For those of you experiencing ‘death wobble’!

View attachment 341020

Here you are. I had taken this but didn't post. Answer to your question...yes. Taking picture from above looking down at axle housing

Looks like there actually is a washer there on my jku. Never noticed it when I changed my track bar. Must be permanently smooshed against the bracket. Be curious to see if this washer is actually a variable in wobble for you OP. May you drive wobble free[emoji120]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
I know you said you torqued it when you installed it the first time but when you took it off to put the washer on was it easy to back out the nut?

Sent from my SM-G975U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yes it was.
And to further elaborate...like I said in 1st post...I was having a hard time getting nut started with washer. So when I removed it after torqueing without washer, I took the bolt and flange nut in hand and tried both ways to thread it in. I was curious as to why washer needed. Also the nut is a crush nut. But...the 'crushed' part is on side of flange. Bolt does not want to start on flange side. Threads right in on opposite side. Hope your following. Kind of hard to type it, but me thinks you get it.

Last edited:

MericaMade

I got you. It sounds like they welded the bolt upside down to the flag wrong. Regardless, I don't see how a washer would make the difference of the death wobble going away.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
They do flag nuts like shown and they do them like this IMG_9253.JPG

It’s the same thing. No difference.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

jeeeep

Hooked
I got you. It sounds like they welded the bolt upside down to the flag wrong. Regardless, I don't see how a washer would make the difference of the death wobble going away.

if the bolt has a shoulder that's too wide, it would not allow ample clamping force even at torque and would allow movement.

The washer in place would take up enough of the gap to have adequate clamping force.

Top Bottom