Glock gen?!

Oreo_penguin536

Was curious for some of you gun nuts on here what you guys think. I’m looking at buying a Glock. Bare with me because I’m not familiar with all the sizing and such.

The nutshell is at the very bottom, for details keep reading

The reasoning for a Glock is because everyone and their mother has one, so parts are easy and plentiful to come by and versatility. I could get a carbine kit. I don’t have the money to buy a 670$ Glock and a 800$ ar-15 when I could get a Glock and a mechtech carbine kit and call it a day.
This would be for CC and for USPSA/IDPA since I’m looking to get into that soon. This will also be the first pistol I I have bought but not my first owned (I have 2 others from inheritance) and I’m torn between the gen 5 and the gen 4. Theirs a 80$ difference out the door price where I’m going to get it from. I’ve researched all the differences and want to have some second and third opinions.
So far...

Gen 5:
Slide so far seems more durable than gen 4s
Different rifling for better accuracy
Flared magwell
Good for Ambidextrous/left handed shooters (I am ambidextrous which is a plus)
It can also shoot all ammo instead of having to buy a new barrel for shooting lead. (correct me if I’m wrong but I swear it was lead)

No aftermarket support yet
Can’t get carbine kits yet
Is slightly bigger than the gen 4 width wise
It’s new, possibly new enough for problems not to have been brought up yet
Ejection??? A few videos I stumbled upon have shown that when it ejects it puts the cases back in your face, not sure if this is due to cheap ammo or what though.

Gen 4
Huge aftermarket support
Slimmer width wise than the gen 5
It’s older, any issues that could have happened already have surfaced
It is cheaper even if that’s by 80$.
It can support a carbine kit

Slide sucks for durability from what I’ve searched!
Can’t shoot lead
Old style rifling in the barrel
Finger groves (I haven’t shot either the gen 4 or 5 yet but this didn’t seem to be an issue for me just holding it, for a lot of people it is though I know)

They are both great, and for any gun I choose for carrying all I want is something simple that’s reliable. As far as competition goes I’d prefer it be a suitable starting platform.
I know it’s a matter of time before the gen 5 has aftermarket support, but as of right now I do like the idea of the versatility of the gen 4 with the carbine kits. I also like that it’s slimmer for CC. For those of you who haven’t met me yet I’m a pretty fit slender guy (6’3, 190) and I wear decently fitted clothes. I’m not looking to completely change my wardrobe just to CC.

Bottom line, I need something that I can carry without a whole lot of printing (looking to use a IWB holster), something that is versatile as far as what I can do with it or what I can add to it (i.e. carbine kit or “extras”) and something that can be a good starting platform for USPSA.
For this gun I wouldn’t go all “tacticool” and get all the extra shit for carrying. For me if I’m going to carry it then it stays stock, but as I get older and my collection grows I’m sure I will switch my carry gun and I would like to be able to have the option of adding fun stuff for when it isn’t being carried.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
I've personally found the Glock to not be as comfortable as other guns. I've carried several 9s and 45s (various manufacturers) over the years and ultimately went down to a 380 primarily for comfort. Being that this is your first gun, make sure you really think about it well. Otherwise it becomes cumbersome to carry and you'll find yourself leaving it at home which defeats the entire purpose to begin with. Just my experiences.

Oreo_penguin536

I've personally found the Glock to not be as comfortable as other guns. I've carried several 9s and 45s (various manufacturers) over the years and ultimately went down to a 380 primarily for comfort. Being that this is your first gun, make sure you really think about it well. Otherwise it becomes cumbersome to carry and you'll find yourself leaving it at home which defeats the entire purpose to begin with. Just my experiences.

