Heavy Duty Axle Differential Cover Installation Write-Up

RonG

Newbie question:

I just spray the brake cleaner on everything and let it evaporate? Is this to help get the old oil off?

WJCO

Meme King
Newbie question:

I just spray the brake cleaner on everything and let it evaporate? Is this to help get the old oil off?

If you use a heavy amount, just make sure it DOES completely evaporate. If a lot is left puddled in the bottom of the pumpkin, it will thin it the new fluid. Wipe out the bottom with a rag to be safe if you have to.

JWCA

Eddie, Thanks for the detailed instructions. I replaced my rear differential cover today (caught the bottom on a rock last weekend near Como Mine) and it was painless thanks to your post. Regards.

JWCA

So I have everything I need to do a diff fluid change but I'm wanting to get a heavier duty cover. I ordered a pair of poison spyder covers but they won't be here for a week or so. The problem is that I just got new gears in and they recommend that you change your fluid after 500 miles. It's been just about 500 miles. So my question to you guys is, is it okay to keep driving over the 500 miles until I get my new covers to do the change or do change the fluid now and basically "waste" 4 quarts of fluid and redo the fluid change once the covers come in?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
So I have everything I need to do a diff fluid change but I'm wanting to get a heavier duty cover. I ordered a pair of poison spyder covers but they won't be here for a week or so. The problem is that I just got new gears in and they recommend that you change your fluid after 500 miles. It's been just about 500 miles. So my question to you guys is, is it okay to keep driving over the 500 miles until I get my new covers to do the change or do change the fluid now and basically "waste" 4 quarts of fluid and redo the fluid change once the covers come in?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Wait for the new covers.

WJCO

Meme King
Either of those will be enough and should suffice for a sealant. Just make sure there are no gaps. Make sure you follow any drying time instructions before adding fluid.

wwood

Getting ready to change the fluid in both diffs on my 2013 JKUR with 30k miles and re-do the sealant on the front diff since it started leaking a couple of weeks ago. Want to thank Edie for the 2 write-ups on the fluid change and replacing the diff cover. Both are great and will save me a ton of time. I did come across these instructions and 2 videos while looking over Permatex's website for info on the Right Stuff sealant, thought it was interesting that they recommend circling the bolt holes with sealant. Both of these videos are pretty good and really give clear view of how to apply this stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhicVBrL5Bs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVowc8YHFYc

DIRECTIONS:
Clean and dry parts. Push nozzle to dispense the Right Stuff®. Apply a continuous 1/8" to 1/4" bead to one surface, surrounding all bolt holes. Assemble parts within five minutes, tightening bolts to recommended torque levels. Material will fill any surface imperfection. Equipment can be returned to service immediately. To reuse package, leave a 1/2" length of material extending out of the nozzle. Cured material will form a protective plug. To reuse, carefully remove the plug and dispense as before.
NOTE: Not for use as a head gasket or on parts in contact with gasoline.

Top Bottom