Help! My 3.8 is scaring me

All the above.
Hope for the best and plan for the worst if you want to dig deeper.

Just rebuilt a bottom end + cam and lifters on a truck I have. Same thing, had a tick that wasn't consistent with RPM's or had any indication it was a main bearing failure.
Hopefully it's something like a heat shield!

kg6bws

Video was a little too short but I think I heard it. Sounded like the same noise my engine makes when I'm going uphill or under heavy load. It's been making that same noise for 50k miles nearly without any troubles so I don't worry about it too much. The only time it bugs me is when the mechanic in me comes out, never have found a reason for it. Oil pressure is good and I've tried all the different octane fuels without change. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Kalums

It definitely helped!!! Thanks haha simple fix I should've already tried

If it was that you might have a bad pre-ignition sensor (they used to call them knock sensors)...... For that matter I'm not even sure if the 3.8 has a knock sensor... I've never had to replace one accept on my old TJ.

JakeJK

If it was that you might have a bad pre-ignition sensor (they used to call them knock sensors)...... For that matter I'm not even sure if the 3.8 has a knock sensor... I've never had to replace one accept on my old TJ.

Yeah I don't know it was an odd noise haha guess I'll be running at least medium grade now on

Top Bottom