Garmin Map Share

p38

Caught the Bug
Anyone using Garmin Map Share? If so, which device is it paired to? Is it reliable, what are the major complaints?

Thanks

I have it with my inreach mini. I send the url to certain family members when we’re going out on longer trips.

Edit: not sure about complaints… I think it works pretty well from my point of view. Haven’t actually used it from a map viewers pov though.

Reactions: p38

p38

Caught the Bug
I have it with my inreach mini. I send the url to certain family members when we’re going out on longer trips.

Edit: not sure about complaints… I think it works pretty well from my point of view. Haven’t actually used it from a map viewers pov though.
Thanks Mike. I just got off the phone with Garmin Product Support and they walked me through the system. I'm looking at the 66i, I carry a SAT phone with me and it's worked great for comm - either voice or text. There's a Lowrance in my Jeep, that handles nav and mapping. The 66i looks like a good choice for times when I'm on foot.

Thanks Mike. I just got off the phone with Garmin Product Support and they walked me through the system. I'm looking at the 66i, I carry a SAT phone with me and it's worked great for comm - either voice or text. There's a Lowrance in my Jeep, that handles nav and mapping. The 66i looks like a good choice for times when I'm on foot.
Nice! Looks like you’re all set then! 👍

Anyone using Garmin Map Share? If so, which device is it paired to? Is it reliable, what are the major complaints?

Thanks
I have a Montana 700i. It has worked well for InReach tracking and share. I do use it for hiking as well, but it is a bit large. I found a radio pouch $12 on Amazon) which works well to attach it to my belt and I use it every day.

The monthly cost is quite reasonable once you realize that sending pre-set messages is free and the middle-sized plan (what I have) allows for unlimited InReach tracking. The lowest plan is useful if you primarily plan to use only for messaging/emergency.

I use 67 Designs hardware to mount the Garmin and it has worked great. The suction-cup mount that Garmin sells use an AMPS-plate as part of it's construction so you can disassemble part of it and use the 67 Designs AMPS-plate adapter. The suction cup mount includes a speaker and uses micro-USB to get it's power.

While the GPS seems to work good (and the touch-screen is nice), Garmin is rather poor with their supportive software which runs on PC or on a website in the cloud. The documentation is very terse and leaves much to your imagination and trial/error. Once you are familiar with the GPS, it is easy to use.

The Montana 700i series can be used for turn by turn navigation with voice prompting (using the mount that Garmin sells) like the GPSs they sell for street navigation, but be aware that it is slow to calculate routes and the screen is a bit dimmer than one would like inside the vehicle. However the screen works really good with bright light so if you take the top off it should be plenty readable in the sun.

The bundled maps that came with the 700i are really good, including for dirt roads such as forest roads and ranch roads, but I also bought the topo maps.

The 66i has a smaller and more robust screen and uses buttons rather than a touch screen so it should be better in cold weather. It should be more comfortable carrying it in your hand. While it can save your ass it is not so good for in your vehicle as the Montana is.

Top Bottom