Headlight upgrade

Just got the TL heated. If you're OCD, the v-pattern hot spot from each light might bother you. The "V"s on the road become elongated and - how to describe... "Ghostly", "Wrath-like" - as they change shape and size on uneven terrain or turns. If the Evo2 lights were heated, I'd switch.

The "V" does drive me insane, I really thought about selling the TLs but I drove my wife's with stockers and realized why I did it in the first place. I would actually trade someone for the gen 1s if they had them, I like the look and light pattern output more.

Trucklites for the win! Those who don't like them should buy a Hyundai and stick to your daily commute to the cube farm. ;)

Trucklites for the win! Those who don't like them should buy a Hyundai and stick to your daily commute to the cube farm. ;)

But I hear JW speakers are more bitchin' cause....... They're more expensive? Or for performance?

The "V" does drive me insane, I really thought about selling the TLs but I drove my wife's with stockers and realized why I did it in the first place. I would actually trade someone for the gen 1s if they had them, I like the look and light pattern output more.

So today I finally adjusted them, and it does help quite a bit. Reason being the factory alignment is of course too high for these, but mainly because (at least on mine) the passenger factory light alignment was much higher than the driver's side light. I guess that's old school to compensate for weak lights, trying to throw some further down the road. Once I got them a little lower (about 8 inches or so down to hit 3' high at 25' as per the forum writeup) and brought the right down to match the left, the hot spots are not as bad. Next step will be to shim the passenger side light to move its hot spot away from the driver's. I think once they're not crossing or lining up the beams will look more solid in the center.

I may do the mod to add the horizontal adjustment screws, but it sounds easier just to shim.

Overall, the light output on these things is sick. And the brights - holy hell. I seriously cannot throw the brights on with reflective road signs close by or I blind the crap outta myself.

I teetered back and forth whether to switch to the JWs, but now decided they're keepers.

Only things still bugs me is during freezing weather it only heats the upper half. I don't know if I were to hit the brights if it would heat the full lens, but that's what I'd assume. Really wish it would heat the entire lens even on low beam. I won't be hitting any major snowstorms locally, but I'd think for some of you up north it would make sense to have the entire lens burning away the snow - especially where it tends to collect at the bottom of the light.

One more note: I've seen others post that they sometimes don't heat in freezing weather - I think it's because the lens itself is still >50 degrees either from being in the garage or just from the heat of the engine perhaps.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1423373332.824797.jpgImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1423373363.848878.jpg

Truck lites is my vote. I have them and my bro has the JW's and they both work great. That said, the JW is a lot more blinding for other drivers. I don't see that much of a a difference to justify the additional hundreds of dollars

I know I'm the odd man out on headlights,, But I cant see spending the kind of money that Truck Lights or JW Speakers cost. I improved my headlights in a huge way with $100 spent at DDM Tuning. Get the higher power with the low and high beam,, You wont be disappointed.

Truck lites or any of the led headlights are a 100 percent improvement over the stock headlights. They are crap, Jeep should take note and upgrade their crap.

I know I'm the odd man out on headlights,, But I cant see spending the kind of money that Truck Lights or JW Speakers cost. I improved my headlights in a huge way with $100 spent at DDM Tuning. Get the higher power with the low and high beam,, You wont be disappointed.

I went to the same exact company for my HIDs and I've had nothing but problems. Lights misfire all the time.. One side works when the other doesn't. I compared my jeep vs a Silverado with the same HID setup and the Silverado blew mine away. Going to be buying Truck Lites sometime this week.

So today I finally adjusted them, and it does help quite a bit. Reason being the factory alignment is of course too high for these, but mainly because (at least on mine) the passenger factory light alignment was much higher than the driver's side light. I guess that's old school to compensate for weak lights, trying to throw some further down the road. Once I got them a little lower (about 8 inches or so down to hit 3' high at 25' as per the forum writeup) and brought the right down to match the left, the hot spots are not as bad. Next step will be to shim the passenger side light to move its hot spot away from the driver's. I think once they're not crossing or lining up the beams will look more solid in the center.

I may do the mod to add the horizontal adjustment screws, but it sounds easier just to shim.

Overall, the light output on these things is sick. And the brights - holy hell. I seriously cannot throw the brights on with reflective road signs close by or I blind the crap outta myself.

I teetered back and forth whether to switch to the JWs, but now decided they're keepers.

Only things still bugs me is during freezing weather it only heats the upper half. I don't know if I were to hit the brights if it would heat the full lens, but that's what I'd assume. Really wish it would heat the entire lens even on low beam. I won't be hitting any major snowstorms locally, but I'd think for some of you up north it would make sense to have the entire lens burning away the snow - especially where it tends to collect at the bottom of the light.

One more note: I've seen others post that they sometimes don't heat in freezing weather - I think it's because the lens itself is still >50 degrees either from being in the garage or just from the heat of the engine perhaps.

View attachment 123259View attachment 123260

I was under the impression the new heated truck lights not the military version heated the whole lens

I was under the impression the new heated truck lights not the military version heated the whole lens

I don't know for sure, but turning on the brights may be the only way to heat the entire lens. Someone posted on here the heated TLs in the snow, and you could clearly see only the top half was melted. The other day when it was freezing, I checked mine and it's very clear the low beams only heat the upper half. The top was quite warm and the bottom of the lens was stone cold.

The defroster on mine melted the upper half on low beam and the other half when on high beam. I don't see a reason for the entire lens to heat when you really only use low beams during snow storms any way. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1425096276.860852.jpg

TruckLite's response below. I'm fine how mine work, particularly considering how mild the weather is here. Draw your own conclusions based on your needs. Sounds like the elements defrost the lens, allowing the heat from the LEDs/circuit board to melt the snow/ice more rapidly for the half that is lit. FWIW I don't think these would be melting large accumulations of snow/ice on the top half without the heat from the LED/circuit board working WITH the elements in the lens.

-----------------

"I spoke with engineering regarding your concern and they believe by using the back of your hand to test the lamp that you are only feeling the heat from the LEDs/circuit board. The heater circuit will only activate for 5 seconds when the light is initially turned on - this is a diagnostic feature (determining temperature and whether to remain heating) Otherwise the lamp will only turns on at 50 degrees F. If you are still concerned, one way to test this would be to monitor the current draw when the high beams turned on. You should see about a 1 amp drop in current draw when it switches from diagnostic to regular operation. If the current draw only drops by about 0.5 amps then it is likely that one of the heater circuits is not active. The other way to test is use in extreme environments where the whole lens will defrost."

I just installed the Quadratec headlights and fogs tonight. Only took a quick drive after getting them in but they are definitely a huge improvement over the factory lights...

IMG_8974_zpsenygxkmz.jpg

IMG_8972_zps3ujlpgyz.jpg

what is a good cj headlight upgrade? i was thinking of the H4 conversions but they are kind of spendy. mine are just regular headlights and they arent that great.

Top Bottom