Front after market pinion flange torque

JeepJeep75

That is what we did, my friend had this
View attachment 207361
And a wrench similar to the yoke wrench shown above. We measured the rotational torque before doing anything, then disassembled everything. We changed the pinion seals just because we were there. Then we installed the new yokes and started tightening until we were just above the rotational torque where we started. I will say I bet we were at every bit of 160ft pounds tight though, I had my 24" breaker bar on the pinion nut turning it a little at each check. With the right tools it was a very simple process I would not be afraid to do by myself next time. But I am glad my friend helped me do this and I didn't just torque it down, that would have bothered me since I am too anal about torquing every single thing to specs.

I'm right there with you about the analasity of tightening to proper torque specs. I love that Snap-on inch pound wrench your friend has. Those Snap-on wrenches are not cheap!! I plan on getting a CDI digital torque wrench that'll go up to 250 foot pounds to replace my cheapie no name 150 pounder.

JKbrick

Yes, I love good quality tools. It's a good thing the office lady that pays my invoices doesn't know you don't need torque wrenches and other tools I buy to do plumbing! Anyways I am on the lookout for a wrench like the one pictured now so I can help other people with this process now that I've seen it done. Always nice to know how to do more things yourself

Top Bottom