HAULING HORSE Sh!t - Putting BANDIT to Work

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Because I get asked all the time, there are several reasons why we didn't buy our new 2023 Jeep JT Gladiator with a diesel (in spite of how much we actually love them) and one of them was, its lack of towing capacity. I mean, you'd think that a diesel with tons of torque should be able to pull the most weight but in fact, it has a limit that's 1,000 lbs. LESS than a 3.6L.

20240113200043-ecbd273e.png

Of course, a big part of why we decided to buy BANDIT, was to use him as a work truck and while we may never need to pull 7,000 lbs., I personally prefer to tow with something that has a greater capacity than is needed.

That said, Cindy and I recently got a chance to put BANDIT to work and to pull our dump trailer.
20231231101516-dde6a207.jpg

And, what we needed it for was to haul as much horse poop as we could take from a local rancher.
20231230124827-938163c1.jpg

20231230124820-cabcddfa.jpg

I'm sure this isn't surprising to some of you out there but composted horse poop is pretty heavy! It's essentially dirt and unfortunately, we weren't able to load up as much as our dump trailer could handle. And, this is where something like an ACCUAIR system would have come in handy.
20231231101623-4ce815ed.jpg

However, even if we were able to get rid of the rear end sag, I don't think we would have been able to pull more than the half load we were carrying in the trailer. While the 3.6L certainly had enough power to get the job done, we were really whipping the horses to do it, especially on the mountain passes.
20231231101657-6c7a9fc5.jpg

While it will take more than one trip to get all the horse poop we're wanting, we are happy that it can be done at all and with our little BANDIT.
20231231101749-db58b028.jpg

😁

WJCO

Meme King
Because I get asked all the time, there are several reasons why we didn't buy our new 2023 Jeep JT Gladiator with a diesel (in spite of how much we actually love them) and one of them was, its lack of towing capacity. I mean, you'd think that a diesel with tons of torque should be able to pull the most weight but in fact, it has a limit that's 1,000 lbs. LESS than a 3.6L.

Of course, a big part of why we decided to buy BANDIT, was to use him as a work truck and while we may never need to pull 7,000 lbs., I personally prefer to tow with something that has a greater capacity than is needed.

That said, Cindy and I recently got a chance to put BANDIT to work and to pull our dump trailer.

And, what we needed it for was to haul as much horse poop as we could take from a local rancher.

I'm sure this isn't surprising to some of you out there but composted horse poop is pretty heavy! It's essentially dirt and unfortunately, we weren't able to load up as much as our dump trailer could handle. And, this is where something like an ACCUAIR system would have come in handy.

However, even if we were able to get rid of the rear end sag, I don't think we would have been able to pull more than the half load we were carrying in the trailer. While the 3.6L certainly had enough power to get the job done, we were really whipping the horses to do it, especially on the mountain passes.

While it will take more than one trip to get all the horse poop we're wanting, we are happy that it can be done at all and with our little BANDIT.

😁
What are you guys planting?

kevman65

Hooked
Yup, if you want to haul a full load of horse apples you'll need a 3/4 or 1 ton.

This time of year you could probably run the smoker overloaded.

AZVAJKU

Hooked

😁

I wonder why the diesel has less towing capacity? It’s definitely not a torque issue.
Maybe because the weight of the engine?

When we ordered our diesel JT you could not order the factory bed liner with the diesel, we were told by an insider it had to do with weight- as in it would push the vehicle outside of the manufacturer’s allowed weight category.

I agree that would be a perfect application for a JT with the ACCUAIR system.

I wonder why the diesel has less towing capacity? It’s definitely not a torque issue.

When we ordered our diesel JT you could not order the factory bed liner with the diesel, we were told by an insider it had to do with weight- as in it would push the vehicle outside of the manufacturer’s allowed weight category.

From the table, I see that the diesel does not come with 4:10 axels. This means that the drive line torque buildup will be higher. The rear axel may be the weak point but other drive line components would be under higher stress.

Brute

Hooked

God, if bed liner pushes the weight limit beyond acceptable limits…that’s incredible.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Definitely not due to lack of power because there really is a ton of it. If I recall, it's because of how hot it gets. Jeep has it pulling power to help prevent it from overheating.

Top Bottom