Gorilla's super slow Building of SilverBack

SilverBack

In addition to the ball joints I swapped out the drag link and tie rod. Steer Smarts Yedi XDs.. drives like a different vehicle all together.
IMG_2485.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

SilverBack

Damn near threw out my shoulder getting the drag link and steering wheel centered. I think I may need to set my toe in but it can’t be far off as the Jeep drives freaking awesome.

SilverBack

Congrats, new components really tighten everything up.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Thanks... sure do. Amazing how you one issue masks other issues. Much better now and only another couple weekend projects to go!

jdofmemi

What setup do you have?

This
http://www.exodusjeeps.com/Jeep-JK-Aluminum-Tie-Rod-by-Exodus-Jeeps_p_1203.html

I only have the tie rod for now. I will add the drag link when the tie rod end on the Steer Smart wears out.

Those were on my Jeep when I bought it, I'm not sure for how long, but it only had 24,000 miles then.

By 35,000, one of the tie rod ends was bad, I mean like almost to fall out of the socket bad.

I've run the Exodus since then and now have 55,000 miles, with no wear. One ton tie rod ends last a long time. The only downside is you have to get a reamer and ream out the knuckles to 7 degree. Several members have the right one.

I've pushed tons of rocks with the tie rod, and have had the whole front end held up by the tie rod. It comes back straight every time. Nothing like it👍👍👍

I would run what you have until it wears out, then change it over.

SilverBack

This
http://www.exodusjeeps.com/Jeep-JK-Aluminum-Tie-Rod-by-Exodus-Jeeps_p_1203.html

I only have the tie rod for now. I will add the drag link when the tie rod end on the Steer Smart wears out.

Those were on my Jeep when I bought it, I'm not sure for how long, but it only had 24,000 miles then.

By 35,000, one of the tie rod ends was bad, I mean like almost to fall out of the socket bad.

I've run the Exodus since then and now have 55,000 miles, with no wear. One ton tie rod ends last a long time. The only downside is you have to get a reamer and ream out the knuckles to 7 degree. Several members have the right one.

I've pushed tons of rocks with the tie rod, and have had the whole front end held up by the tie rod. It comes back straight every time. Nothing like it[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

I would run what you have until it wears out, then change it over.

Thanks. I will do just that. Slow and steady.

SilverBack

Ordered in June and amended in July of 2014. A brand spanking new JKUR HR, Billet Silver w/black top and fenders.

Took Delivery in Bremerhaven Germany on 19 Dec 2014.

First Sight.
SilverBack was pissed at me yesterday and tried to end me.
Lost a weight, wheel split, tire came off at 65MPH on a super busy interstate.
Counting my blessings.

Attachments

• Jeep 1 4-20-22.jpg
    Jeep 1 4-20-22.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 10
  • Jeep 2 4-20-22.jpg
    Jeep 2 4-20-22.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Jeep 3 4-20-22.jpg
    Jeep 3 4-20-22.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 10
  • Jeep 4 4-20-22.jpg
    Jeep 4 4-20-22.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 10

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
SilverBack was pissed at me yesterday and tried to end me.
Lost a weight, wheel split, tire came off at 65MPH on a super busy interstate.
Counting my blessings.
WTF?? Glad you're okay and that nobody got hurt from the wheel.

EDIT: Am I seeing things right, did the studs on the wheel spacer break? Also, were the spacers 1.75"?

SilverBack

WTF?? Glad you're okay and that nobody got hurt from the wheel.

EDIT: Am I seeing things right, did the studs on the wheel spacer break? Also, were the spacers 1.75"?
You and me both!

So I thought the studs caused (or lugs) everything.
However, all of the studs are sheered at the exact same angle of 88degs (+/- 1deg).
I have been able to piece together this.

Weight came off
Wheel stress cracked
tire came off and took a stroll
outer face of the wheel impacted the road surface causing the studs to sheer off. looks like I took a metal sheer to them.
There is no sign at all of loose lugs and no deformation in the stud holes except in the same direction in every hole of a thread mark
1.5 inch spacers with 120k on them. they had no damage (with the exception of the sheered studs) and held torque like a gem.

SilverBack

You mean the weight came off and got lodged between the wheel barrel and brake caliper?
Never found the weight. Only found the front of the wheel (face, front flange and front read seat) and about 1/3 to 1/2 of the wheel wide. never found the rest.

jeeeep

Hooked
You and me both!

So I thought the studs caused (or lugs) everything.
However, all of the studs are sheered at the exact same angle of 88degs (+/- 1deg).
I have been able to piece together this.

Weight came off
Wheel stress cracked
tire came off and took a stroll
outer face of the wheel impacted the road surface causing the studs to sheer off. looks like I took a metal sheer to them.
There is no sign at all of loose lugs and no deformation in the stud holes except in the same direction in every hole of a thread mark
1.5 inch spacers with 120k on them. they had no damage (with the exception of the sheered studs) and held torque like a gem.
did the weight cause it to shimmy like hell?
damn, glad all is ok and no other incidents on the road.
that wheel casting must have been bad from the factory

Top Bottom