Grandpa's Willys Wheeler

Well, after 4 attempts finally here's the painted rear bumper cover. I'll wait about a month before I do the final color sand & polish so its still a bit rough right now. After cutting through the clear & base the last 3 times I want to make sure the paint is cured & hard before finishing. I would have never made it as a painter as a career.

Rick
View attachment 155943View attachment 155944

Can you tell me the steps you go through when painting all of your parts? I'd like to do the door handle inserts and bumper covers like yours

I know I said the JKS disconnects were going to be my last mod but I was getting tired of looking @ the rear cargo mat we made when the back seat was still installed but didn't look good after taking out the rear seat. So I picked up the Mopar rear cargo mat for a JKU, fits nicely.

I'm not sure when I'll be installing the disconnects. I think I can get the stock Swaybar links out but I don't see how I'm going to hold the screw driver while tightening the mounting posts with 1 arm. Guess I'll wait for some help from my neighbor or my wife when she gets back from calif.

Rick

P8210001a.jpg

I know I said the JKS disconnects were going to be my last mod but I was getting tired of looking @ the rear cargo mat we made when the back seat was still installed but didn't look good after taking out the rear seat. So I picked up the Mopar rear cargo mat for a JKU, fits nicely.

I'm not sure when I'll be installing the disconnects. I think I can get the stock Swaybar links out but I don't see how I'm going to hold the screw driver while tightening the mounting posts with 1 arm. Guess I'll wait for some help from my neighbor or my wife when she gets back from calif.

Rick

View attachment 161088

Too bad I'm over here in New Mex.
I've put several of those in jeeps and only takes about 25 minutes. But it definitely takes some muscle, especially when drilling out the swaybar.

Too bad I'm over here in New Mex.
I've put several of those in jeeps and only takes about 25 minutes. But it definitely takes some muscle, especially when drilling out the swaybar.

Drilling out the swaybar? Ut Oh, I knew nothing about that.

Rick

Whew...I didn't see any drilling required when I read all the how-to's & watched a video of it being done.

Thanks
Rick

Whew...I didn't see any drilling required when I read all the how-to's & watched a video of it being done.

Thanks
Rick

I just installed a set about a week ago and no there is no drilling but you will need some assistance to hold the pin stationary while you tighten the nut.

Thanks guys, that's what I figured :-(
Can you tell me the steps you go through when painting all of your parts? I'd like to do the door handle inserts and bumper covers like yours

I scuff up with 600 grit sand paper or with some smaller parts just hit it with a green scotchbrite pad, wipe down with Isopropyl Alcohol. Then I paint with several coats of primer. On the larger parts I have sometimes sanded smooth after primer, then the base coat to cover. Finally I put about 5-6 coats of clear on the big parts so I have enough clear without burning through when color sanding & polishing. On the smaller pieces I'm not color sanding usually around 3 coats of clear.

Rick

I just installed a set about a week ago and no there is no drilling but you will need some assistance to hold the pin stationary while you tighten the nut.

I had to just barely drill the swaybar
Both times I've installed the JKS adjustable swaybar links. There was a lip on the swaybar and I couldn't get it the pin seated completely.

It's been a couple years but I had to drill

Well, I ended up getting it done by myself. Only ruined 1 harbor freight Philips screwdriver. Had to grind it down a bit to fit in the hole of the pin, then broke the handle off on the 1st pin trying to get it back out after tightening the nut, it was jammed up. Starting to get hot out here so I'm glad its finished. I did make a mess with a pos 1 handed grease gun I bought & had to load up twice, 1st time it screwed up after greasing 1 zerk fitting.

Rick
P8220002a.jpgP8220001a.jpg

Thank you, I guess if there's a will there's a way. What should have been a 1 hour job turned into 3 hours. :gaah:

Rick

My final mod list, pretty much done

Mopar door sill protectors
Mopar taillight covers
Mopar rear cargo mat
Mopar gas door with body colored bolts
Mopar locking gas cap
Mopar wheel locks
Trailer hitch, wiring, receiver & cover
Door stops
Dead Pedal
Shift knobs(auto & 4x4)
Grabars
Hood struts
14” black billet antenna
Black Door Handle Recess Guards
Painted black exterior keylocks
Hinge covers(hood & doors)( powder coated black)
“Jeep” license plate frame
“Jeep” license plate screws
“Jeep” valve stem caps
Wiper cowl cover(powder coated black)
Black Aluminum Hood Catch Set
Hood lock
Billet grille inserts(black)
Banks Ram Air Intake
Magnaflow Dual outlet axleback muffler
Superchips 3872 Flashpaq Tuner
Painted interior trim bolts & vent trim rings(Copperhead)
Rough Country Front Skid Plate
Smittybilt Classic Rock Rails W/ Step
RockHard Aluminum Skid Plates(Engine/Trans, Transfer case, Gas Tank, Evap. Cannister)
JKS Swaybar Disconnects
Drake Off Road™ Door & Tailgate Handle Inserts painted Copperhead
Hotheads complete headliners kit
Painted Front Bumper insert(Copperhead)
Painted Front Tow Hooks(Copperhead)
Painted Centercaps(Copperhead)
Painted Rear Tow Hooks(Copperhead)
Painted Rear Bumper insert(Copperhead)
Recovery kit with US GI Military Original Issue E-Tool Entrenching Shovel
VIAIR 400P Portable Compressor
ARB ARB505 E-Z Deflator

My final mod list, pretty much done

Mopar door sill protectors
Mopar taillight covers
Mopar rear cargo mat
Mopar gas door with body colored bolts
Mopar locking gas cap
Mopar wheel locks
Trailer hitch, wiring, receiver & cover
Door stops
Dead Pedal
Shift knobs(auto & 4x4)
Grabars
Hood struts
14” black billet antenna
Black Door Handle Recess Guards
Painted black exterior keylocks
Hinge covers(hood & doors)( powder coated black)
“Jeep” license plate frame
“Jeep” license plate screws
“Jeep” valve stem caps
Wiper cowl cover(powder coated black)
Black Aluminum Hood Catch Set
Hood lock
Billet grille inserts(black)
Banks Ram Air Intake
Magnaflow Dual outlet axleback muffler
Superchips 3872 Flashpaq Tuner
Painted interior trim bolts & vent trim rings(Copperhead)
Rough Country Front Skid Plate
Smittybilt Classic Rock Rails W/ Step
RockHard Aluminum Skid Plates(Engine/Trans, Transfer case, Gas Tank, Evap. Cannister)
JKS Swaybar Disconnects
Drake Off Road[emoji769] Door & Tailgate Handle Inserts painted Copperhead
Hotheads complete headliners kit
Painted Front Bumper insert(Copperhead)
Painted Front Tow Hooks(Copperhead)
Painted Centercaps(Copperhead)
Painted Rear Tow Hooks(Copperhead)
Painted Rear Bumper insert(Copperhead)
Recovery kit with US GI Military Original Issue E-Tool Entrenching Shovel
VIAIR 400P Portable Compressor
ARB ARB505 E-Z Deflator

That's a long list...wish I had those pockets [emoji41]