Front seal leak?

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Dripping from the bottom of my knuckle. I'm guessing it's coming from the axle seal, that usually what leaks in this area? 20190730_193845.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jsouder53

Hooked
Hard to do? Should I just let a shop take of it or should I tackle it?

It wasn’t terrible to do but I would possibly get a quote to do it just to see what a shop would charge. If you want to give it a try I would make sure to have 2 sets of seals on hand. I accidentally messed up one seal and had to order a new set online and had to wait till the following weekend to finish the project.

Last edited:

cpefy3

I replaced them a couple of times on the Dana 30 in my XJ. Just like any job, having the right tools helps. I purchased this Yukon Seal installation tool (https://www.amazon.com/Yukon-Gear-A...1&s=gateway&sprefix=yukon+seal,aps,121&sr=8-3) so I was able to do it by myself. My review of the tool is under Collin E.
3 points of caution are:
1.) Make sure the seal starts off straight
2.) Use Spicer Axle seals
3.) When re-installing the axle shafts, do not let them slide on the bottom of the axle tubes as this may dislodge the seals (support them on the inside of the knuckle with your other hand). Best of luck!!

Edwrds

Caught the Bug
I replaced them a couple of times on the Dana 30 in my XJ. Just like any job, having the right tools helps. I purchased this Yukon Seal installation tool (https://www.amazon.com/Yukon-Gear-A...1&s=gateway&sprefix=yukon+seal,aps,121&sr=8-3) so I was able to do it by myself. My review of the tool is under Collin E.
3 points of caution are:
1.) Make sure the seal starts off straight
2.) Use Spicer Axle seals
3.) When re-installing the axle shafts, do not let them slide on the bottom of the axle tubes as this may dislodge the seals (support them on the inside of the knuckle with your other hand). Best of luck!!

My brother in-law used a long piece of all thread and a large socket the same size of the seal to press his seals in.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

cpefy3

My brother in-law used a long piece of all thread and a large socket the same size of the seal to press his seals in.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I was going to go this route; but for the long side of the axle it would be hard to hold the socket in place (to prevent driving the seal in crooked) and tap the all thread without a second set of hands. Either way, its definitely a doable job. Best of luck!!

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the tips. I might just take this opportunity to just upgrade both shafts.

cpefy3

Thanks for the tips. I might just take this opportunity to just upgrade both shafts.

Good call. One more thing, make sure to note the orientation of the bearing caps as they must be placed the exact same way during re-installation. On my axle the caps and housing are stamped with a corresponding letter vertical on the left cap/housing and horizontal on the right cap/housing. Also, make sure these are torqued to the spec of your axle.

Good2Go

Mine Too

B3613260-BB28-4107-8DE7-AAE257503899.jpg

I just found my passenger side axle seal is leaking. I was able to move the “dust cover” for the axle tube back in place and when I drove it there was no new oil, but it still means I have a bad inner seal that needs to be replaced. Correct?

Thanks in advance!

cpefy3

The portion of the inner axle seal that "holds" around the axle shaft is like a spring. Over time these slowly stretch and aren't able to hold out the gear oil from the differential. I would also check that the differential wasn't overfilled. If it wasn't overfilled, the leak will get progressively worse as that seal continues to stretch.

Top Bottom