Freaking Hawaii Recon Inspection!

kevinp

Went to have my Recon inspection done today. I've put it off for two years, but they changed the safety inspections, making it harder to get away with. Why am I miffed? Because the bottom couple of MILLIMETERS, literally, of my WAYALIFE windshield sticker was visible from the inside, so he told me to "trim it up." That made it look stupid, so I removed it. Gotta order another one.

Sincerely,
Kevin

From my Samsung GS4

StrizzyChris

Which Island? I know you can go to a shady shop and theyll pass your inspection without even looking at the rig...thats how we got a POS toyota "legal" when I was living in HI

Rccrwlr

Went to have my Recon inspection done today. I've put it off for two years, but they changed the safety inspections, making it harder to get away with. Why am I miffed? Because the bottom couple of MILLIMETERS, literally, of my WAYALIFE windshield sticker was visible from the inside, so he told me to "trim it up." That made it look stupid, so I removed it. Gotta order another one.

Sincerely,
Kevin

From my Samsung GS4

Was thinking of getting a rear fender decal for the front windshield. It's a bit smaller

kevinp

Recon, or "reconstruction" inspections, is basically an extension of the safety inspection program. Originally designed for those vehicles that were totaled or seriously damaged in accidents and required substantial reconstruction, the inspection insures the vehicle is safe for operation on the road. The program extended to cover vehicles that have been raised or lowered with suspension modifications, and can even apply to vehicles with tire sizes that are significantly different than stock (as an example, the Toyota MR2 I owned for years in Texas would have required a recon inspection in Hawaii because I went from 16" rims to 18" rims and lopro tires). It sucks. Oahu is the only island that does it. It used to be as simple as ignoring it, but the state recently gave the safety inspection program a revamp, in which they now use tablets to photograph vehicles and incorporated other changes making recon much harder to avoid. It's a money thing, IMO.

jbaskin28

Which Island? I know you can go to a shady shop and theyll pass your inspection without even looking at the rig...thats how we got a POS toyota "legal" when I was living in HI

Got to be Oahu, and I feel KevinP's pain on this, as I have to go through BOTH RECON and SAFETY when I get back to the Island. Oahu is the ONLY island that still has a Recon requirement in place. And the Safety inspections are getting harder. They started installing digital upload stations in every safety inspection station now. Basically, the inspector has a camera, takes pictures of the vehicle, and uploads them to a database. The inspection gets "approved" and new inspection stickers get printed. Later, a state official pulls up your vehicle to QC the inspection, and (from my guess and what I understand of the new system) can void your safety. It's complete BS and is definitely a way for Hawaii to make MORE money off of those that live there.

Personally, I'm glad I am going to Florida next week so I can register my Jeep there. Mainly so I have a valid registration, as required, for Recon and Safety.

On a side note, how picky are they with stickers on the front windshield? I have a KCCO sticker on the right/passenger side of the jeep window. And a NRA sticker on the same side, above it. As seen in the picture below.

971288_602195709805328_1179633003_n.jpg

@ kevinp, if you haven't already, look up the Oahu Jeeps group on FB, if you are not already on there.

kevinp

If the sticker is visible from inside the Jeep, they'll gig it. My WAYALIFE sticker was literally down far enough that the bottom 2mm of each letter was showing from inside. I got a no go. It's freaking ridiculous.

Trying to get back today. We'll see.

Sincerely,
Kevin

From my Samsung GS4

StrizzyChris

It's complete BS and is definitely a way for Hawaii to make MORE money off of those that live there.

Yeah, they didnt have all that techy stuff on the big island....just grease a hand and your registered! I will say that HI pissed me off beyond belief the whole time I was there with their push for gun legislation and owner registration lines out the door every day! I felt like I went from Commifornia to the same thing in the middle of the pacific! :grayno:

kevinp

I will say my alignment was.... handled nicely. Haha At least there was that.

Sincerely,
Kevin

From my Samsung GS4

DA RUNT

Howzit Kevin? Eh brah, take da bagguh to the motorcycle shop around the corner from 4 Wheel Parts. Skullyz i think is the name.

kevinp

Hey!! How are you?

I'm good now. Scotty's straightened me out. Haha

Sincerely,
Kevin

From my Samsung GS4

DA RUNT

Doing good, i'm playing in the Afghan snow right now. I'll be home end of the year. What ya been up to?

kevinp

Doing good, i'm playing in the Afghan snow right now. I'll be home end of the year. What ya been up to?

I've been doing great! Since the doc finally released me, I've started running like a crazy person. Did the Great Aloha Run for my first ever formal event (except a 10-miler in Baghdad, which doesn't count, since it was all military haha). I am signed up for the Hapalua. I'm pretty stoked about that! :) Ginger is doing okay. She has a bulging disc in her lower back that is causing a lot of pain, but the doc gave her some good medicine to get it under control. She still has to be careful, but otherwise, she's much better than she was a couple of weeks ago!

Stay safe over there! And stay in touch! I hope Malia is doing well.
Kevin

(BTW, I tried to send this via PM, but it says you need to clean out some space! LOL)

Top Bottom