Granite Rubicon Build

Havoc40

Powdercoat was scraping off too easy and then parts were rusting?

Pretty much. I mean it wasn't "scraping" off. The problem starts once you get a scratch or get a rock chip in the coating. It'll rust, then eventually lift the coating around the chip causing it to rust behind. All my stuff was done with a zinc primer, and 2 coats of powder. Still didn't last up here.

Here's a picture of my skins. The grayish area would lift right up with your fingernail. My front bumper wasn't too bad as I was anal about touch ups, but it was starting to around a few rock chips.

20170218_135525.jpg
20170218_135543.jpg

After line-x

20170309_185925.jpg
20170309_185737.jpg

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
Being from just south of you originally, I'd say your new coating should be a big improvement in terms of durability. Your Jeep looks great but I have to say, I'm really interested in what you're going to do to your mom's Jeep, as well as her reaction to it. Should be fun!

Havoc40

Thanks guys!

My Mom's Jeep should be going under the knife on the 21st. All the parts are in my possession. I purchased the tires, Discount is just waiting on me to drop them off. They were cool about holding the tires until I needed them.

I'll keep this updated.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Pretty much. I mean it wasn't "scraping" off. The problem starts once you get a scratch or get a rock chip in the coating. It'll rust, then eventually lift the coating around the chip causing it to rust behind. All my stuff was done with a zinc primer, and 2 coats of powder. Still didn't last up here.

Here's a picture of my skins. The grayish area would lift right up with your fingernail. My front bumper wasn't too bad as I was anal about touch ups, but it was starting to around a few rock chips.

View attachment 252024
View attachment 252025

After line-x

View attachment 252026
View attachment 252027

I really like the linex idea. Do they offer different textures. I would want mine as smooth and fine as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Havoc40

I really like the linex idea. Do they offer different textures. I would want mine as smooth and fine as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

They do not offer different textures. From what I understand you can change the texture a little by adjusting the output pressure of the system, but it's still rough when compared to powder coat. That was my biggest fear about going to a bed liner type product. I'm a fan of clean powder, and didn't think I'd like the rough look. After my skins started peeling, I decided function over form was going to win the battle and tried Line-X. Happy thus far. Just make sure you get the premium top coat they offer. It dramatically smooths up the look and gives it a permanent "glossy" appearance. No concern for UV fading or dirt sticking within the texture.

Top Bottom