT/trans from a 22 or newer model year and you should be good.

LS JK

Theres nothing to get around, its perfectly legal to run other manufactures powertrains in different vehicles, you do need to run the full powertrain though, so engine and transmission must match. Running a hybrid, like a GM engine but Mopar transmission is not legal.

LVMohave

Theres nothing to get around, its perfectly legal to run other manufactures powertrains in different vehicles, you do need to run the full powertrain though, so engine and transmission must match. Running a hybrid, like a GM engine but Mopar transmission is not legal.
OK, good to know. I certainly did not mean Motech was doing anything wrong.

NPC 6060⁸42

Wait what? Who would know what engine transmission combo I’m running if Im not living in commiefornia? Why would anyone care? If my vehicle can pass an annual safety inspection and not be a menace or danger to others what business is it to anyone else?

CalSgt

Hooked
I appreciate your reply, but AGAIN the $30K + IS JUST FOR THE ENGINE and tranny if needed - not including labor!

Many of the shops out there quoting Hemi swaps are doing the AMW packages, part of the cost included with that AMW kit is the work that goes into Federal and CARB emissions certificates, all of the work programming stock PCM & BCM's to communicate with the new powertrain, designing and assembling a wiring harness, AMW's time to figure out everything it takes to do the swap, the parts & labor warranty, and the install clinics for shop techs to be trained by AMW staff to do the work.

All of the time invested to make the swap work correctly is where a chunk of that premium price comes from, you are paying AMW for their work even if they are not doing the install.

Top Bottom