First Time on the Rubicon with Our Gladiator

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great pics, I'm jealous of all the great areas so close to you to wheel.

Thanks to the COVID lockdown and then all the vids on youtoob people are out everywhere and I think they flushed their common sense and courtesy along with all their horded toilet paper.

P.S. Time to start a youtoob page just for Ms. Ripley, she has the talent.....
Glad you liked the pics and we do live here for a reason. As far as Ripley goes, we're happy to hear you enjoy seeing her too :)
Great pictures, it looks like you had a fantastic trip. While I have been to Tahoe many times its never been with my Jeep. I am going to make a serious effort to get out and spend a couple days on the trail. The scenery is unbelievable.

Thanks for posting those pictures.
Thank you, we did have a great trip. With any luck, we'll get to wheel with you when you do make it out this way (y)
Eddie how much lift did you end up with on your JT, I can't remember if it was said in the video after it was done
At the moment, we have it set to about 4.5" of lift.
Those were some awesome pics. Love these trip reports and thanks for sharing.
Happy to hear you liked what you saw :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What happened to your awning?...or did I just imagine that...
Awning? Sorry, never had one :D
Outstanding photos, just the way I like them. The photos tell the story and your excellent tale of the adventure just enhances it all the more.

Thank you for taking us on the trail with you, it is one trail on my bucket list.

BTW, I love the photos of Ripley as well, so photogenic.
Thank you. It's a must do trail for sure. Also, glad you enjoy seeing Ripley :)
Fantastic pictures as usual and a great writeup!

And I'll throw my name onto the list of people who can't stand SXS. Always seems to be the "hold my PBR and watch this" crowed that owns them.
It's a frustrating thing as not all are bad. Guys who were into Jeeps or the like before getting into them are fine, it's just the new to off road in general types that I have a hard time with and unfortunately, that's most of them these days.
Thanks for sharing. It looks like it was a great time. Hard to believe it's been 5 years since Lisa and I ran it with you guys. BTW what's up with the Deep Cherry JKU's busting up their rear driveshafts...haha.
Wow, 5 years... damn, time flies!

jesse3638

Hooked
Awning? Sorry, never had one :D

Thank you. It's a must do trail for sure. Also, glad you enjoy seeing Ripley :)

It's a frustrating thing as not all are bad. Guys who were into Jeeps or the like before getting into them are fine, it's just the new to off road in general types that I have a hard time with and unfortunately, that's most of them these days.

Wow, 5 years... damn, time flies!
I know and still no video...haha. Maybe I can get the raw footage from you and I'll put together a Westcoast Rubi run... :crazyeyes:

Dale72

Hooked
Glad you liked the pics and we do live here for a reason. As far as Ripley goes, we're happy to hear you enjoy seeing her too :)

Thank you, we did have a great trip. With any luck, we'll get to wheel with you when you do make it out this way (y)

At the moment, we have it set to about 4.5" of lift.

Happy to hear you liked what you saw :)
OK thanks. 4.5 is about where I want mine at. I doubt I'll go with the DTD but I'm leaning towards the 4.5 fusion from EVO, but that's still a few years away

Bullwinckle

Hooked
Finally caught myself up with this thread. It looked like a great weekend to be out on the Rubicon! Awesome seeing the Gladiators take on the Rubicon. :cool:

DManuel

Wonderful write-up, gorgeous images, beautiful weather and Ripley is simply adorable! Thanks for sharing. It’s been a few years since we last ran the trail. Makes me want to get another one on the calendar. Hope you and Cindy are doing great!

