Hello from Las Cruces NM…

Dale72

Hooked
In Arizona, the forestry department has never suggested clear-cutting. Instead they have been trying to develop a commercial business around removing the small trees and leaving the big ones. But it seems that this is not an economically viable business model so it has failed. In the mean time they focus on planned burns like the one that got out of hand near Los Vegas, NM.

The attitude in the Arizona mountains is completely different than in California. Whereas Californians are still hugging the trees and brush (doing virtually nothing, even after the big Camp fire), Arizonans have been busy working on clearing fire-breaks and making properties fire-wise.

Hopefully New Mexico will now wake up and make sure that everything does not burn in a big ball of flame.

In the mean time, keep a "go" (or "bug out") bag in the Jeep and be ready to depart at any time.
Yeah they don't want to spend the money to clear cut to help prevent the fires. But then they start bitching when everything goes up in flames

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Yeah they don't want to spend the money to clear cut to help prevent the fires. But then they start bitching when everything goes up in flames
Clear cutting is a horrible idea and one that has never been and should never be recommended.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
They use it in Mississippi and Alabama along with controlled burns and we don't have wild fires
You also have 30” of rain a year. Clear cutting is a horrible idea. Period. I’m guessing you have clear cutting mixed up with another term.

Dale72

Hooked
You also have 30” of rain a year. Clear cutting is a horrible idea. Period. I’m guessing you have clear cutting mixed up with another term.
No I don't. That's what they call it down here when they go in and clear out the dead trees. They do that along with controlled burns. They do that about once a year

No I don't. That's what they call it down here when they go in and clear out the dead trees. They do that along with controlled burns. They do that about once a year
To the rest of us "clear cutting" means logging where no trees at all are left behind.

Dale72

Hooked
To the rest of us "clear cutting" means logging where no trees at all are left behind.
And when they do go into harvest the trees in a certain area they don't cut everything down. People go in a few weeks in advance and mark the trees that are to be cut

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Over here that's called logging or harvesting. And with in about 2 weeks after they have harvested that plot of land they are replanting trees.
As I said, you have the term wrong. Just because people use the incorrect term doesn’t mean that’s what it’s called.

A0F47B65-E0F1-4A0F-A1C3-59B7C94EBC1D.png

Top Bottom