Having major Steering problems

Kenney

I have a 2017 JKUR just got done adding 1 ton Barnes 1.5 Alum drag link flip kit and tie Rod. All was okay until I add 37 tires then my steering got real scary made it easy to oversteer and darts way too fast (dangerous). I moved the caster to 6 deg I just added PSC adventure steering kit and that just made it worse. Any suggestions from experience jeepers would be great. going to the Rubicon in July so worried about the drive (wife cant drive it). Help

I set the Caster on stock dana 44 to the max 6 deg leaving the driveshaft strait. (digital tool)
37 Toyo's new
JE Reel DS new
Big brakes
HD Track Bar (raised to match the Pitman Arm (pretty close) even on both side of the jeep within 1/32
Adj upper control arms
Teraflex ball joints (new)
PSC
Toe is 1/16 just checked it
picture are before and after PSC

Attachments

• 20220609_155511.jpg
    20220609_155511.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 18
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 18
  • PSC1.jpg
    PSC1.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 19
  • PSC2.jpg
    PSC2.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 19

JimLee

Hooked
What tire pressure are you running? Also on my new 37 MTs, I had to drive them for a couple hundred miles before they settled down.

Kenney

Running about 32 PSI tire pressure and they have about 400 miles on them.
Did the work myself, just got done with 2 other Jeeps added PR44 and 60 rear no issues and Dana Spicer 44 with Barns Alum steering had oversteer on that one but I changed the Caster to 6 deg today and drove like a dream. I put mine Stock Dana 44 to 6 deg caster but still crazy to drive.
I am wondering if the Alum Tie Rod and Pitman are are flexing. I searched the Web for a week cant find anything.

duktrx

Running about 32 PSI tire pressure and they have about 400 miles on them.
Did the work myself, just got done with 2 other Jeeps added PR44 and 60 rear no issues and Dana Spicer 44 with Barns Alum steering had oversteer on that one but I changed the Caster to 6 deg today and drove like a dream. I put mine Stock Dana 44 to 6 deg caster but still crazy to drive.
I am wondering if the Alum Tie Rod and Pitman are are flexing. I searched the Web for a week cant find anything.
32 PSI seems a bit high.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Did you do the work yourself?

Check for loose bolts. Have someone turn the steering back and forth while you look at the bolts.

If all good, take off the stabilizer and see if it improves.
Might be a stupid question but are you 100% sure all the rod ends are fully seated in the taper? As WJCO stated, have someone dry steer back and forth while you watch for any movement in the steering components.
This is where I would start.

jeeeep

Hooked
the psc steering kit can cause that but I can't remember what PSC told me to do to slow down the steering reaction time.

Reach out to PSC, they've always been real good in helping me resolve issues.

Kenney

Gonna check the Rod ends today. I'll re torque them. There is no wobble just too easy to oversteer I was thinking it might be because of the Flip Drag link, the Barns Drag link is straight there is no hockey stick bend.
off to the Rod Ends

To check the Toe I used two 3 foot levels bunged to the rim on the outside of the tires and two tape measures

Last edited:

Kenney

Update!!
I re-seated all 4 the tie rods using a box wrench to the next cotter key hole so I could see if it moved! Yup! driver side did not seat well. Fix it and I drove it about 3 miles max 45 mph and feels a lot better. I know the Ram assist is working that's for sure I had this issue before the Ram :) but so happy now. I will take it for a longer dive later today but it's 10x better Thanks Jeepers

TrailHunter

Hooked
Update!!
I re-seated all 4 the tie rods using a box wrench to the next cotter key hole so I could see if it moved! Yup! driver side did not seat well. Fix it and I drove it about 3 miles max 45 mph and feels a lot better. I know the Ram assist is working that's for sure I had this issue before the Ram :) but so happy now. I will take it for a longer dive later today but it's 10x better Thanks Jeepers
Same thing happened to me on the way to MOAB... The Jeep was wandering but I had just installed new rod ends... Pulled into a parking lot when I got there, pulled the cotter pins, tightened everything up and it was solid again. Glad it worked for you.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Update!!
Right on. Glad you got it taken care of.

WJCO

Meme King
Update!!
Just a 1/16" of play in steering or suspension parts can cause some crazy symptoms. Gad you got it fixed.

Kenney

Thanks everyone, rides like a champ now. I think all was good until I changed from 315 tire to 37's, and the larger tire loosened to Tie Rod end. One loose Tie Rod end can really make a difference.
Have a Great 4th happy trails thks
Ken

Top Bottom