BeerGuzzler

Just before pulling into the first set of campsites at Buck Island Lake, there's a V-notch that can give you some grief. Turns out the SXS were having a hell of a time climbing it and that's what boogered everything up and what got other rigs going around them making things worse. Anyway, here's a few shots of us coming down it.
20210719130929-8adb236b-me.jpg

20210719131007-33f8f2dd-me.jpg

20210719131105-3f2af576-me.jpg

Finally! There were times when I thought we'd never get here.
20210719131137-b84995c4-me.jpg

Looking nice and full. It's been a while since I've seen it like this.
20210719131153-62a93346-me.jpg

This is where a long wheel base can really shine.
20210719131209-ce0efce6-me.jpg

20210719131228-f9990b03-me.jpg

20210719131243-3ef85e2d-me.jpg

On the climb out from the dam area, we ran into another group of Jeeps and one of which had a break they were trying to fix. Fortunately, they had good trail etiquette and made sure to clear the way before breaking out the wrenches. That allowed us to motor through without any dealy.
20210719131259-79ba6afd-me.jpg

20210719131325-4ea4c566-me.jpg

20210719131348-d9d31247-me.jpg

For those of you who know the trail, just as you leave Buck Island Lake, there's a big ass boulder that you have to wiggle around and on some years, it can be a real challenge. Well, as you can see from the drill below, that boulder may no longer be there after this post. Crews were actively working on taking it apart.
20210719131506-e9b8edc3-me.jpg

Working our way down the Big Sluice.
20210719131549-7a4da144-me.jpg

Jarod's Bronco squeezing by what we had to climb.
20210719131629-82130e1a-me.jpg

20210719131638-0606e07c-me.jpg

This used to be a really tough spot along the Big Sluice, super tight and enough so that I typically had to go around the tree that once stood there and descend really big rocks instead. Well, the tree has been felled and it's no problem now.
20210719131705-c158d2bd-me.jpg

20210719131737-4ee8993f-me.jpg

20210719131752-c042a1a6-me.jpg

As much as this may look like a gratuitous flex shot, I can assure you that it is not. The rocks on the Big Sluice always move and at the time of this run, this big boulder decided to sit right in the middle of the trail.
20210719131813-c04fb972-me.jpg

20210719131833-7b55ab89-me.jpg

Of course, the Bronco slipped by but Mel decided to take on the other boulder.
20210719131845-33ead51b-me.jpg

Flexing out like he's Moby.
20210719131952-fc212cf4-me.jpg

After clearing yet another jam on the trail, we hurried down the Bastard section and made our way to the bridge as quickly as we could. Before we got stuck again.
20210719132208-d0ab22c2-me.jpg

20210719132324-338e01de-me.jpg

20210719132338-bca0d109-me.jpg

20210719132407-8bdd1b7c-me.jpg

20210719132441-6ce6bf9c-me.jpg

Home for the night!
20210719134704-d29921d9-me.jpg

Now this... this is what Ripley has been waiting for!
20210719134546-5a780662-me.jpg

20210719134559-be007276-me.jpg
Absolutely love your guys post, pics and videos. Thank you for doing all that you do. And yes, SxS suck!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I know and still no video...haha. Maybe I can get the raw footage from you and I'll put together a Westcoast Rubi run... :crazyeyes:
:ROFLMAO: LOL - way too funny!! (y)
Finally caught myself up with this thread. It looked like a great weekend to be out on the Rubicon! Awesome seeing the Gladiators take on the Rubicon. :cool:
Weather was perfect and it's always a great time with friends for sure. :)
Wonderful write-up, gorgeous images, beautiful weather and Ripley is simply adorable! Thanks for sharing. It’s been a few years since we last ran the trail. Makes me want to get another one on the calendar. Hope you and Cindy are doing great!
Hey Dave, good to hear from you. It'd be great to have you and Laura join us out there again if you can. Please say hello to her for us and :cool:
Absolutely love your guys post, pics and videos. Thank you for doing all that you do. And yes, SxS suck!
Thank you, so glad you enjoy them :)

jeeeep

Hooked
that was great! feels like 100 years since I've been on the Rubicon and would like to run it again in the near future.
SxS suck no matter where they go, no etiquette and only one speed-- fucktard ... not a fan lol

