Ford Superduty Engines

Jsouder53

Hooked
Hey everyone,

In the next several months, I’m hoping to be in a new truck, preferably an F250 since I’ve always had an F250. I’m not up on the new engines they have out and have no idea which one would be the best to go with. This would be a daily driver with about an 80ish mile round trip commute. I will not be towing very often.

-I like the sound of the new 7.3 Godzilla they have out.

-I know the 6.7 powerstroke might offer better mpg and longer lifespan. (Never owned a diesel)

-The 6.2 has been around for 10 years, which might offer better reliability.

Whoever has some insight on the newer f250 engines, please share. Thanks!

WJCO

Meme King
Spend some time really seeing how a diesel does in the colder weather. When I had my old 7.3, it was a pain in the ass in the winter to start and dealt with fuel gelling.

MericaMade

The 6.7 Scorpion is the only engine and truck I would buy if I was looking at F250 class. Its a great truck and the transmission from what I have seen holds more power then the Allison but works very similar.

When the 2011s rolled out they did some pretty intense testing on the motor and trans which shifted me from GM to Ford guy ever since.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Buy a Ram and be done with it. There’s a reason they’ve won heavy duty truck if the year three years straight.

if you plan on keeping it for a long time, I’d get a diesel. Just in the winter months, you need to plug the block heater in

JT@623

Hooked
Look around at what all the hotshot drivers use the majority are ram . I’ve had both the the ford and now the ram . The 6.7 ford is a good engine tows great the Cummins just does it better . There’s a reason over the road trucks still run inline 6’s .
6 in a row built to tow if its in a V you sit to pee .

Why a 250 if you never tow? Get a 150 with ecoboost and enjoy the nice ride of an ifs and 20+ mpg.
IFS? Sacrilege!

I'd go with the 6.7, know plenty of guys that run them up here in the snow without issue and don't need to be plugged in. Some do just because they like to pamper their trucks and warm up quicker. But yeah if you don't need the tow honestly the 150s aren't bad trucks either, capable when they need to be.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
IFS? Sacrilege!

I'd go with the 6.7, know plenty of guys that run them up here in the snow without issue and don't need to be plugged in. Some do just because they like to pamper their trucks and warm up quicker. But yeah if you don't need the tow honestly the 150s aren't bad trucks either, capable when they need to be.
The new 150 will tow the same as an old 7.3 (on paper or close to it) and ride way better. Lots of people think they need more truck than they do.

Just like people think they fill out more of the condom than they do.

The new 150 will tow the same as an old 7.3 (on paper or close to it) and ride way better. Lots of people think they need more truck than they do.

Just like people think they fill out more of the condom than they do.
Careful sir... you're on a jeep site saying don't go overboard and buy IFS ....its literally what we do lmao

The only thing I truly hate about the 150s is the god damn ceramic spark plugs, who the hell needed to reinvent the wheel in a way that you fuck up so much they built special tools to get your shitty design out without having to remove a head (FOR A SPARKPLUG!! 😡 ), like seriously wtf. Otherwise, plenty of truck 🤷‍♂️

Jsouder53

Hooked
Spend some time really seeing how a diesel does in the colder weather. When I had my old 7.3, it was a pain in the ass in the winter to start and dealt with fuel gelling.
That was part of my concern being in Montana, although I would make sure it’s plugged in just like I do with my Jeep.

The 6.7 Scorpion is the only engine and truck I would buy if I was looking at F250 class. Its a great truck and the transmission from what I have seen holds more power then the Allison but works very similar.

When the 2011s rolled out they did some pretty intense testing on the motor and trans which shifted me from GM to Ford guy ever sinc

that’s good to hear!
Buy a Ram and be done with it. There’s a reason they’ve won heavy duty truck if the year three years straight.

if you plan on keeping it for a long time, I’d get a diesel. Just in the winter months, you need to plug the block heater in
I like what I hear about the cummins engine, but I’ve never been sold on the body styles.
Look around at what all the hotshot drivers use the majority are ram . I’ve had both the the ford and now the ram . The 6.7 ford is a good engine tows great the Cummins just does it better . There’s a reason over the road trucks still run inline 6’s .
6 in a row built to tow if its in a V you sit to pee .
Lol I like that saying. It’s not going to be a truck that tows often, primarily need the truck bed space.

Why a 250 if you never tow? Get a 150 with ecoboost and enjoy the nice ride of an ifs and 20+ mpg.
I like the 250 for the amount of truck bed space, I also like the roomier cab. Plus the 150 is not much cheaper than the 250, I’ll look closer but I believe they are priced very similar.

