Hello All - Newbie here with questions

Jeepin7

Hello All - I am new here, but have been in the Jeep community since 1997. I have a 2022 JLU Rubicon, and I am having some shimmy/DW after the dealership installed a 2” Mopar lift last week.

I had never experienced death wobble or steering shimmy prior to the lift install. The day of the install, I also had them install a Synergy adjustable track bar and a Fox through shaft steering stabilizer, but I still have steering play/shimmy, and when I went over a bridge expansion joint bump, I experienced death wobble.
My Rubicon has 4,300 miles on it, and has never been off-road yet.

What can be the issue, or solution? My guess is to buy the Synergy tie rod and drag link, but this seems like over-kill.

I noted that per one of Eddie’s videos when he installed the Synergy adjustable track bar, measured the length of the original track bar, and matched the length of the Synergy (to that 33.75 inches). The adjusted length of the Synergy track bar on my Rubicon now is 40.25”. The dealership manager said that it was adjusted to the correct length per their alignment rack.

I also noted that my tires air pressure on 35’s is 41 psi, which is too high, and I’ve read that can contribute to shimmy/dw.

Can you please help?

My tire are BFG All Terrain 315-70-17 on Quadratec Morphic wheels (17x 8.5)

CalSgt

Hooked
Welcome to the forum…

id start with asking the service manager at the dealer to take a test drive with you and show them the wobbles. There’s a possibility the track bar just needs a re-torque

Is it a mild shimmy or full death wobble? Shimmy is a mildly oscillating steering wheel, death wobble is violent and requires coming to a stop to end it.

Jeepin7

It’s mostly mild - more of a shimmy going over bumps. However when I went over a bigger bump/bridge expansion joint yesterday, it was more than just a shimmy. The steering wheel went further left and then quickly to the right and I slowed down after it happened, and it stopped. It scared me. It was not anywhere close to full death wobble (which I have never experienced, but have seen it in Jeep videos).

TrailHunter

Hooked
4300 miles never offroad…. something is not tightened correctly. Take it back if you dont want to deal with it… or have someone turn the wheel back and forth (short throws) while you watch underneath and look for the problem.

duktrx

Welcome to Wayalife.

I also noted that my tires air pressure on 35’s is 41 psi, which is too high, and I’ve read that can contribute to shimmy/dw.

Can you please help?

My tire are BFG All Terrain 315-70-17 on Quadratec Morphic wheels (17x 8.5)
41 psi is over-inflated; I have been running BFG KO2s in the same size at 27 psi for five years, and I have over 50K miles on my current set. I would suggest dropping to 30psi and see if the ride is less harsh.

Since you had the dealer do the installation and your Jeep is practically new, I would drag the service manager on a test drive. It sounds like you know how to trigger the issue.

Tixslam

I am running 37" KO2's on the Mopar lift and have no shimmy or wobble at 43k. I get around. I did replace the track bar to get the axle perfectly centered. I would definitely let the dealer look at it, and reduce your air pressure quite a bit.
And welcome from Texas.

Welcome from Arizona (and Texas)!

Normally the Mopar lift comes with a track-bar relocation bracket. The lift is pretty similar to stock but longer springs are used and adaptor brackets are used so that the geometries are similar to before. It seems like the people who installed your lift are used to going by the book and did not know how to deal with your requests to customize things.

Jeepin7

Thank you for the replies and the welcome! Also, last Friday after the install, I noted that my passenger side rear lower control arm was completely loose - the bolt was completely loose and the bar rattled. I was cleaning the underside of my Jeep by hand, and when I cleaned the rear lower lower control arm, I saw this. This was also loose on the day that I had the explanation joint DW/major shimmy issue.

Then on the next morning (Saturday), I drove to the dealer, said that I experienced some shimmy/DW, showed the manager the loose rear lower control arm, and the manager said they would re-torque everything on Saturday, but to bring it back on Monday, and the right mechanic would assess and fix the issue.

I went back to the dealer today (Monday), and the dealer re-torqued everything, but said that the shimmy/play is typical for any Jeep with a lift. When I drove it tonight, it did seem better, but I didn’t hit any bigger bumps on the ride home.

I hope it’s fixed. Thank you for all the replies!

DZRTJP

Welcome from Arizona 👋

I agree with others here... Something needs proper adjusting & torque.
On my previous 2010 JK, I had a death defying death wobble. After replacing all the shocks & installing spacers for the sagging springs, I torqued that front track bar properly. Never had a death wobble again in the years I had it before trading up. Even at high speeds & after adding 33's, I never had DW again. Not even shimmy.

Top Bottom