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug

LOL - yes, I did drive Mel's Gladiator and have to say, if it were available at the time, I probably would have gotten mine with a diesel. The thing has torque like no tomorrow and going up steep inclines felt like I was on tracks. No issues pushing the 42's. I should note though that the diesel is NOT as perfect a system as some would suggest. There is a 15 mile stretch of highway between Bishop and Mammoth that can be tough on any vehicle. It's a long steep grade and climbing it in triple digit heat can and will cause overheating. When Mel was coming up, he kept and eye on his temps and as it climbed, his power decreased. About half way up, the temps were high enough to have his rig creeping along at just 55 mph. Of course, he knew this would be the case based on what we already knew from our friends at Jeep but this was the first time he'd seen it in person. Same would happen with a 392. With that said, a 3.6L could take on this same climb and without any issues.
That would not happen on the 392. The issue with the diesel is the intercooler heat soaking the radiator as it's right in front of it due to the super small frontal area on the JL/JT. At higher temps and higher loads it can get warm and start to derate some.

You have to also be careful not to put top mount winches etc on top of the bumper blocking the lower part of the radiator for cooling. The intercooler is in front of top ~1/3rd of the radiator so the bottom part being clear is key under heavy loads.

As for the 392 it was tested running Davis damn hill fully loaded with 3500 lb trailer and at 110F as part of J2807 trailer testing and didn't skip a beat. It could have taken more powertrain wise (I won't say how much further it went but it was significant) but the Wrangler towing is limited by vehicle stability. The factory 392 isn't an aftermarket swap. Spent years testing it esp at high ambients making sure it won't overheat. 😁

wjtstudios

Hooked
That would not happen on the 392. The issue with the diesel is the intercooler heat soaking the radiator as it's right in front of it due to the super small frontal area on the JL/JT. At higher temps and higher loads it can get warm and start to derate some.

You have to also be careful not to put top mount winches etc on top of the bumper blocking the lower part of the radiator for cooling. The intercooler is in front of top ~1/3rd of the radiator so the bottom part being clear is key under heavy loads.

As for the 392 it was tested running Davis damn hill fully loaded with 3500 lb trailer and at 110F as part of J2807 trailer testing and didn't skip a beat. It could have taken more powertrain wise (I won't say how much further it went but it was significant) but the Wrangler towing is limited by vehicle stability. The factory 392 isn't an aftermarket swap. Spent years testing it esp at high ambients making sure it won't overheat. 😁
You have such a great job. If you ever need a hand testing, give me a shout 🤣🤣

benatc1

Hooked

I don't know for sure either way, but I'm thinking, with 42s like Mel has, on a 392 that would have some effect on temperature's in that situation, granted I know heat has been an issue on the gladiator Diesel back to the release of the towing capacity #, which you clearly explained why. Idk, I could be totally wrong, just a thought.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
I don't know for sure either way, but I'm thinking, with 42s like Mel has, on a 392 that would have some effect on temperature's in that situation, granted I know heat has been an issue on the gladiator Diesel back to the release of the towing capacity #, which you clearly explained why. Idk, I could be totally wrong, just a thought.
Not really I doubt. I'll tell you in a few months for sure. Lol

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
that was great! feels like 100 years since I've been on the Rubicon and would like to run it again in the near future.
SxS suck no matter where they go, no etiquette and only one speed-- fucktard ... not a fan lol
What really sucks is that it's only gonna get worse.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Really? We were kinda thinking that if the Jeep were stock, it wouldn't of had any problems and that the 42's, 1-ton axles and running 5.38's in 100+ degree heat up a steep grade for 15 miles is what really gave the diesel grief. But if you're saying the 392 wouldn't skip a beat with all that going on, AWESOME! (y) I don't know of a single HEMI swap that can do it.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Really? We were kinda thinking that if the Jeep were stock, it wouldn't of had any problems and that the 42's, 1-ton axles and running 5.38's in 100+ degree heat up a steep grade for 15 miles is what really gave the diesel grief. But if you're saying the 392 wouldn't skip a beat with all that going on, AWESOME! (y) I don't know of a single HEMI swap that can do it.
Ya that was on of the key things we made sure of :)

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Looks like another great trip for you guys. I’m glad you made it though with minimal damage. It really sucks that the tree on big sluice fell, it always added to the challenge.

Top Bottom