Help with shocks

lovemachine

I have a 2015 JKU Rubicon. 1” TF leveling kit, just bought BFG KO3 tires. I’m wanting to replace my factory shocks, which just hit 103,000 miles.

I don’t spend a lot of time off road. Major concern is to improve the ride on the road.

I’m still researching, but I think I have it narrowed down to the Fox 2.0, and Rancho RS9000xl.
But I can’t make up my mind which to get.

Thoughts?

WJCO

Meme King
What problems are you having with the ride?

Withthe Rancho shocks, you can adjust them to make it softer or stiffer.

kevman65

Hooked
Honestly, ANYTHING you put on will be an improvement over 8 year old, 103,000 mile shocks.

Best budget shock, the Rancho 9000 series, just because you can adjust them if your load weight changes.

The true Fox 2.0 is going to cost a bit more, has no adjustment, and may be a little stiff of a ride.

GP NOIR

Hooked
Rancho RS7MT. I've had a set on my Wrangler for about a year and have around 30k miles on them. I have not been easy on them. I don't think you can find a better shock for the Wrangler in their price range. Good on road ride. Surprisingly resistant to fade for a shock in its class. Of all the Rancho shocks I've tried, I like these the best.

Breer

Caught the Bug
I think getting the Rancho 9000 that your interested in would be the best IMO. You will be able to adjust them to your liking which was mentioned already. But not knowing exactly what you want out of a shock since your on old factory shocks, I think this is a smart move. You will most likely find a setting you like and never touch them again, but at least you will get what you want out of a shock. The Fox are great shocks but since ride quality is so subjective, you might find them a little firmer than you want. The rancho 9000 is a popular choice for a good reason.

lovemachine

If you’re running the factory springs, do certain aftermarket shocks work better with those? VS having aftermarket springs?

Wish I understood the numbers, or had a chart, comparing firmness such as OME and Fox 2.0.

Yes, shock manufacturers build their product with particular usage expectations. Shocks for lifted vehicles naturally are designed with the expectation that other parts (e.g. springs) have been replaced as well. Racing shocks will expect a racing type suspension.

Companies like AEV, which offer complete systems, or shocks which are designed for their (stiffer) overland-style suspensions will be tailored to work well together.

The shock dampning factor needs to be a good match for the spring rates, length, suspension travel, and weight of the vehicle.

So, consult the shock manufacturer's data to see what expectations their products have.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Being that you’re focus is “on-road” performance with factory coils, I would have to agree with others that it’s hard to go wrong with Rancho 9000s. If firming things up a bit is what you’re after, the RS7MT is what I would run. I should note, this is based on my personal experience testing a myriad of shocks.

Being that you’re focus is “on-road” performance with factory coils, I would have to agree with others that it’s hard to go wrong with Rancho 9000s. If firming things up a bit is what you’re after, the RS7MT is what I would run. I should note, this is based on my personal experience testing a myriad of shocks.
That reminds me, I forgot (perhaps it’s bc I was under the influence) to ask you what you had your 9000xls set at. I recall you thought mine was a bit stiff at 6 front, 6 rear.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That reminds me, I forgot (perhaps it’s bc I was under the influence) to ask you what you had your 9000xls set at. I recall you thought mine was a bit stiff at 6 front, 6 rear.
I was running mine softer than that. I wanna say 3-4 up front and 2 in the rear for daily driving.

Top Bottom