Front U-joint broken, replacement suggestions.

Onefin

I broke my drivers side u-joint while running black bear pass with the swaybar still connected.
Stupid, sure.......but here I am.
If local dealer will magically cover under warranty, that's choice #1

If not, what recommendations do you have for a replacement?
If think RCV is out of my budget at this point.
I will be having a shop,do,the work.
Spicer? Or?
2015 JKUR with 3.5 and 35". No upgrades to front axle.
image.jpg

I can't get the image to rotate.

Same thing happened to me while under warranty. At the time with 35's. Repaired for no charge by dealership. They probably will just replace your whole axle shaft if they decide to fix it.

Yeah try the dealer first. Might get lucky like moochie. If not then some chromoly shafts would be a great idea (plenty of good recommendations on here), if budget is a thing then get a spicer u joint from the auto parts store and diy. I replaced mine myself because they needed it and I wanted to learn how to replace a u joint if needed on the trail. I would suggest learning the process anyway since you're using your jeep.

If it's covered at the dealer that would be your best bet. I just replaced mine recently with an inexpensive grease-able U-joint from the local auto parts store; I think it was about $16 to do it myself. Unless you have the money to upgrade to cromoly or better shafts now, I'd go inexpensive and hands on. I had some trouble getting my old one out, but putting the new one in really isn't that bad. There's a write-up on here somewhere for it...

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...-Clips-onto-a-Chromoly-Front-Axle-Shaft-VIDEO

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?401-Axle-Shaft-U-Joint-Replacement

Last edited:
Go with non greasable Spicer, those grease nipples are a good idea but they are also a weak point
full circle clips

I would definitely use spicer sealed u joints if your choose just to replace the U joint. If you choose a chromoly shaft I recommend Carbon Offroad shafts. They come already assemblied. I know some friends who had to put the U joints in their shafts when they got them. And consider some ten factory outer seals

Headed to dealer tomorrow via jeep roadside assistance.
Dealer feels this "should" be covered under warranty and they will need to order parts.
Regardless of whether it's covered under warranty, I'll view this as a wake up call to order a spare to keep in the jeep, and I need to learn how to change one with the tools i need to carry to get it done.
I think I just got complacent because I can literally see black bear pass from my window.
Close to home equals false sense of security.
Lessons learned.
I'll look into upgrades for the future.
Thanks all for the advice and info

Well, I was feeling bad for you until you said, " I can literally see Black Bear pass from my window". Now, not so much. [emoji1]

Where/how did you break it on this trail?
One of the switchbacks going tight?
Thanks for the insight
:beer:

Headed to dealer tomorrow via jeep roadside assistance.
Dealer feels this "should" be covered under warranty and they will need to order parts.
Regardless of whether it's covered under warranty, I'll view this as a wake up call to order a spare to keep in the jeep, and I need to learn how to change one with the tools i need to carry to get it done.
I think I just got complacent because I can literally see black bear pass from my window.
Close to home equals false sense of security.
Lessons learned.
I'll look into upgrades for the future.
Thanks all for the advice and info

Where/how did you break it on this trail?
One of the switchbacks going tight?
Thanks for the insight
:beer:

Yup. Switchbacks.
Swaybar was connected.
Lockers not engaged.
Left hand switchback cutting tight and it whimpered, then popped on next left hand turn.
i just had the swaybar and the actuator replaced under warranty and thought it may have been something there.
Didn't have the swaybar disconnected (stupid) because I was afraid that was going to break again, so I broke the u-joint instead.
Live and learn.
I hope the dealer fixes it and then when it breaks again I'll look into spending money on an upgrade.
Cheapest upgrade is learning from expierence.
I probably should take some donuts or beer or something to the service guys at dealership? So they don't get sick of me breaking shit and them fixing it under warranty?
Jeep only has 3,200 miles on it, so that's lots of opportunity during the warranty period to break more stuff.
By the end of warranty period I'd better be on top of fixing more crap myself...and maybe I'll have a garage by then?

Gotcha! Crazy break out there.

Yup. Switchbacks.
Swaybar was connected.
Lockers not engaged.
Left hand switchback cutting tight and it whimpered, then popped on next left hand turn.
i just had the swaybar and the actuator replaced under warranty and thought it may have been something there.
Didn't have the swaybar disconnected (stupid) because I was afraid that was going to break again, so I broke the u-joint instead.
Live and learn.
I hope the dealer fixes it and then when it breaks again I'll look into spending money on an upgrade.
Cheapest upgrade is learning from expierence.
I probably should take some donuts or beer or something to the service guys at dealership? So they don't get sick of me breaking shit and them fixing it under warranty?
Jeep only has 3,200 miles on it, so that's lots of opportunity during the warranty period to break more stuff.
By the end of warranty period I'd better be on top of fixing more crap myself...and maybe I'll have a garage by then?

Was it a hard turn while in 4wd? Could have been too much strain.

I see where no locker, and I dont see what the swaybar would have affected in this case.

just curiously, how many miles were on that ujoint? and were the joints ever submerged in water and if so, how often? for reference.

edit:just noticed the mileage on previous post, sorry.

Last edited:
RCV's are some of the best shafts money can buy hands down but they don't break. If I'm gonna break something on the trail id rather it be a u-joint than a ring gear or case. When the warranty is up but a good set of chromo's as mentioned above and learn how to replace the u-joint!

Just go rcv and never worry again

Until you twist the splines and/or they start to click and pop obnoxiously, and when you talk to RCV about it, those symptoms are "completely normal". Ridiculously overpriced for a company who isn't willing to stand behind their products in my opinion.

Until you twist the splines and/or they start to click and pop obnoxiously, and when you talk to RCV about it, those symptoms are "completely normal". Ridiculously overpriced for a company who isn't willing to stand behind their products in my opinion.

Twisted splines will happen in all shafts so long as it goes back in I dont really blame them for not wanting to replace it. I will say I have a buddy in a 4cly TJ on 37s break a couple 44rcvs and they were replaced everytime. Another buddy with a 650HP JK on 43s snapped his 4340 shaft in his d60 and RCV warranted it and let him go to 300m with paying the price difference of the two. Granted I will say it has taken way too long for this new shaft to show up but from what I understand all 300m shafts are built to order and take forever.

Twisted splines will happen in all shafts so long as it goes back in I dont really blame them for not wanting to replace it. I will say I have a buddy in a 4cly TJ on 37s break a couple 44rcvs and they were replaced everytime. Another buddy with a 650HP JK on 43s snapped his 4340 shaft in his d60 and RCV warranted it and let him go to 300m with paying the price difference of the two. Granted I will say it has taken way too long for this new shaft to show up but from what I understand all 300m shafts are built to order and take forever.

That's, what bothers me, I hear accounts like thid of RCV's where people have nothing but good things to say. But then i see about as many accounts where people have issues with warranties. Personally i couldnt pay the extra premium with that maby hit or miss accounts. But then again we all have different ideas of what the best products for our Jeeps are.

Top Bottom