Front diff skid

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
Could anyone share some feedback on front diff skids OTHER than the Rancho? Don't get me wrong...the Rancho more than paid for itself. My only problem with it is the U-bolt set up they use. I was always concerned about it and had posted questions regarding it months ago. If the front get's hit hard enough to bend it...which it will, the u-bolt can push off the diff and than ride on either the drive shaft or in my case the seal shield.
I need another skid and was looking at the Rough Country. It is like $50 less than Ranch which right there gives me pause. Might not be as strong. Any suggestions or experiences.

Elroy231

I would steer clear of rough country. As Ddays mentioned, put something stronger on. Going from Rancho to Rc is peddling backwards.
Check out Genright, Evo, poison spider, Jks and Jcr offroad for something. Im sure there's more options than that but these brands are known for manufacturing quality products.

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
I would steer clear of rough country. As Ddays mentioned, put something stronger on. Going from Rancho to Rc is peddling backwards.
Check out Genright, Evo, poison spider, Jks and Jcr offroad for something. Im sure there's more options than that but these brands are known for manufacturing quality products.
I will heed the advice on RC. Thanks for heads up.

Bear_JT

Hooked
Are you putting the diff skid to protect the cover or the drain bolt in the bottom of the diff? I have the Rancho myself. I put it to protect the drain bolt more than anything else.

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
Are you putting the diff skid to protect the cover or the drain bolt in the bottom of the diff? I have the Rancho myself. I put it to protect the drain bolt more than anything else.
Primarily the drain bolt. The Rancho does protect the cover as well. It is very beefy. It is that U bolt that I don't like.

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
Next venture motorsports looks like the best option to me but they are very expensive
You are right...looks very beefy, no u bolt and yes pricey. States on their site that it does not fit with Spicer cover because of fins. Figures...that is the one I have:cautious:

jeeeep

Hooked
can you replace the u-bolt with a metal strap?
I've been thinking about it as well but not a priority since I've been more on road than off-road :mad:

CalSgt

Hooked
You are right...looks very beefy, no u bolt and yes pricey. States on their site that it does not fit with Spicer cover because of fins. Figures...that is the one I have:cautious:
Spicer covers here too... My dad freaked out when he saw the way the diff housings are cast with the big lip hanging down & insisted I put skids on. I agreed but the next venture was the only one I liked & I dont want to spend that kind of money on diff skids and another set of covers.

Top Bottom