Should I be looking at different makes?
I’ve shot a gen 3 g19 and I really did like how it felt. But I’m also partly a utilitarian which is why I was drawn to it in the first place due to carbine kits and the ability to sport shoot them. Plus, like I said everyone has them so parts aren’t hard to find. Originally I was looking at the xd mod 2 but after research have found that people had to send live guns back in warranty due the grip safety locking up.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Being in Cali I can only buy Gen 3 so I can’t comment on 4 or 5. But Gen 3 is solid. Me, I like the finger grooves and Glocks feels & points great in my hand. But like WJCO said, some hate it. If I could CC it would be my G26. But my 19 or 23 would carry well also. What seems to print the most is the Grip... hence the benefit of the short 26 grip.... If you own a glock you can become a GSSF member and shoot in their matches to get your feet wet for IDPA etc... I’ve done a couple GSSF matches, and it was fun (just 8 hrs of waiting to shoot for 60 seconds) The G17 is more popular in (non-running) matches (longer slide) but the 19 is doable and my personal favorite sized Gun. That probably didn’t help much... just my opinion. I vote 19, Gen 4 or 5 depending on if you like the finger grooves or not. Both models you can adjust the back strap. (I like the low bore axis of the Glock) You should shoot all models/brands you are considering before buying.

JDDK

I agree on trying all. Accuracy matters. I have 4 newer pistols that i qualified for ccw with- but my 2nd gen g17 that is 24yrs old with 10k rounds was still getting the bullseyes. everyone and every gun is different. I am more confident carrying that old glock because i can shoot it straight under pressure. its bigger and harder to carry but it gets the job done best for me.
guess I gotta sell some guns...

enfielded0405

Tried/bought them all. Gen 2 G19 is my all time fav, then Gen 3 G19. Just something in the Gen 4 and Gen 5 grip that doesn’t click with me.

G19 is the Swiss Army knife of the line does everything well. Was my CC for years and shot for fun in competition but won’t make major power class. But it’s a work horse. I have one that has to have close to 10k rds through it. A little finish wear not much else.

Coop

Caught the Bug
Comfort is a big issue. The ranges around here have a very well stocked rental. If your ranges are similar you might try firing a few hundred rounds per test weapon to determine how well the weapon fits your hand and firing position.
I love my Glocks and they are very comfortable to me. I “discovered” the Walther PPQ which is like a perfected Glock. I love this weapon but it may not fit your needs for CC.
By the way, my Glock gen 2s and 3s have never had trouble with any ammo. I would never buy the cheap crap anyway. One of the Glock pluses.

14JK-U

I have carried various makes and models of 9 and 45, shot many more and as wjco stated I also went down to a 380 for carry. I got the G42 because I couldn't find a nice size that was comfortable to shoot and carry. The 42 isn't the most comfortable out there and is pretty snappy with normal defense rounds but I landed on the low recoil hydro shock round. For what I use it for it does great, I carry 100% of the time I'm not on base, with that said I've never found glock to be "comfortable" but they are very dependable in my experience

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327AZ using WAYALIFE mobile app

Judesign

Caught the Bug
You can’t go wrong with a 19 but I have trouble concealing it in summer months. As for gen in my opinion it honestly doesn’t matter. I’ve owned 3-5 and haven’t had any issues. That being said my daily carry is a 43 (single stack 9mm). Disappears on me with a good holster and an extra mag. Whichever you choose (obviously after trying them out) I would suggest spending a vast majority of range time with that gun. For example I prefer shooting the 19 but I spend most of my practice rounds on the 43 and feel extremely comfortable with it now.

Oreo_penguin536

Just got back from the range, I can’t afford hundreds of rounds per gun but I did 50 rounds on both gen 4 and 5. Gen for was snappier but more accurate for me and the gen 5 was smoother but I was all over the map with it. Groupings of 2-3 vs groupings of 8+.

I think I’m going to go with the 4. Part of me wants to try another gun, Glock 19 fits nicely in my hand, I don’t feel the finger grooves hardly and I’m accurate and smooth with it but something is just, different. I’m not experienced enough in the hand gun game to tell. I guess what matters is it’s comfy in my hands, I’m accurate with it and it’s snappy to me like the shields are.

It’s like if I hop on my yz 450, I’ve been riding enough to tell the difference between the clickers on my forks being off vs me being down 1/2 pound on tire pressure. Just not that way with hand guns yet which blows!

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Just got back from the range, I can’t afford hundreds of rounds per gun but I did 50 rounds on both gen 4 and 5. Gen for was snappier but more accurate for me and the gen 5 was smoother but I was all over the map with it. Groupings of 2-3 vs groupings of 8+.

I think I’m going to go with the 4. Part of me wants to try another gun, Glock 19 fits nicely in my hand, I don’t feel the finger grooves hardly and I’m accurate and smooth with it but something is just, different. I’m not experienced enough in the hand gun game to tell. I guess what matters is it’s comfy in my hands, I’m accurate with it and it’s snappy to me like the shields are.