Bierpower

Hooked
I like the 250 for the amount of truck bed space, I also like the roomier cab. Plus the 150 is not much cheaper than the 250, I’ll look closer but I believe they are priced very similar.
Fun fact. I believe it was 2017 when they started using the same cab on the F-150 and super duty. They have different hoods and fenders but cab space should be essentially the same.

Last edited:

Jsouder53

Hooked
Fun fact. I believe it was 2017 when they started using the same cab on the F-150 and super duty. They have different hoods and fenders but cab space should be essentially the same.
I’ll look into that. I was recently in a new f150 and it didn’t feel as large as my 01 F250.

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
I’ll look into that. I was recently in a new f150 and it didn’t feel as large as my 01 F250.
The new aluminum cabs are significantly larger than the older SD cabs.

There is no concern in the cold with the 6.7 or any of the diesels themselves. The concern is with the fuel geling in the cold.

If you want a HD for the shits and giggles just on the road, no towing, one of the GM twins with ifs even though they are the shittiest interiors right now.

Stickers may be close-ish on 1/2 ton to 3/4 right now, but good luck finding an HD nevermind with a rebate.

Ram 1500s are hard to beat top interior quality, smooth 8 speed, coil sprung rear,….

Ddays

Hooked
Just traded my 17 250HD gas in on a 20 Ram 3500 HD. If you spend a lot of time driving the Ram has the better interior now. As mentioned, cabs are the same on 150 & 250 now. The ride in the 250 sucked. The ride in the Ram is actually much better. I've always been a Ford guy but these Rams are pretty nice. If you aren't towing too much or too often, the 6.2 gas was a nice engine. Towed the Jeep on a 26' gooseneck ok but kept throwing multiple cylinder misfire codes. If the engine light wouldn't have come on I would have never known anything was going on because it did just fine - even went through Colorado this Summer. Wife on the other hand, had zero issues towing her 28' aluminum horse trailer setup. She towed more than i did. Diesel requires more upkeep and its much more expensive at oil change time. Add in the DEF costs too. Honestly the gas might be the better choice.

If you have a trade you'll be amazed at what you get if it's in good shape. Be prepared to drive to get what you want though. I had to expand my search to a 400 mile radius to find options looking for my Ram. Found one in Indiana which was a 7 hour drive.

Jsouder53

Hooked
Just traded my 17 250HD gas in on a 20 Ram 3500 HD. If you spend a lot of time driving the Ram has the better interior now. As mentioned, cabs are the same on 150 & 250 now. The ride in the 250 sucked. The ride in the Ram is actually much better. I've always been a Ford guy but these Rams are pretty nice. If you aren't towing too much or too often, the 6.2 gas was a nice engine. Towed the Jeep on a 26' gooseneck ok but kept throwing multiple cylinder misfire codes. If the engine light wouldn't have come on I would have never known anything was going on because it did just fine - even went through Colorado this Summer. Wife on the other hand, had zero issues towing her 28' aluminum horse trailer setup. She towed more than i did. Diesel requires more upkeep and its much more expensive at oil change time. Add in the DEF costs too. Honestly the gas might be the better choice.

If you have a trade you'll be amazed at what you get if it's in good shape. Be prepared to drive to get what you want though. I had to expand my search to a 400 mile radius to find options looking for my Ram. Found one in Indiana which was a 7 hour drive.
Thank you for the insight, I’ll probably cross the diesel option out.

My trade won’t be worth anything 😂. 01 F250 with a triton 5.4 with 210,000 miles. Leaky rear main seal and the driver’s door is beat up from a tree. I’ll try and sell it first.

With everyone’s comments, I’ll be considering a Ram lol this purchase will be next spring/summer.

Jsouder53

Hooked
I might be the only weirdo here that thinks this is a horrible idea. A new truck just to put commute miles on? Keep rocking the old girl or get a little car for that.
With my work, I just need a truck. A newer one because of the clients I am working with, it needs to look clean and free of body damage and oil leaks (I would hate to leave oil stains on their driveways).

I’m worried the old girl could leave me stranded in the Gallatin Canyon without cell reception.

wjtstudios

Hooked
With my work, I just need a truck. A newer one because of the clients I am working with, it needs to look clean and free of body damage and oil leaks (I would hate to leave oil stains on their driveways).

I’m worried the old girl could leave me stranded in the Gallatin Canyon without cell reception.
That is a good point if you are starting up your new company. First impressions are everything and that can be as simple as the vehicle that you pull into their driveway in. The towing capacity of the 1500s are almost as high as the 2500s were a few years ago. If you are not planning on towing the Jeep long distances, it might be a better option

Andy5160

Hooked

Did you get a dually 3500?

Top Bottom