Gears vs. Others

Jtmw

So I need some opinions, I'm gonna have some extra cash at the end of the month. Enough to regear, but not put a locker in (Never pulled the trigger when i thought i was going to earlier). But i also had an experience this weekend that was a little rough. Went out riding with a buddy in his rig, got a flat then broke the rear driveshaft, broke the front ring gear, and the guy who tried to help pull us out politely drug his rig into a rock bending his steering linkage into a 90 degree angle. So we had a rough time getting it out. Had to get an 8x8 to drag us out. Terrible day, stuck for about 8 1/2 hours at the park. So that happening I think I'm done wheeling for a little while. So my question is should a in a 2013 JK is regear really worth the 2.2K my local shop quoted me for my DD JK. (Parts included) I also did a pretty horrible job cutting my fenders, gonna get some PSC and just clean things up. I need some opinions! I dont mind the driving style as for now not really bad by any means (gear wise). I am leaning towards cleaning a few things up on the JK, new fenders and invest in a few other pieces of armor before I choose to regear. Let me here some opinions.

$2k for a gear install sounds steep to me. Should cost about $1500 or, if you lived in socal, only $999 through Off Road Evolution.

If you don't have any spare parts or are lacking in needed trail tools, I'd invest there first. The quoted re-gear cost is WAYYY to freaking high and I suggest you keep looking. As far as the fenders, I'd check around on CL for a takeoff set and re-attempt cutting them. Practice makes perfect! :thumb:

$2.2k seems a bit high for just a regear. I'm picking mine up today from a local shop that charged me $1250 total which included tax and master install kits....

ORE is still running their $999 special still, but I couldn't get get back out to SoCal this month or I would have had them done there...

Edit:Eddie must have been reading my mind since he stole my answer and posted it while I was typing.. :)

Last edited:
Yeah I knew Evo was running that deal, BUT being in Nashville I still see there being an issue. :grayno:

There's two places I trust in the area, havent been to the other one to get a quote. I guess I'll start there. But yeah I'm full on tools and spare parts, I could always recut my fenders! Never thought about that!

My local shop wants 1500 with the install kits (only way he will warranty the work fully using what they sell) and he wanted $1500. Another place that only does axles and shafts wanted 1800 which I thought was funny.

$2k for a gear install sounds steep to me. Should cost about $1500 or, if you lived in socal, only $999 through Off Road Evolution.

Addition : I have 3.21 up front so I believe that warrants a new carrier? Correct me if I am wrong. Would that compensate the $500 difference from what seems to be the average price?

Addition : I have 3.21 up front so I believe that warrants a new carrier? Correct me if I am wrong. Would that compensate the $500 difference from what seems to be the average price?
Νo. A new carrier shouldnt cost as much.

A re-gear in the Southwest area, runs about $1200 to &1500. That would include Labor, R&P's, Master Installation Kits, and oil!
Yes, if you are running the 3.21 ratio, then you will need a front carrier, which will be at a additional cost.

Make sure that you use a reputable experienced gear shop for your install.
Also make sure that you get a copy of their warranty in writing!:thumb:

up here in the great white north when i was looking for my jk the dealer had one on the lot with 3.21's and i said id consider taking it if they had 3.73s installed their quote for the install was about 2200 which would have been at their cost. needless to say they kept looking. but i looked at their sheet and how it was quoted when he explained to me why it was so much(i already knew the answer.... it was a dealership) and they said that was average cost for the area. i did notice their overhaul kits were expensive at 350CDN compared to NRcan at 190. so maybe thats where your markup was coming from, partially

Top Bottom