Gorilla's super slow Building of SilverBack

SilverBack

I felt a little vibration for about 3 seconds about a mile prior to the failure. The vibration ceased after that and about a mile later I felt it again. This time it almost instantly became very bad, the Jeep went crazy and I heard a large clang then heard the tire come off ( it passed me) heard a very large bang ad the back of the jeep dropped followed by some clanging. Slowly guided it to the berm and brought it to a stop. The State police officer said he'd never seen anyone get over so smoothly in that situation. Said I should play the lottery

SilverBack

did the weight cause it to shimmy like hell?
damn, glad all is ok and no other incidents on the road.
that wheel casting must have been bad from the factory
Only thing I an piece together. The wheel has 136k miles so I'm about to replace them all. F... all that happening again. Gunna get a nist net the looks good with 4.75 backspacing so I can get rid of the spacers too.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You and me both!

So I thought the studs caused (or lugs) everything.
However, all of the studs are sheered at the exact same angle of 88degs (+/- 1deg).
I have been able to piece together this.

Weight came off
Wheel stress cracked
tire came off and took a stroll
outer face of the wheel impacted the road surface causing the studs to sheer off. looks like I took a metal sheer to them.
There is no sign at all of loose lugs and no deformation in the stud holes except in the same direction in every hole of a thread mark
1.5 inch spacers with 120k on them. they had no damage (with the exception of the sheered studs) and held torque like a gem.
Thanks for the update. Based on what you just said, I don't think the spacers were the issue. Just wanted to know, just in case.

jeeeep

Hooked
Only thing I an piece together. The wheel has 136k miles so I'm about to replace them all. F... all that happening again. Gunna get a nist net the looks good with 4.75 backspacing so I can get rid of the spacers too.
I wouldn't trust the other wheels either, they likely came from the same batch.

I wonder f they have manufacturing date/batch numbers on them

Top Bottom