It’s like if I hop on my yz 450, I’ve been riding enough to tell the difference between the clickers on my forks being off vs me being down 1/2 pound on tire pressure. Just not that way with hand guns yet which blows!

Honestly, you may go through several handguns, before you find the right one for you. I’ve never been a big Glock fan, but I now own a G19, with a Travis Haley Skimmer trigger, Glock extended slide release, and Ameriglo sights. It’s ugly, but I like it. It’s too large for summer carry, though.

IMG_1504.jpg

BamBamDeer

I recommend replacing the factory polymer sights with a good set of night sights.

If you want to shoot lead I think you can get a Lone Wolf barrel for right around $100.

I am a 1911 fan and have a hard time warming up to Glocks...but they work and work well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

SSTM714

I have owned G1-4 Glocks. My fav is the 4. I’m a big Glock fan and Armorer, but I’m not sold on the Gen5.

I run aftermarket magwell flares, and I do not like the G5 design. I like the finger grooves, but I understand they can cause issues with LARGE hands. I don’t buy the accuracy claims with the barrel. (And it’s a handgun... if your gunfighting beyond 20 yards, get to your rifle!)

I always buy stock sights and replace them. Not a fan of the regular trijicon night sights. There are better stuff out there.

RMR is an option, but there is a considerable learning curve with it.

Keep oil out of your firing pin channel and Replace your recoil spring every 5k rounds or so, and the gun will last a lifetime.

... oh, don’t shoot lead. Keep a jacket on that ammo and you’ll be fine.

My $.02.

Last edited:

RedPool

All in all, everyone agrees that if I went gen 4 19 that isn’t a bad choice, and it’ll do IDPA ,GSSF and USPSA well enough for a starting platform?]

You mention GSSF. If you are planning on shooting GSSF, go ahead and sign up for a membership, but make sure you go for 2 years or more. By signing up for 2 or more, you will get a coupon that will allow you to go to a blue label, or participating dealer, and get that new G19 for about $425. At your 1 year anniversary, you get a second coupon to grab another. The Gen 4 is proven. I have a 3 year old G23 and G26 with over 20k rounds through each. Neither is showing significant wear signs of failure. As with a Jeep, you just have to maintain them properly.

I, as others have stated, highly recommenced trying a couple other brands prior to getting the Glock. They all have a different feel. I am currently looking at the new CZ P-10 which is about the same size as the G19.

Edit: The new GSSF price for a Gen 4 G19 is $410.

Last edited:

Oreo_penguin536

You mention GSSF. If you are planning on shooting GSSF, go ahead and sign up for a membership, but make sure you go for 2 years or more. By signing up for 2 or more, you will get a coupon that will allow you to go to a blue label, or participating dealer, and get that new G19 for about $425. At your 1 year anniversary, you get a second coupon to grab another. The Gen 4 is proven. I have a 3 year old G23 and G26 with over 20k rounds through each. Neither is showing significant wear signs of failure. As with a Jeep, you just have to maintain them properly.

I, as others have stated, highly recommenced trying a couple other brands prior to getting the Glock. They all have a different feel. I am currently looking at the new CZ P-10 which is about the same size as the G19.

Edit: The new GSSF price for a Gen 4 G19 is $410.

20k rounds?! You replace the guide pin or springs or anything yet?
I might go in today and try the cz p10 just for shits and giggles

Oreo_penguin536

I have owned G1-4 Glocks. My fav is the 4. I’m a big Glock fan and Armorer, but I’m not sold on the Gen5.

I run aftermarket magwell flares, and I do not like the G5 design. I like the finger grooves, but I understand they can cause issues with LARGE hands. I don’t buy the accuracy claims with the barrel. (And it’s a handgun... if your gunfighting beyond 20 yards, get to your rifle!)

I always buy stock sights and replace them. Not a fan of the regular trijicon night sights. There are better stuff out there.

RMR is an option, but there is a considerable learning curve with it.

Keep oil out of your firing pin channel and Replace your recoil spring every 5k rounds or so, and the gun will last a lifetime.

... oh, don’t shoot lead. Keep a jacket on that ammo and you’ll be fine.

My $.02.

What is RMR?

Top Bottom