Handheld Radio recommendations?

I'm looking for a high quality handheld radio to mount in my Jeep. I've been using Cobra 2 way radios that have served me well but I know there's room for improvement. I was looking at CBs as well but for my purposes I don't get the chance to wheel in groups and don't think one is necessary for me - for now at least - but I'm open to any input as I'm not too familiar with off the grid communication.

Thanks in advance!

TonyT

Caught the Bug
I've got a couple of the Rugged Radio handhelds, but I bought a Baofeng UV-5R+ and I find myself using it al the time now. It's a much better experience not having to load the computer software and pre-program the channels/freq's into the radio.

My new go-to handheld:
-Baofeng UV-5R+ (RED) ($30)
-Baofeng SRH805S "stubby" antenna ($9)
-Baofeng Battery Eliminator Car charger (on standby) ($9)

bmkrinne

I also use a Baofeng UV-5R handheld radio on the trails. You can buy them on Amazon for about $25. Programmable for all GMRS, FRS and Rugged Radio channels. Quite a few other guys I ride with also run them and have no troubles. Seems like the blue Rugged Radios are also very popular but cost quite a bit more then the Baofeng.

I also use a Baofeng UV-5R handheld radio on the trails. You can buy them on Amazon for about $25. Programmable for all GMRS, FRS and Rugged Radio channels. Quite a few other guys I ride with also run them and have no troubles. Seems like the blue Rugged Radios are also very popular but cost quite a bit more then the Baofeng.
I've been leaning towards Rugged Radios for some time now, but I'll have to give these Baofengs a look!

CalSgt

Hooked
I've been leaning towards Rugged Radios for some time now, but I'll have to give these Baofengs a look!
The rugged handhelds are decent but have changed since I bought mine.

Rugged used to be easily user programable to unique frequencies so a group of friends in a crowded area could communicate with less possibility of having others on the same channel. Now they require a special cable and PC software to change the frequencies. I think the FCC threatened Rugged for selling HAM equipment to people without proper licensing.

When physically comparing the rugged handhelds to the Baofeng (with similar part numbers) they were identical, the same batteries and accessories worked on both. Rugged is basically charging for the pre installed package of race channels and limited customer support.

bmkrinne

I just carry a pdf printout of all the GMRS and Rugged frequencies and when the group says we’re running BFGPITS today, I pull out the sheet and hand punch in the frequency on the Baofeng. Works like a charm for $25!!

kbp810

Caught the Bug
I don't think the new ones can be programmed at all without the software
Yeah... unfortunately the Baofengs being sold now are locked to only transmit on 2m/70cm; they don't work for transmitting on GMRS anymore (though they do now sell a specific GMRS version; that only works on GMRS/FRS). Even with Chirp, you'll finagle with it to get the GMRS frequencies in, go to write, and find that they won't take. They caved to FCC pressure, and locked them down.

I'm sure someone's probably found a way around it by now... but the last pair a buddy bought about a year ago, we couldn't get them to transmit on GMRS. Not sure if it's a shunt on the board blocking it like some of the other ham radios out there (mars cap), or if it's firmware? Any time we tried transmitting, would just beep and nothing happened.

Top Bottom