Gears?

I don't know what you guys are looking at but 4.56 on a 3.8 auto is not good..... With 35's.. That would be good if you had a pentastar auto

You would be in the yellow around 2100rpm at 70,the tranny would be shifting gears every other uphill on the road

Last edited:
sorry not trying to sound like an ass im just confused is all. the rpm ranges are off only slightly so does it really make that big of a difference?

if you are only going 35s and not in any way thinking about running 37s, 4.88s are your best bet. the 37s on a 30 is risky anyways and to add a 5.13 is even riskier (good thing my middle name is DANGER) but it can be done with some success. the trouble with 5.13s on 30, as has been said, is that your R&P is thinner than that of a 4.88 making it slightly weaker. the 4.88 is perfect for what you are looking at, as long as you dont go bigger, and even then you could run 37s on 4.88s, but loose power.

i am not sure that i would throw chromos in my 30 as i am happy with my shafts being the weak part of my axles as they are cheaper and easier to replace. if you make your shafts stronger than your R&P, and use the weakest link theory, then........:confused: not saying it will happen, but things do break! like i said, i am doing something that most say i shouldnt and have been fine so things are possible! i just will not be upgrading my shafts until frank sells me his rubi44 housing :D and i have a bit more thickness.

as in everything, just my opinion...

andrew -

thanks man that is helpful. yea when i heard that the 5.13's were smalling causing it to be weaker i instanly was away from them and down to 4.88's as to what i will get when i upgrade. would you suggest sleeves then to help beef up the 30 a little bit or is it not worth it? i do easy to moderate trails and i like to take care of my baby when we are out wheeling together so i dont see myself doing anything too extreame untill i get a pr44 or even just a standard 44 off a rubi or even just upgrade to a rubi lol

thanks man that is helpful. yea when i heard that the 5.13's were smalling causing it to be weaker i instanly was away from them and down to 4.88's as to what i will get when i upgrade. would you suggest sleeves then to help beef up the 30 a little bit or is it not worth it? i do easy to moderate trails and i like to take care of my baby when we are out wheeling together so i dont see myself doing anything too extreame untill i get a pr44 or even just a standard 44 off a rubi or even just upgrade to a rubi lol

C-gussets only i would say! save that $ and upgrade something else, like your front DS maybe. the sleeve debate is a long one and most think it overkill. bit there again, i have 'em so...

andrew -

C-gussets only i would say! save that $ and upgrade something else, like your front DS maybe. the sleeve debate is a long one and most think it overkill. bit there again, i have 'em so...

andrew -

Oh yea gussets are a must. never knew about doing that untill i read it on here a while back in a thread. only going to do a 2.5" lift and trim the flares so (according to eddies write up) i should be ok with the factory until above 3" lift. yea i will stay away from the sleeves for the time being since im not doing anything hardcore. or i will invest in them as an insurance policy lol who knows! :idontknow:

well good now i got my list!
4.88 gears, 35" tires, C's, and 2.5" lift.

edit - thanks for the help!!!!

no worries. you should be fine then with at only 2.5". that leaves you monies for other things!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

andrew -

What about 4.56?

After all my personal research I have choosen 4:56 for my 2dr, 30/44 X, with a manual tranny. My Duratrac's are closer to 34" than 35".

I feel for daily driving and what I do, 4:56 would be very good. Living where I do, I have to drive a fair amount of freeway just to get to where I'm going to explore.

Top Bottom