HAM and GMRS

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Hey all, a bit of a non-orthodox post here but I'm having some trouble and looking for help. I want to build an emergency mobile radio for the trails that can transmit oob. I've already moded it to do so but I can't seem to get it to work.

Any HAM guys on here know the details of GMRS and OOB with Yaesu? I thought it was pretty simple and straight forward with simplex and no tone sql, but I can't get my other FRS/GMRS radios to here the transmission - so trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong and all the big places frown on this conversation since it's not technically FCC compliant. This is really for emergency situations primarily, but I can't find any help.

Let me know if you know anything about this "controversial" topic. Thanks!

I’m thinking this conversation will be taking place via DM.😉

Why because the FCC patrol WAYALIFE looking for people who slightly violate comms technicalities 0.5% of the time they are wheeling because they are in a life or death emergency?

I’m pretty sure imported Malaysian skid plates made by children are more illegal than that.

Why because the FCC patrol WAYALIFE looking for people who slightly violate comms technicalities 0.5% of the time they are wheeling because they are in a life or death emergency?

I’m pretty sure imported Malaysian skid plates made by children are more illegal than that.
No, it’s because people are stupid asshats with their thou-shalts with the rules.

Aceisback

Hooked

Actually it’s Israel and you are more than welcome to watch the video of a grown ass man operating the metal press and metal brake. What’s your beef with the Israelis?
We, the United States, import quite a few things from Israel so not sure why you would think aluminum would be illegal?🤷‍♂️

rubiDave

You didn't mention what radio & antenna you have. Are they capable of that band? A single band 2m radio can be made to talk on race radio frequencies but not gmrs. You need a dual band or 70cm radio for gmrs. Same for the antenna.

Are you sure the mod was done correctly? Have you double checked that the correct components were removed or solder bridges made and no collateral was done on the circuit board. Some radios also require a hard reset for the hardware mod to be recognized by the radios processor. Does yours?

On your other other frs gmrs radios, make sure they're set up with no ctcss tone required (sometimes called privacy channels ) for their squelch to break.

If you have fancy radio, make sure you're transmitting in FM analog, not some digital mode.

Hope this helps.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
I’m thinking this conversation will be taking place via DM.😉
I mean, I guess...everyone gets so sensitive on the legalities. As I stated clearly, I'm not intending to do anything illegal - I just want to know how. If you teach me how to make a fire am I now an arsonist? But I get you...

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
You didn't mention what radio & antenna you have. Are they capable of that band? A single band 2m radio can be made to talk on race radio frequencies but not gmrs. You need a dual band or 70cm radio for gmrs. Same for the antenna.

Are you sure the mod was done correctly? Have you double checked that the correct components were removed or solder bridges made and no collateral was done on the circuit board. Some radios also require a hard reset for the hardware mod to be recognized by the radios processor. Does yours?

On your other other frs gmrs radios, make sure they're set up with no ctcss tone required (sometimes called privacy channels ) for their squelch to break.

If you have fancy radio, make sure you're transmitting in FM analog, not some digital mode.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for posting valid questions...

This is on a Yaesu FT2D, I have done the mars/murs mod. Looked good to me and clean and the radio did reset after as expected on the many many videos on the internets.

I'm not sure how to set tone on my GMRS radio, they are simple old ones that I'm not sure even have tone set..I'll poke around some more - I didn't even think to check that so thanks for that idea.

Am doing analog FM, but also a good observation. Thanks for the ideas!

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Wow, you nailed it @rubiDave - it was sub channels. I didn't realize I needed to set it to 0 in order to be in a non-tone situation. That was exactly the thing I needed to know. Thank you! All set!

Aceisback

Hooked
I mean, I guess...everyone gets so sensitive on the legalities. As I stated clearly, I'm not intending to do anything illegal - I just want to know how. If you teach me how to make a fire am I now an arsonist? But I get you...
Yep, just simply saying that the person/persons that will give you the information that you seek may not want to advertise on the World Wide Web.
I don’t think at all that the FCC is lurking here licking their chops waiting on someone to share that info.
It sounds like rubiDave is very well versed in these radio ins and outs.
Hell I’m just an old dumbass country boy that still has two Realistic CB radios purchased from Radio Shack back in the late 70’s.👍
I hope you get the answered you seek.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
It's always good news when you find out you didn't brick a $400 radio.
I knew I didn’t brick it. The mod is super easy to do. I plan on getting a handheld gmrs or something more permenant (and legal) for trail use but like most things always good to have a backup. And maybe a backup to the backup.

Top Bottom